mahanpots' thumb rest for low whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mahanpots
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

mahanpots' thumb rest for low whistle

Post by mahanpots »

Here's my version of a simple thumbrest. Just wrap some string (colored or not) around where your thumb needs to rest and it provides me with a slight edge to rest my thumb against.

If you don't know how to wrap, try this page:

http://www.merricktackle.com/tips/perfection2.gif

Michael
Last edited by mahanpots on Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Whistling Archer

Post by Whistling Archer »

Good idea. I dont really need a rest, but I think Ill try it out and see>
Thanks
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

Is that one of those Nickel-covered brass low whistles that are all over ebay?
(for example, here)

If so, what caused the patina? It's a pleasant color, and looks rugged with the wrapping...
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

Not hardly. It's a whistle I made from an aluminum shower curtain rod following online instructions. I made two and this one sounds quite nice really. A little quiet.
sound sample at:
http://www.whistlethis.com/index.php?co ... RjMQ%3D%3D

Michael
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: mahanpots' thumb rest for low whistle

Post by MTGuru »

mahanpots wrote:Here's my version of a simple thumbrest. Just wrap some string (colored or not) around where your thumb needs to rest and it provides me with a slight edge to rest my thumb against.
That seems nice and simple, Michael, and it looks good too. I tried a similar idea with rubber bands, and someone else mentioned using a large O-ring for extra non-slippage.

In my case, I decided I wanted something to support the entire weight while experimenting with hand positions. And the most comfortable position would involve wrapping over the B1 hole itself. Besides, as a former sax and clarinet player, I guess the idea of full thumb support seemed natural. Hence the strap.

P.S. I looked at your pottery on your website. Beautiful pieces! The tree pots are particularly striking.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

mahanpots wrote:Not hardly. It's a whistle I made from an aluminum shower curtain rod following online instructions. I made two and this one sounds quite nice really. A little quiet.
Neat! I apologize for maligning your craftsmanship, that sounds way better
than those ebay specials. In the third picture, it looked coppery inside, which
is why I asked.
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

MtGuru wrote:
That seems nice and simple, Michael, and it looks good too. I tried a similar idea with rubber bands, and someone else mentioned using a large O-ring for extra non-slippage.

In my case, I decided I wanted something to support the entire weight while experimenting with hand positions. And the most comfortable position would involve wrapping over the B1 hole itself. Besides, as a former sax and clarinet player, I guess the idea of full thumb support seemed natural. Hence the strap.

P.S. I looked at your pottery on your website. Beautiful pieces! The tree pots are particularly striking.
I found my whistle kept sliding out of my fingers, and my wrapping worked for that purpose. I see how your idea could free your hands up to experiment with hand positions. My problem with the whistle in my photograph is my Left-hand grip. If I don't use the pipers grip with that hand, I get pains in my fingers. My Shaw low D is designed with chimneys in the G hole and the E hole I believe which shortens the space between holes, making for a more comfortable grip, but the damn thing takes so much air. Then, the more I play it, the easier it gets. But then, the more I play it, the less I play my flute, and that's my main instrument.

P.S. Thanks for checking out my website; I'm hoping to bring some pots over to Ireland in February and find a market for them there, eventually creating a space to work over there.

fearfaoin wrote:
I apologize for maligning your craftsmanship...
Actually, I looked at the picture on Ebay of those whistles and thought they looked much better-crafted than my shower curtain rod whistle.

By the way, how did you view the 3rd picture. It doesn't show up in my browser. Part of the problem may be that the last ] won't transfer when I upload the page.

Michael
Ctrl Alt Del

Post by Ctrl Alt Del »

I can't view the third picture either

BTW: where did you get the instructions for making the whistle? It sounds pretty good.
I find that I need rebooting every now and then!
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

mahanpots wrote:Actually, I looked at the picture on Ebay of those whistles and thought they looked much better-crafted than my shower curtain rod whistle.
They're not, I assure you. The toneholes are equally spaced and the same
size, so the intonation is not great... It's a get-what-you-pay-for kinda thing.
mahanpots wrote:By the way, how did you view the 3rd picture. It doesn't show up in my browser. Part of the problem may be that the last ] won't transfer when I upload the page.
I quoted your post and fixed the ], then hit Preview. Like this:
mahanpots wrote:Image
You should be able to click the Edit button on your original post and fix the ]
You probably just accidentally backspaced over the ] when you first posted it.
Last edited by fearfaoin on Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

mahanpots wrote:By the way, how did you view the 3rd picture. It doesn't show up in my browser. Part of the problem may be that the last ] won't transfer when I upload the page.
I think you can edit your post and add that last bracket manually.

Oops, fearfaoin beat me to it. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

I feel soooo stupid. I tried several times to edit my post to get that third picture to show, and finally was about to give up, and I thought: 'Okay, I'll Cut the picture, then Paste it at the bottom........ OOOOOH, I've been trying to edit the wrong f-ing picture.....

Thanks anyways.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Did that whistle come from the bottom of the sea? It looks like it's been down there for a while.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird