Questions you thought were too stupid to ask

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
MagicSailor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by MagicSailor »

Lambchop wrote:Is it actually going to hit the fly? Or will the fly slide harmlessly off in the air current that curves around the front of the train?

You'd think that if flies often hit trains, the problem of removing the former flies would be a larger industry than it is. But you never hear about this.

Makes one wonder, doesn't it?
Happy motorcyclists have flies in their teeth...

Had a wasp fly into my helmet once. That was not much fun. I've also washed countless insects off numerous car windscreens back when I used to have cars, and I had to dig one very dead sparrow out of my right headlight once. Well, I had been going a little bit over the speed limit...

Regards,

Owen Morgan
Yacht Magic
Anchored in the lagoon, St Maarten

My new blog.
Click here for my latest reported position. (Use the satellite view.)
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

Lambchop wrote:Is it actually going to hit the fly? Or will the fly slide harmlessly off in the air current that curves around the front of the train?
I'll second MS....
The flys aren't so bad....a bumble bee will leave a heck of a dent in your forehead at 100.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

rorybbellows wrote:When a train travelling at 100 miles per hour hits a fly coming in the opposite direction,does the train really momenterally stop?
Can't imagine why it would... It might decelerate very, very slightly,
but its velocity doesn't go to 0, which is what it means to "stop".
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

MagicSailor wrote:

You'd think that if flies often hit trains, the problem of removing the former flies would be a larger industry than it is. But you never hear about this.

Had a wasp fly into my helmet once. That was not much fun. I've also washed countless insects off numerous car windscreens back when I used to have cars, and I had to dig one very dead sparrow out of my right headlight once. Well, I had been going a little bit over the speed limit...
I had a bee fly into my helmet, once, when I was doing about 75 mph on the freeway. (Back in the pre-gas-crisis days of the '70s, when a gallon of gas was well under a dollar, and speed limits were determined by the maximum safe speed rather than fuel conservation moralists. As far as I can tell, people still drive at the same speeds as before, but worry more about tickets. Yeah, I'm cynical.)

It crawled around a bit, then stung me just under my right ear. Somehow, I managed to avoid flinching, carefully slowed down, and safely pulled of the road to scrape the stinger out. I'm still amazed at my self control.

My next helmet was full-faced rather than an open-faced 3/4 design.

:twisted:
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

MagicSailor wrote:

They do not count, nor do automobile windscreens. Neither are ergonomically shaped, as are the fronts of trains.

And we were talking about flies, gentlemen, not wasps and bees, which are not at all like flies. Flies are small and fuzzy, not like bees, which are large and fuzzy, nor like wasps, which are evil.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Lambchop wrote:... nor like wasps, which are evil.
You should not disparage a creature with such a highly evolved waist.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Denny

Post by Denny »

Lambchop wrote:They do not count, nor do automobile windscreens. Neither are ergonomically shaped, as are the fronts of trains.
the face shield of a helmet is a smooth curved surface, what ya need to stop and scrape the bugs off of every so often

.....and how about them crickets in the San Joaquin valley, now thats slippery!
EricWingler

Post by EricWingler »

Denny wrote:
I'll second MS....
The flys aren't so bad....a bumble bee will leave a heck of a dent in your forehead at 100.
A June bug packs quite a wallop as well.
Eric Wingler
A Whistling Mathematician
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

EricWingler wrote:A June bug packs quite a wallop as well.
A friend's dad was playing golf with some buddies. He opened his mouth to laugh at a joke and a June bug flew down his throat. He swallowed it.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

jsluder wrote:A friend's dad was playing golf with some buddies. He opened his mouth to laugh at a joke and a June bug flew down his throat. He swallowed it.
How .... *shudder* ..... how did he know it was a Junebug? Did he check it.... you know..... later?
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

fearfaoin wrote:
jsluder wrote:A friend's dad was playing golf with some buddies. He opened his mouth to laugh at a joke and a June bug flew down his throat. He swallowed it.
How .... *shudder* ..... how did he know it was a Junebug? Did he check it.... you know..... later?
His golfing buddies saw it as it flew into his mouth. (There were June bugs flying all over the golf course that day.)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

"I don't know why she swallowed a fly. Perhaps she'll die."

When I was 6/7 years old I had a bee fly up my nose while I was riding my bike as fast as the wind. It bled like crazy. I zipped home and my mom had me blow my nose and there it was, a bee cadaver covered in my blood! Once the invader was removed the bleeding stopped quickly and I was off riding again. But I was watching for those bees, oh yes I was.
Mike
Denny

Post by Denny »

:lol: just takes once to change your live :lol:
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Innocent Bystander wrote:
Lambchop wrote:... nor like wasps, which are evil.
You should not disparage a creature with such a highly evolved waist.
I was going to agree with Lamby, but IB really does have a point....
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

jsluder wrote:
EricWingler wrote:A June bug packs quite a wallop as well.
A friend's dad was playing golf with some buddies. He opened his mouth to laugh at a joke and a June bug flew down his throat. He swallowed it.
EW EW EW EW!!!!!! That is just too gross for words!! Why on earth didn't he spit it out?? I'm not going to be able to get that mental image out of head for a very long time..... :boggle:

And I'll have you know, Slooderino, I don't particularly enjoy the picture you posted. It was nasty :P
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.