Questions you thought were too stupid to ask

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Questions you thought were too stupid to ask

Post by Tyler »

I'll start:

Why do you folks on the other side of the pond use 'stone' to describe a measure of 14 lbs?
is it really easier to say something weighed 70 stone instead of 980lbs?
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
falkbeer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Questions you thought were too stupid to ask

Post by falkbeer »

Tyler wrote:I'll start:

Why do you folks on the other side of the pond use 'stone' to describe a measure of 14 lbs?
I suggest switching to the metric system all together!
The SI-system is superior in every aspect, and is used in most countries and in science.
The future is bright - let´s buy shades!
http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin/wh ... usclassics
Anstapa

Post by Anstapa »

This morning. Three of us librarians are sitting at the adult reference desk, it is 9:15 AM (we open at nine), this dude comes up and aks if the library is open....Yes it is we answered (we kind of look a round at each other...roll our eyes) ...unitl five this afternoon. Him "What time do you close?" Five! So the library is open all day today?" YES!

Anstapa
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Of course it is!

And if something is three feet long I don't say it's 36 inches (unless I'm taking personal measurements).

It's a lot easier to say someone is ten stone than say they are 140 pounds. It's very much easier to say someone is twelve stone than say they're one hundred AND sixty eight pounds.

And my Mother used to send me down the road to get half a stone of potatoes. Much easier than saying seven pounds.

Next you'll be telling us it's "more sensible" to write the date with the month first, then the day of the month and then the year. Get a grip! :twisted:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

falkbeer wrote:

The SI-system is superior in every aspect, and is used in most countries and in science.
Y'know, I learned and used the metric system while l lived in Canada, and never really gave it up except for those neccesary things that are still standard in the us (mph, etc). Whenever i construct anything out of wood, i always measure in metric units. It just comes easier.

edited to fix sumfink.... :oops: :P :lol:
Last edited by Tyler on Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Denny

Post by Denny »

it's good to be easy, innit! :D
emmline

Post by emmline »

Innocent Bystander wrote:

It's a lot easier to say someone is ten stone than say they are 140 pounds. It's very much easier to say someone is twelve stone than say they're one hundred AND sixty eight pounds.
Right. Perfectly understandable. It is only NOT easier for us yanks who don't really have a feel for what a stone is.
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

Denny wrote:it's good to be easy, innit! :D
Hell yeah! An I'm cheap too; just buy a few beers an' I'm all set!!
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Who was the first president of America?

RORY
Jack

Post by Jack »

falkbeer wrote:

But the United States' system is used by the most socio-economically powerful country the world has ever seen, so that's why it's still in use despite the metric system being more efficient and used over a wider geographical area. In exporting American culture, this one aspect is just a tiny bit that, for whatever reason(s), seems not to have taken hold (Myanmar and Liberia apparently don't use the metric system, either, for what it's worth).

My question:
Denny

Post by Denny »

:o :-?
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Cranberry wrote: My question:
Eh?

Speak up! :P

Ah, wait! "The really stupid question is the one that didn't get asked."

8)
Last edited by Innocent Bystander on Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Tyler wrote:Whenever i construct anything out of wood, i always measure in metric units.
That's interesting. I'm a native born canadian, the generation that started getting preperatory metric indictrination starting in about grade three prior to the switchover. And whenever *I* construct something out of wood or paper, I use inches.

I can eyeball six & a half inches, or 7/8ths of an inch in a way that I never could in metric.

Weather temperatures is even more mixed up: I understand celsuis for winter temps ("three degrees below zero" tells you info that "27 degrees F" doesn't), but summer temps and inviting household and pool temperatures are all fahrenheit.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
jlunt

Post by jlunt »

falkbeer wrote:I suggest switching to the metric system all together!
Of course, the U.S. also chose VHS over Beta. So we don't always make the smart choice.
Merry Blacksmith on a Feadog.
Absent-Minded Woman.
Yes... I am a beginner.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

rorybbellows wrote:Who was the first president of America?
http://www.marshallhall.org/hanson.html
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.