Generation Bb

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bothrops
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Bothrops »

caberman wrote:This is on a new brass Bb Gen
http://www.tinwhistletunes.com/clipssni ... )MarkF.mp3
Very nice playing, dude!
pipersgrip
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

that is probably my favorite whistle, if not then it is up there.
caberman

Post by caberman »

Thanks Bothrops for your comment!
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Mine (brass red top) has been a favorite for 30 years! Mellow, easy to reach, sweet, just a lovely pitch and a lovely whistle.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Bloomfield wrote:I love my Generation Bb, one of my favorite whistles.
Nice one Bloomie! And Bothrops! And Jem!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
boatgirl

Post by boatgirl »

All the talk of Gen whistles on this forum prompted me to order a set from the great Tweaker Mr Freeman for Christmas. Alas I am with a broken heart as my set is lost somewhere in the mail system so I cannot yet comment. I am hopeful they will arrive before the end of the month as I've lost all interest in my clarke sweetones and walton with the anticipation of the gens. :sniffle:
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I have a brass Generation Bb I picked up in 1985. I have a Hoover Blacktop fipple for it which makes it my favorite solo whistle.

The fipple broke when I removed it, but I repaired it by winding some nylex waxed thread on the fipple. It played well "out of the box".

I don't care for the nickel plated tubes as they get very slick when I relax fully and I end up playing "air whistle". :boggle:

I have some Whitecap fipples on order for my C and D brass Generation tubes and am anxiously awaiting their arrival. Image
arnie

Post by arnie »

My Gen Bb is great as well. But after what I've done with it, it's GREAT! I tweaked all my Gens: I removed the rest-plastic from the inside of the fipple , put putty under the windway and a piece of copper behind the windway. My D sounds not much different from my Sindt D anymore, it's beyond believe what a little tweaking can do.
jlunt

Post by jlunt »

I love my Gen Bb brass. When I first got it, I was indifferent. But I played it because it didn't make the dogs want to leave home. After a short time, having figured it out properly, it has become my preferred whistle, with just a couple of fairly inconsequential tweaks.
Merry Blacksmith on a Feadog.
Absent-Minded Woman.
Yes... I am a beginner.
lyrick

Post by lyrick »

arnie wrote: I tweaked all my Gens: I removed the rest-plastic from the inside of the fipple , put putty under the windway and a piece of copper behind the windway. My D sounds not much different from my Sindt D anymore, it's beyond believe what a little tweaking can do.
Arnie, would you mind elaborating on your tweak, especially giving specific details on the "piece of copper behind the windway"? I'm interested in trying it. Thanks.
Love...Serve...Remember
boomerang

Post by boomerang »

Hi Caberman,
yes good tune, and well played (to all who posted also)
good to see a few more aussies on the board,
keep up the good work.
for what its worth my opinion the Bb:

The Bb, is easy on the ears, a good starter to start a practice session on, gets the wind in the lungs, and a comfortabe finger stretch, so that when you change to a D, it just sings so easily, like most gen's there are some better then most but i have not been dissappointed by the 4 Bb Gen's i have already (2 brass, 2 Nickel)
Its a versitile whistle i would not be without, not to mention the affordability / value for money vs quality
Regards
David
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Yup, I love my brass Gen. Bb. Only thing I did to it was the fipple cavity fill-in treatment, and it's one of my favorite whistle to play, the patina on it should reveal that.

Only thing better then one brass Gen Bb, is two perfectly in tuned. :D
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
arnie

Post by arnie »

lyrick wrote:
arnie wrote: I tweaked all my Gens: I removed the rest-plastic from the inside of the fipple , put putty under the windway and a piece of copper behind the windway. My D sounds not much different from my Sindt D anymore, it's beyond believe what a little tweaking can do.
Arnie, would you mind elaborating on your tweak, especially giving specific details on the "piece of copper behind the windway"? I'm interested in trying it. Thanks.
I'm Dutch and haven't got the right words for it, but with the copper behind the windway I mean the following: there is the windway where on one end the air flows in and on the other end the air flows out. Then the air goes up and out of the hole of the fipple. There I fix the copperpiece. So the air flows out passing the copper. If I had a pciture you would immediately know what I mean, now I don't know if I make it more difficult in explaining. I know there are some pictures of this on the forum somewhere.
I see you have Sindts too?
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I believe that the tweak that arnie used is similar to the Susato O-ring tweak.

I use a "quickie" tweak, a "wall" of poster putty just below the blade (toward the bell) of the whistle.

You can also "focus" the airstream by building a ridge on the edges of the windway, closing it down to quieten or just on the edges similar to the tone ring of the Park Whistles Every whistle.
lyrick

Post by lyrick »

If it's like the O-ring tweak, I understand, but I'm still not sure where a piece of copper would be placed.

Yes, I like my Sindts. I play an Oak more than the Sindt, and have a few Generations that are playable, but I just don't like the Generation sound all that much (in my hands--Peter L. makes them sound awesome). A tweak to make them sound like a Sindt would be mighty nice.

Sorry to sidetrack the original topic.
Love...Serve...Remember