Is Na Piobairi Uilleann a 26 County organisation??

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Uilliam »

Fer feck sake man get a life and stop moaning aboot naff all.If NPU tried to satisfy every whimsical thought that came into oor brains they would get feck all done.Their track record on a global scale is good ,getting better.In case ye havnae realised sadly Ulster is still within the remit of the UK so technically doesnae belong to Ireland (even the Irish constitution has been amended to reflect that)it should by rights be treated no different to say America or anywhere else within the global family.The fact that it does treat quite favourably and without discrimination wi the North could leave the organisation open to the charge of favouritism o'er other countries.Is that what ye want..Numpty :wink:
Slán Agat
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Uilliam wrote:In case ye havnae realised sadly Ulster is still within the remit of the UK so technically doesnae belong to Ireland ...
I'm sure that there are people in Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan who would disagree with this. :wink:
PJ
seananfheadog

Post by seananfheadog »

Not likely harry,

I'm just a beginner on the pipes, like yourself!

J
regs

Post by regs »

J,

Robbie Hannan is the chairman there, Tiarnan O'Duinnchinn teaches at the Willie Clancy Summer School - the pipes classes there are organised by NPU. He also has played at the recital there which is also organised by NPU. Ciarán MacFeidmhlimidh recently played at the Brendan Breathnach night and Daragh Murphy featured on "A New Dawn" (if i remember the name correctly!) which was a CD of young pipers released by NPU. They also released a CD of Sean McAloon's playing.

I know Cillian Vallely now lives in America so that would make it hard for him to play in dublin on a tuesday night.

I think you're being a bit precious!
Harry

Post by Harry »

Yeah, sure, "J", and aren't you off to a great start.

Happy piping (and gigs, and tours, and CD launches), Fruit Cake.

Regards,

"H"
"[insert quote here]" -- A. Page

Piping podcast: http://errantelbows.podbean.com/
Pipewort

Post by Pipewort »

The simple answer to your question is - NO!
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Fair point PJ.OK 2/3rd of Ulster is in the UK in the statelet known as Northern Ireland or as is commonly called in the media over here The Province.
Apologies to Donegal Cavan agus Monaghan but ye knew wot I meant :wink:
Uilliam
Harry

Post by Harry »

I heard that NPU have just secured massive funding for an impressive, state-of-the-art venue, interpretive center and Northern administrative headquarters.

It will be an important new focal point for the traditional Arts in the North of Ireland and will be run on the philosophy of full access for people of all cultural persuasions in the North.

The first phase of the construction of the new center (the 'drop in' centre, CD shop and cafe) is due to commence early next year on Rathlin Island.

Regards,

Harry.

Wannabe-Piper

Post by Wannabe-Piper »

regs wrote:J,

I know Cillian Vallely now lives in America so that would make it hard for him to play in dublin on a tuesday night.

I!
Since when?
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

While I admire your valiant attempt to defend NPU's position from the banks of the Missouri perhaps the climate in the midwest has affected your ability to engage in discourse in a resoned fashion.
Having spent 31 of my 35 years in Dublin, the climate here hasn't done that much damage yet.
I was merely asking this forum's members if they had noticed NPU's apparent attempts to exclude northern musicians from their calendar of events.
I don't think it's a deliberate attempt to exclude musicians just because they're from a certain part of the country. NPU is a Dublin based pipers club and thats where they go to find musicians for the weekly/monthly events.
I did get a "great pipe" today though (Oooooohhhhr, Maytron!): Just took delivery of a Jim Wenham D chanter. Very nice stick.
Oooohh you are awrful!! Very nice Brother Bradley. Mr Wenham has been turning out some nice stuff of late.
The first phase of the construction of the new center (the 'drop in' centre, CD shop and cafe) is due to commence early next year on Rathlin Island.
This just in from Reuters.
"As part of their world wide domination, NPU's Pat Mitchel has just turned the sod of the foundations for NPU's soon to be completed annex in Ulan Battar.
Respected pipe maker, Donax Al Vindaloo, from Sialkot was very dissapointed that the new office didn't go to the mecca of modern pipemaking, Pakistan. The Mexicans weren't happy either."

Tommy
Harry

Post by Harry »

:lol: Nice one, T.

BTW, Donal, who made the pipes you are learning on? :wink:

Regards,

"H"

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

"J" that lineup is indeed impressive! I saw that "four nations" piping concert in Glasgow in August and it was very interesting- Mick O Brien on uilleann pipes, doing elaborate arrangements with Northumbrian pipes, Scottish smallpipes, and the Musette Du Cour.
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

Northern Ireland musicians...Here's one I've recently added to my collection. Pretty darn good BTW.

http://www.rhapsody.com/album/soundneig ... ernireland
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

I know that in Utah, we go out of our way to preclude ANY of these no-talent wannabe's the likes of David Power and Tommy Martin from ever attending our festivities. sh*t - they're not even MORMON!!! They have no business in Zion and since they seem to just show up at tionóls anyway uninvited and unwanted, the least we can do is subject them to all the bountiful goodness that God has seen fit to bestow those of us behind the Zion curtain: Polygamy Porter and many beautiful blondes.

Although, now that I've since moved far far away myself, I'm sure I'm no longer welcome either! B*stards! :tomato: (serves me and my own variety of very half-assed piping right!)
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

upiper71 wrote:Northern Ireland musicians...Here's one I've recently added to my collection. Pretty darn good BTW.

http://www.rhapsody.com/album/soundneig ... ernireland
The website ye quote is only available in the US fat lot o feckin good that is to the rest o the world :tomato: :really:
Slán Agat :swear:
Uilliam