22 Downloads left... any suggestions?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Trixle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

22 Downloads left... any suggestions?

Post by Trixle »

Hello, still kinda new to Irish Trad (grew up on hip-hop/r&b) but for the last 8 months since playing whistle i've been exposed to some great bands and musicians. I've been subscribing for the last few months to emusic.com for my irish trad, and have basically 22 downloads left for the month but am a little stuck on what i should get.

So far i have a bunch of Planxty, some flook Albums(haven, Flatfish, rubai) all the lunasa albums on there (Redwood, lunasa, Se, Merry sisters of Fate, otherworld) Forty years of Irish piping (seamus Ennis) some Cheiftains, Leo Rowsome's Classics of Irish Pipering, Like 3 Danu Albums, Both Feadoga Stains, Cormac Breatnach, Brian Hughes, Cherish the ladies, and some various Irish Folk Mixes. Also HEathery Breeze by Matt Molloy. Also i have a few Bothy Band Albums (first, old hag, best of) Also got Micho Russo on itunes.

I'm looking to expand my flute players but, not really familiar with the genre, i dont really know what to even look for. I guess what i'm asking is, who are some of the greats that are popular enough to have legitimate digital downloads?

I know they do have a Paddy Carty(sp) album on their, i was thinking about getting this but figured since i have enough for one good album and a few songs, i should probably get the opinion of those who know.

Thanks!
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Get the Paddy Carty. It's a no-brainer. The entire album is good, despite the accompaniment. I listen to it as much or more than any other flute-centric album.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
rh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

save for later:

Michael McGoldrick

Laurence Nugent

Kevin Crawford

Seamus Egan

also, don't forget about the flute geezers and Michael Clarkson's site, both of which are excellent and free :D
Trixle

Post by Trixle »

ooh, thanks! I think i will get the Paddy Carty, maybe download a few samples from those others :) Never heard of a few of those others, thanks for hipping me to them :)
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: 22 Downloads left... any suggestions?

Post by kkrell »

Trixle wrote: I'm looking to expand my flute players but, not really familiar with the genre, i dont really know what to even look for.
Definitely get the Geezers downloads, and Michael Clarkson's site..

Then, not free, but short samples:

http://www.worldtrad.org/WFO_CD2.htm
http://www.worldtrad.org/WFO2_CD2.htm
http://www.worldtrad.org/WFO3_CD2.htm

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
brotherwind

Re: 22 Downloads left... any suggestions?

Post by brotherwind »

kkrell wrote:
Hi, these are not free, but an excellent start to browse into different styles of playing, sounds, etc.. Very worthwhile!

I second the Paddy Carty album is a very nice one.

I recommend Mike Rafferty's albums (Speed 78, Dangerous Reel etc.). Personally I like John Wynne's, Conor Byrne's and Paul McGrattan's albums very much.
Oh there are so many more,....

Good luck to retrieve some nice ones!

Moritz
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

I do advise Danu - Think Before You Think
and Tannahill Weavers - Leaving St. Kilda
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Rarely mentioned here - the Stockton's Wing albums, especially the first three, have superb instrumental tracks. (Avoid the song tracks like the plague!!!!!!) Paul Roche is a superb flute/whistle player, and Kieran Hanrahan on banjo, Maurice Lennon on fiddle, Tommy Hayes on bodhran ..... superb stuff - rarely rivalled at the time or since. I think the LPs were all on the Tara label - I've no idea if they're available online, though.

Flute players specifically..... Jean-Michel Veillon. Jean-Michel Veillon. Jean-Michel Veillon. Jean-Michel Veillon.................
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

Have you purchased the Wooden Flute Obsession Series? Worth it for hearing a large number of excellent flute players, and hearing their styles and sounds. Kevin Krell would be happy to oblige. :)
Trixle

Post by Trixle »

Ah, thanks for the tips. I already had think before you think, and i agree it's an awesome album. The "Are we ready yet" set is what first got me interested in the flute (as opposed to just the whistle).

As far as pink floyd goes, i've had most of their albums for years :P

I ended up getting the Paddy Carty and a few straggling tunes from the others mentioned and Leo Rowsome's Fox Chase. Also checked out the flute geezers and the Michael Clarkson sight.

Only 3 and a half more weeks until i have 75 more downloads, i'll definitely be looking into those others in early february :)
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Wormdiet wrote:Get the Paddy Carty. It's a no-brainer. The entire album is good, despite the accompaniment. I listen to it as much or more than any other flute-centric album.
The best flute album ever, IMO, although what makes it so good is hard to pin down.

If you don't already have it, Music at Matt Malloy's is also a terrific recording; the best ever from the chieftains stable. It's also the recording which comes the closest to capturing the elusive untamed, four-legged irtrad in it's native abode.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Jumbuk

Post by Jumbuk »

You mentioned Heathery Breeze by Matt Molloy - the "other one" is even better, IMO.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Try and get hold of Conal O'Grada's CD "Top of Coom". Has everything you'll need, wild and raw
Trixle

Post by Trixle »

Steampacket wrote:Try and get hold of Conal O'Grada's CD "Top of Coom". Has everything you'll need, wild and raw
I'll check it out :) I'm digging the Paddy Carty alot now. His playing and song selection are right up my alley (i just love the tunes he chose for that album.) My only disappointment is that Old Hag at the end is played on...is it a banjo? Bouzouki? I was hoping for a flute rendition (it's the only song on the album that i already know, but its on a stringed instrument. I guess i could break out the guitar and strum along, though, so it's not all bad....)