GDAE Banjo tuning

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
squeezebox99
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

GDAE Banjo tuning

Post by squeezebox99 »

What type of strings (wound vs unwound) and thinkness of strings are recommended? THanks
Margaret
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Hi Margaret,

Both wound and unwound strings will make up the set that you use, so both are actually used at the same time. I use 0.014" (E), 0.020" (A), 0.030" (D), and 0.040" (G). The G, D, and A strings are wound and the E is plain, although some players will use a plain A string as well.

Strings for Irish GDAE tuning are available as matched sets from several manufacturers. I use the John Pearse brand.
Last edited by Tim2723 on Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I usually put Octave Mandolin strings on my tenor banjo, and they sound pretty good (and you get two sets because it's for a mandolin):

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/GOMPB.htm

44/32/22/12

All the tenor banjos I've had have been shorter scale 17 fret ones...might not work as well on a 19 fret one.

-Brett
liestman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by liestman »

I use strings similar to what Tim said, but I prefer a .018 plain (unwound) on the A. I think they break less often and have a different tone than a .020 wound.

No one mentioned type of string (i.e. nickel or phosphor bronze) but I prefer phosphor bronze. To me the nickel strings sound dull.
yer friend and mine,
John Liestman
Ro3b
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ro3b »

liestman wrote:I use strings similar to what Tim said, but I prefer a .018 plain (unwound) on the A. I think they break less often and have a different tone than a .020 wound.
I agree, but on the other hand, an unwound string can sound thin and boingy without sufficient tension. If you like lighter gauges, you may prefer a wound A, especially if you have a shorter-scale instrument.
No one mentioned type of string (i.e. nickel or phosphor bronze) but I prefer phosphor bronze. To me the nickel strings sound dull.
+1 on that too. About the only instrument I don't like phosphors on is the mandolin.
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Good point there. I also prefer phosphor bronze for the wound strings.

It might take a bit of experimenting to find just the right strings for your particular banjo and playing style. Almost every shop and Internet supplier offers single strings which make trial and error easier and cheaper. It doesn't matter if they're labeled guitar strings or banjo strings or octave mandolin or whatever. They are all really the same strings just packaged for convenience when in sets. Some regular mandolin strings are too short for the job, but otherwise just look for loop end strings and go from there.

One of the banjo's strong points can also be a source of frustration. I don't think there's any other instrument that can be altered so much by the player. Different strings, different bridges, the angle of the tailpiece, and of course, the tension and construction of the head itself, all modify the tone dramatically. If you're not getting the tone you desire from selecting strings, there's tons you can do to change it. The banjo is the great tinkerer's instrument.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info