Analyze this amazing performance: Part Deux

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Liney Bear
antispam: No

Analyze this amazing performance: Part Deux

Post by Liney Bear »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtSjM3YU7Qw

You could make the argument that this belongs in the Great and Awesome Youtube Thread, but I hope you'll forgive me once you watch it.

About 1:12 into the clip, Matt Molloy begins to dominate all life on earth with his invincible super powers.

Thanks to Blackwood for finding it.
Aanvil

Re: Analyze this amazing performance: Part Deux

Post by Aanvil »

Liney Bear wrote: ...Matt Molloy begins to dominate all life on earth with his invincible super powers.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Indeed. I think you can hear thunder starting to roll in the background... literally.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Whistlin'Dixie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

But who's that Roger-Daltry-looking individual with the bottle, that's what I want to know....

M
norcalbob

Post by norcalbob »

Well there ya' are...you'd be hard pressed to say that that young lass, Ms. McAuliffe, is any better than this gent with the white beard. Man, what talent!
And the youtube videos of the mid-70's Bothy Band with Molloy are amazing as well. Thanks for the link.
Bob

Come to the edge/ It's too high/ Come to the edge/ We might fall/ Come to the edge/ And we came/ And he pushed/ And we flew!
Guillaume Apollinaire
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

AWESOME!

Being mortal sucks!

The man can crack walnuts with his lips!

Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:But who's that Roger-Daltry-looking individual with the bottle, that's what I want to know....
Yes, who are you Roger-Daltry-looking individual? Who, who? Who, who?

it's Himself in case you didn't know.
rama
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:But who's that Roger-Daltry-looking individual with the bottle, that's what I want to know....

M
that's strange, i didn't see roger daltry. i saw naked women. wow, matt's playing really does have magical powers!
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

yey! i've been looking for this video a couple of month ago but i didn't find it, and finally here it is! thanks for sharing this!!!

and just a personal opinion: matt molloy>kevin crawford :D
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

A personal opinion: too fast.

I prefer this one.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I'm inclined to agree with Gabriel - absolutely stunning technically, and he carries it off, but I suspect he himself would say it was too fast - it certainly subjectively seems faster to me than other renditions of that setting by him I have heard, not that I've tried to test that in any scientific way. I wouldn't list it in my favourite MM performances (if I did such lists!).
Still-an'-all, he was unashamedly showboating! He has more than adequately proven his real musical sensibilities over many years, and if you can, why not occasionally?
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Nothing wrong with speed in the right hands - Roger certainly seemed be enjoying it. As Jem says, MM was exuberantly showboating and doing a nice job of it, at that. Of course, he wouldn't have played at that speed with others trying to play along, nor to relax and enjoy a nice tune by himself. In the context of this concert hall moment, the speed was just fine. Most players - even good ones - usually lose the lift big-time at that tempo, and ruin the music altogether. MM doesn't, and it's great to see someone actually speed up as they get older...
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

What impresses me most is the calm mien he displays as he dishes it out. Rather than pulling a face to show how hard it is, he seems to be almost understating the whole thing. I'm sure Molloy's got more on tap than he ever lets show. Cheers,

Rob
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I have that "Live in Dublin" recording of this, and it doesn't sound quite as fast to start -- in the video, he seems to start tempowise more where he ends up on my recording. Although Paddy Maloney says the same thing at the end of this go, so ... :?

But on the audio recording I have he seems to "wind up" the tempo a little more throughout, which I get a kick out of -- all that technical exercise plus the lift plus constant tempo ramping, plus ....

The guy's amazing.

And besides. He's Matt Molloy; he can do what he wants.

Next up: a reinterpretation of this tune with ... Martin Hayes. Whaddya think?
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Il Friscaletto

Post by Il Friscaletto »

My God, at times it sounds as if he's actually playing accompaniment to himself!
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

keep in mind that the performance is cut in half. During the concert he actually plays it through twice. They did a very good editing job making it seemless, but when they cut from the band kick-off to his solo performance the speed-up seems unnatural as they immideiately cut to his second time through. He had slowly sped it up during the 1st time he played it through.

That build-up is unfortunately missing.