Wanted - Really Quiet Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TODDLEMM
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Wanted - Really Quiet Whistle

Post by TODDLEMM »

My wife complained tonight, amongst the din of music and buzzers and noise-makers, on New Years Eve (go figure), that my Burke DAN was too loud, and suggested that I stop playing my D major scale and arpeggio signature lick over and over and over again.

Personally, I think it is a sweet, quiet whistle, and I'm certain that I'm correct....however....

Is there an in-tune whistle out there that is truly quiet that can be played discreetly amongst non-whistlers, and (gasp) folks who don't appreciate whistling??? Thanks...whistle is not a valid ground for divorce in California...

Todd
Quit just before becoming the boss, or you will hate your job.
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Two come quickly to mind:

The new Every Whistle, from Carey, at Parks Whistles http://www.parkswhistles.com/ and the Alba Q-1 from Stacey, at Alba Whistles http://www.albawhistles.com/ .

The Every Whistle comes equipped with a mute ring that you can adjust to the required level of volume, from nicely loud to whisper soft, but as you mute the whistle, you will have to re-tune it if you are playing with others - easily done.

The Q-1 is just naturally quiet.
Last edited by anniemcu on Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Last weekend I tried a friend's very narrow bore tunable Mack Hoover brass D, which is about as quiet a whistle as I've ever played and still be barely audible in a small group. A tiny little voice, very sweet and easy-playing, taking almost no air. A completely charming instrument, and maybe what you're looking for.

Of course, for practice you can also quiet your Burke with a mute - a paper clip in the fipple window, or a bit of blue tack on the blade. Search the forum for "whistle mute" for other ideas.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

I agree with all of the above ... plus Mack can make almost any type whistle to be very quiet. His whitecap has tamed many an unruly beast. Another 2 whistles also come to mind -- Noah Herbison's Laughing Whistle, should you be lucky enough to find one or Chuck Tilbury's narrow bore brass that he recently had on tour. Both of these are sweet whistles & quiet.
TODDLEMM

Post by TODDLEMM »

Thanks, all....I'll start following your leads right away. I like loud...however....apparently, this is not universal....

Todd
Quit just before becoming the boss, or you will hate your job.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

You can play any whistle very quietly. Place it between your lips as usual, then move the open end of the whistle down a bit ONTO your lower lip. Your lip should seal the windway opening. Now just play. Air will rush OVER the windway, not through and create enough of a sound to be audible, but very quiet.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
rhulsey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rhulsey »

I'll agree with the Hoover. I have a little brass Hoover with a tiny, sweet voice that wouldn't bother a soul around you.

Reg
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Or play your current whistle with its own playing characteristics, and just mute it.

take a pinch of unchewed gum and ball it up, put it on the windway, and move it until you get the musical whisper you want.

Don't chew the rest of the gum or you'll salivate and not be able to play at all. :-P
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Deathtrap

Post by Deathtrap »

I noticed that there is a new tweaked whistle from bigwhistles . co.uk

the shush generation D.

but there is no info on who does the tweak etc as I also wanted to get more info on this one.

from the description and the whistle nickname, i believe its also pretty quiet...
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Deathtrap wrote:I noticed that there is a new tweaked whistle from bigwhistles . co.uk

the shush generation D.

but there is no info on who does the tweak etc as I also wanted to get more info on this one.

from the description and the whistle nickname, i believe its also pretty quiet...
There are several makers listed at big whistle.
http://www.bigwhistle.co.uk/maker.asp
riverman

Post by riverman »

I have a Hoover blacktop on a Gen Bb tube that has a sweet, pure sound and wouldn't wake a baby.
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
devondancer

Shush generation

Post by devondancer »

Deathtrap wrote:I noticed that there is a new tweaked whistle from bigwhistles . co.uk

the shush generation D.

I don't know who does the tweak but it is a very quiet whistle. I have one as I have a non-whistling husband, and it's the only one he doesn't complain about when I play in the evening. (He's still not in the same room, but can cope!) Hope that helps.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

A whistle in a lower key can be a lot less annoying to listeners and kinder to your own ears.

Many players, me included, wear earplugs when practising to prevent damage to hearing but it is easy to forget how loud they can sound to others.

My quietest practice whistles are Susato C with a ball of sticky putty on the ramp and a Gen Bb.
ketida

Post by ketida »

I just ordered an Every Whistle (my first WHOA of the New Year. That certainly didn't take long :lol: ).

I'm hoping it will make home recording with others less difficult. My Burke DBSBT just drowns out my partner's harp.

At least it will be a fun way to start the New Year, with a new whistle!
Every time I turn around, I wonder where I've been.
Time to stop turning round, I guess.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I got a Parks Whistles Every whistle (just intonation tuning) for Christmas which is adjustable in volume and tuning via his tone ring. It has been hard to put down, learning it's capabilities and limitations. It is rapidly becoming my favorite D whistle, at least here in the apartment. I haven't had it out in public yet, but I am sure it will adjust to whatever volume I would need.

Another quiet whistle maker is Mack Hoover, but I believe the Every whistle is quieter than any of the Whitecaps or Blacktops of his that I have.

Both of these are very nice quiet whistles.

My favorite Mack Hoover whistle is my Blacktop fipple on a Generation brass Bb tube. I lost my Blacktop fipple on a Generation brass C tube this last spring.
Last edited by fancypiper on Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.