Very cold this morning...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

20 F in Birmingham. 15 F yesterday.
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Man you guys have it rough... It got down to maybe 38F here in Phoenix! :D Roughly 3 C...

High of about 60ish F or 15 C.

Don't you just love the desert?
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

It's been around 10 to 15 degrees fahrenheit for the last few days. Three feet of snow in the last 24 hours.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Key_of_D wrote:Man you guys have it rough... It got down to maybe 38F here in Phoenix! :D Roughly 3 C...

High of about 60ish F or 15 C.

Don't you just love the desert?
Wow. I'll bet everything closed down for the cold. :lol:

I just logged on to tease of the folks down south who are having a real taste of winter this year.

I wonder if it's possible, but I'd like to have a demographic chart of the number of people who burn their houses down from misuse of space heaters. My guess is the number is real high in the south right now.

We had some joker try to thaw his water pipes with a blow torch yesterday in Constantine MI. You can imagine the outcome. I hope he has insurance.

Having lived in a mobile home for 20 years I'm quite the expert at such things as frozen water pipes. The trick is to have a lot of heat tape.
In addition, most trailer parks have the water inlet about 2 feet from the outside of the trailer. There's a bend in the pipe where it goes from the ground to the trailer. That bend is the key point as it's more difficult to wrap with tape. Make sure it's double wrapped. Then wrap the whole thing from inlet to trailer with insulation and cover it with at least a foot of blankets and tarps. If it does manage to freeze (unlikely), unwrap the whole mess and use a hair dryer on the elbow bend.

Another heat saving device is snow. If you have enough snow, shovel the snow up into a pile around the skirting of the trailer so no wind can blow beneath.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

fel bautista wrote:Probably no sympathy for us out in So Cal- it was ( I think) low 40Fs at 8 am when we went for our Sunday bike ride.
You're missing out. We love to bike in Minnesota, our bike trails are pristine along the river and there wasn't a cloud in the sky this weekend. Eyelashes collect moisture from your breath and freeze together when you blink, it is the feeling of living. For what is life without sensation? Heat, cold, wet, and dry that is life! The moving in and out of one climate controlled environment to another deprives us from that, it is like a living death, and living in California must be like constantly living indoors.

I pity you.

The light blanket of snow covers the dirt and detritus and makes the land look clean and new, we cannot see the rotting leaves and brown snow that you must see every day. I lived in a place that did not have snow, it almost drove me mad.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I.D.10-t wrote:
fel bautista wrote:Probably no sympathy for us out in So Cal- it was ( I think) low 40Fs at 8 am when we went for our Sunday bike ride.
You're missing out. We love to bike in Minnesota, our bike trails are pristine along the river and there wasn't a cloud in the sky this weekend. Eyelashes collect moisture from your breath and freeze together when you blink, it is the feeling of living. For what is life without sensation? Heat, cold, wet, and dry that is life! The moving in and out of one climate controlled environment to another deprives us from that, it is like a living death, and living in California must be like constantly living indoors.

I pity you.

The light blanket of snow covers the dirt and detritus and makes the land look clean and new, we cannot see the rotting leaves and brown snow that you must see every day. I lived in a place that did not have snow, it almost drove me mad.
Exactly why I have respect for you folks up in the hinterland.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

It was 0F when I got up this morning. It's warmed up to 14F at noon, with a wind chill of 6F. Still, the sun is shining, so I think I'll go run some errands this afternoon. Besides, it's probably a good thing to drive the old Blazer a bit and get all the fluids circulating.

So glad I got a couple of extra days off this week so I don't have to stand in a cold store with gaps in the doors half an inch wide. I don't know why the owner can't find weatherstripping for those doors - they are metal with glass, but we found weatherstipping for a similar door at my husband's store, so it's out there if Bob will only spend the money on it. Why does 69 seem so nice and warm outside in the spring, but in a building 69 feels cold? And yes, I do wear layers at work.
Charlene
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

It's warmed up here, but now we've had about a foot of snow in the past 24 hours. Nothing compared to what Jerry had to cope with last week, but the Spokane Public School District has announced that school will be closed tomorrow, city hall will be closed, and the Dept. of Emergency Services is asking all employers to consider closing tomorrow.
Charlene
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

Wimps, all of you! :lol: (Except maybe in Minnesota. People from Minnesota move to Fairbanks because the weather is so much nicer here.)

The low temperature in Fairbanks, Alaska on Sunday was -43 F. That's cold enough that reporting in Celsius makes it sound a little better: it's only -42 C. (The two scales agree at -40.)
Today, however, it is much warmer. It was a balmy -13 F when I arrived at work at 7 a.m., and is forecast to get above zero this afternoon! Woo hoo!
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

HDSarah wrote:Wimps, all of you! :lol: (Except maybe in Minnesota. People from Minnesota move to Fairbanks because the weather is so much nicer here.)

The low temperature in Fairbanks, Alaska on Sunday was -43 F. That's cold enough that reporting in Celsius makes it sound a little better: it's only -42 C. (The two scales agree at -40.)
Today, however, it is much warmer. It was a balmy -13 F when I arrived at work at 7 a.m., and is forecast to get above zero this afternoon! Woo hoo!
I think everyone will agree that you win the prize for temperature! And I would bet that your schools stay open regardless. Here in Spokane the kids got another snow day - the plows couldn't get to all the bus routes. It's snowing again. If they have Wednesday off also they may as well give them the whole week, because Friday is a scheduled day off for semester break.
Charlene
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

HDSarah wrote:Wimps, all of you! :lol: (Except maybe in Minnesota. People from Minnesota move to Fairbanks because the weather is so much nicer here.)

Where the heck do you live, anyway??? It's only maybe 6F right now (and yesterday's high was around 39F. I'm dizzy.). Should drop to -16F tonight. You know someone's gonna be out there wearing shorts. I shake my head.

And you're right about the Minnesotans/Alaska thing. We speak of the counterintuitive Alaska phenomenon in tones of something akin to awe, reverence, and envy. It's a sort of a local cultural meme.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

Charlene wrote: I think everyone will agree that you win the prize for temperature!

Thank you, thank you. I hope the prize is a nice cuddly blanket, or maybe some thick mittens. :D
Charlene wrote: And I would bet that your schools stay open regardless.

The schools never close for cold temperatures, but the elementary school kids don't have outdoor recess if it's colder than -20 F. I've never known the local schools to close for snow. However, a few years ago we had a rare January thaw and freezing rain ( :boggle: ! I thought we were safe from that here in Alaska -- I went to college in Massachussetts and thought the horror of freezing rain was a New England thing.). The school buses couldn't navigate the ice-coated hills so they closed the public schools. Kind of ironic: we keep going if it's 50 below zero, but when it got up around melting everything fell apart. :lol:
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

It's 65 outside right now, but it's been around 40 for almost two weeks. And people don't know what to do with themselves. It's funny.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

It's a trade-off. While the people who are living in sub-zero temperatures brag about their cold weather, when it hits 80F they'll be complaining about how hot and dreadful the heat is, while in the summer where I live in the summer we're lucky if the low hits 80, while the high is 110F or higher! And yes, I'd be complaining about how cold it is in Alaska or Minnesota.. :lol: Hell I'm unhappy when it's in the 30's (F) ! But I can take the heat just fine, I'm used to it.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
Flyingcursor

Post by Flyingcursor »

Key_of_D wrote:It's a trade-off. While the people who are living in sub-zero temperatures brag about their cold weather, when it hits 80F they'll be complaining about how hot and dreadful the heat is,
You got that right! I don't mind temps in the low 90s if the dewpoints are in the mid 50s but any humidity past a 60 degree dewpoint is too much for me.