The golden age of piping,who's too blame?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Uilliam »

rorybbellows wrote: now we have pipers in every country on the planet.

RORY
I bet we don't.Rory given all the questions ye ask can we look forward to ye finishing yer dissy-tation on the subject of uilleann pipes soon??my bad of course I meant dissertation :wink:
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Hm, Well I live about 6,000 miles from Ireland, yet Davy Spillane and Michael Flatley's riverdance had no bearing on my discovery of the uilleann pipes.

I would say Paddy Moloney and the Chieftains had the biggest impact with bringing the pipes (as well as Irish trad anyways) to new eyes all around the world aside from Ireland, then Planxty and The Bothy Band as a close second. I would say this simply because of how long the Chieftains have been around, some 45 years now. I don't think MF's Riverdance has been around that long so how could they have impacted more people? I don't know but, something to think about I guess. I'm not arguing MF isn't known, but I feel the Chieftains have done more for the rest of the world (again aside from Ireland) in opening eyes than MF.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Uilliam wrote:
rorybbellows wrote: now we have pipers in every country on the planet.

RORY
I bet we don't.Rory given all the questions ye ask can we look forward to ye finishing yer dissy-tation on the subject of uilleann pipes soon??my bad of course I meant dissertation :wink:
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
I,m sure Uilliam's making a good point ,I just wish I knew what it was .

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

rorybbellows wrote:The success of riverdance for the first few years rests firmly on the shoulders of Micheal Flatley.
If credit should go anywhere, it should go to the producers of the show, John McColgan and Moya Doherty.
PJ
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

Uilliam wrote:God
& Bill Gates
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Hans-Joerg wrote:
Uilliam wrote:God
& Bill Gates
Yep one and the same :wink:
Rory ifn ye don't know then I guess it will be the dissy version. :wink: :wink:
The title of this thread is a wee bit negative methinks, blame betokens wrangdoing :wink: :wink: :wink:
If it is the correct Title then it is definately God and Bill Gates and of course twinkle toes who thinks he is Gods gift anyways. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

PJ wrote:
rorybbellows wrote:The success of riverdance for the first few years rests firmly on the shoulders of Micheal Flatley.
If credit should go anywhere, it should go to the producers of the show, John McColgan and Moya Doherty.
which one of those two choreographed the dancers to sync up with the pre-recorded tap-track? :P
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: The golden age of piping,who's too blame?

Post by pancelticpiper »

rorybbellows wrote: So if you were to name one person who you think was instrumental in the (post Leo Rowsome) modern revival in Uilleann piping who would you think that is ?
I tend to agree with alot of the experts who have been around long enough to know ,and say that without Micheal Flatley alot of people would not got into piping.The membership of NPU shot up in the years after Riverdance as this was their first exposure to Irish culture and then one thing lead to another.
I don't know anything about the situation in Ireland, but the situation here in the US is pretty much as Rory implies.
I started in the mid-1970's and was inspired by Paddy Moloney, Liam O Flynn, Paddy Keenan, and Finbar Furey. I had albums of all of these before 1980.
Though these inspired me, they didn't seem to inspire many others.
I spent decades as the only uilleann piper in the area. I would get calls from people expressing interest in the pipes a couple times a month.
Then two things hit the American public's awareness at about the same time:
Riverdance and Braveheart.
Suddenly, instead of two calls a month, I was getting a half-dozen calls a week. Sometimes several a day. It seemed like thousands of Americans had suddenly "discovered" the uilleann pipes and were hot to get a set.
These people, used to the factories-to-wholesale-to-retail nature of the normal music industry, could not comprehend that there was no place on the planet that they could walk in and buy a set.
I tried to explain that there were only about a dozen makers (which was, as far as I could tell, the case at that time) and that a maker could take a month to make a full set. 12 x 12 = 144 sets, the entire world production of uilleann pipes per year. I might get that many calls from people looking for pipes in a month!
So I would say the biggest impact was by Eric Rigler (and of course the composer who hired him, and the director and producer who hired the composer) and next the piper in Riverdance (and the guy who composed the music and hired the piper).
Funny, the summer before Braveheart there were two or three movies that used uilleann pipes in the soundtrack, Rob Roy, The Field, and perhaps a third. Maybe these prepared the American audience for the pipes in Braveheart, who can say?
But it was the dual and cross-fertilising impact of Braveheart and Riverdance that put the pipes on the map for most Americans.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, the movie about the sinking of the Titanic had a big influence too.

I had several calls about the UPs after that showed in the theaters.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

pancelticpiper wrote: But it was the dual and cross-fertilising impact of Braveheart and Riverdance that put the pipes on the map for most Americans.
Funny thing about Braveheart: when I list that film as one that has uilleann pipes throughout (and no GHB pipes at all if I recall) most people assumed they were hearing Scottish (GHB) pipes in that soundtrack. After all, it is a movie about Scotland.

We have so much work to do :(

t
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

tommykleen wrote:After all, it is a movie about Scotland.
... with a significant part of the filming taking place in Ireland (all of the battle scenes, IIRC), not to mention co-starring Brendan Gleeson.
PJ
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

I have to say in the east USA there was already an awareness of the instrument before the 'big plunge'. All the eastcoast cities have huge Irish populations, both direct transplants and 1st generation, and plenty of cultural product (Ive always been able to get brown sauce, stout & malt vinegar, for instance). AND a fair amount of pipes sitting in attics...
Dont know about the rest of the US: but here it was more like a groundswell reaching a critical mass rather than the 'big-bang' Titan/River/Heart/Roy/Field/Waking Ned Divine theory...
Let's just hope it keeps swelling, as Ive noticed a signifigant decline in the call for Uilleann lately...

perhaps the question we should be asking is "what more can we do to insure the pipes stay connected to the people???" 8)
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

PJ wrote:
tommykleen wrote:After all, it is a movie about Scotland.
... with a significant part of the filming taking place in Ireland (all of the battle scenes, IIRC), not to mention co-starring Brendan Gleeson.
Agus Liam Neeson Aka Rob Rory talking in his perfect Ulster brogue :wink:
This seems to be a very American centred topic or it has drifted that way wot wi the Titanic and all "The Pride of Irish Shipbuilding"now in on the act.Of what possible use is this all to wee Rory?Wot do the folks in Tibet or Mongolia think of their new found exposure to the Pipes as revealed by you know whom??
Seems like the practice has taken a back seat...
Uilliam
PJ

Post by PJ »

Uilliam wrote:Agus Liam Neeson Aka Rob Rory talking in his perfect Ulster brogue :wink:
What's the fuss? They're all Celtic* anyway, right? :-?

*pronounced with a soft c.
PJ
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

There's one scene in Braveheart with highland pipes, I haven't watched the movie in a while, but I believe it was during one of the first real battle scenes while the Scots were busy showing off their behinds. Falkirk? Also during the 'games' scene (actually I think it was a wedding reception type deal more I think of it) towards the beginning, sounds like smallpipes (?) were played.

I have the movie, and in the extra features, is a little clip were Mel claims the uilleann pipes were used because they were "more melodical" then the highland pipes to which I believe he said sound like screaming cats or such... I just thought it was rediculous how during William's father's funeral, they showed a guy playing highland pipes, while in fact uilleann pipes were playing... Haha, well lets not get started on the inaccuracies of Braveheart, I've seen that conversation turn into a real scrap in no time fast. So back to the topic at hand here...
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.