Medical Myths

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Or does Rory have hairy palms? :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

djm wrote:Or does Rory have hairy palms? :wink:

djm
I dont know ,my eyesight is very bad .

RORY
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

rorybbellows wrote:So can I still catch an STD off a toilet seat
RORY
Dunno, but i caught a dose of the wee crawly lads once from a dirty mattress in a hostel in prague once!
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I personally believe it is a myth that high cholesterol causes health problems. It may be a statistical correlation, but it is not a cause. My grandmother died at the ripe old age 83 and her cholesterol was in the 700s.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

sbfluter wrote:I personally believe it is a myth that high cholesterol causes health problems. It may be a statistical correlation, but it is not a cause. My grandmother died at the ripe old age 83 and her cholesterol was in the 700s.
This is something I have also wondered about.

One thing that is very true is that it is usually not that hard to upset nature's balance--but it's generally harder than hell (if possible at all) to restore that balance.

What is known is that there is a relationship between high cholesterol and high lipids in general and with cardiovascular diseases of the heart and circulatory system.

However, there is also a relationship between lying down and dying; however, the act of reclining does not cause death. Just because there is a relationship doesn't mean there is a causitive relationship.

--James
Last edited by peeplj on Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
talasiga

Re: Medical Myths

Post by talasiga »

djm wrote:.....The nearest recommendation that could be found is that you should get the equivalent of six glasses of "fluids" per day, including coffee, tea, juices, ...........
Sorry mate. Its not that simple.
The fluid balance EFFECT of 6 glasses of water or 6 glasses of fresh vegetable juice (unsalted) is not the same as 6 glasses of tea or coffee.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Dale
The Landlord

Re: More myths

Post by Dale »

fyffer wrote:
pastorkeith wrote:ALL FALSE According to WEBMD and University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
(4) Feeding a child a lot of candy or food with a lot of sugar in it will make them hyperactive (Not that it is good for you for other reasons!)
I don't care what any study, doctor or pastor (sorry) says, but for some children (I have one of them), consuming "food" items containing too much processed sugars definitely makes children hyper. No one will convince me otherwise. They obviously haven't studied my son.
For many years, I treated loads of kids with ADHD. I certainly believe the studies that have repeatedly shown that diet, including refined sugar, have no effect on ADHD symptoms. But, like most such studies, they're based on comparing experimental group averages to control group averages, washing out individual differences. It's possible, of course, that individual children respond to dietary triggers. I've seen a handful of fairly convincing cases. But, what would be interesting is to do a double blind study with some individual kids to see if expectations (of both the patient and the parents) are what's happening.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

djm wrote:Or does Rory have hairy palms? :wink:

djm
Probably serious blisters.
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Sugar doesn't ever seem to show up as a measurable trigger.

However, there's growing published evidence that some (not all) food additives can trigger ADD type symptoms. A recent study in England got a lot of press for showing such a correlation. In that study, the children studied were similar to a broad cross section, and not selected for having had a history of ADD symptoms. In that group, very possibly, the majority of subjects would not have been sensitive at all, so the fact that the few who were sensitive changed the amount of observed ADD symptoms enough to show a statistically significant effect is rather striking, in my opinion. I believe I read that the researchers commented there were specific children in the study whose reactions to the food additives were not subtle at all, while most of the children were not noticeably affected. If a similar study were done with all children who had a history of ADD, I suspect the correlation might be quite a bit stronger.

Best wishes,
Jerry
PallasAthena

Post by PallasAthena »

I think the sugar=hyperness thing might be an example of the placebo effect. We expect that when a lot of sugar is consumed that we get hyper, so we do. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if eating a lot of sugar gave someone more engergy (for a short time) than if they had eaten nothing, but that doesn't necessarily equate to hyperness.

Now, I really wish the assumption that consuming caffine quickly wakes one up were universally true...
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Now, I really wish the assumption that consuming caffine quickly wakes one up were universally true...
Normally, if I am just a bit tired or bleary, hot coffee will start to perk me up.

(I have a grinder and a French press and have learned to make a pretty decent brew. It's amazing how much better coffee can taste than what you get from a drip maker.)

However, if I am really tired, for instance if I've been awake for a whole day and night, then the heat from the hot coffee just seems to relax me and make me sleepier.

So it works a little, sometimes, but I really wouldn't recommend depending on it.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
missy

Post by missy »

is it true that being born will eventually cause you to die????
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

missy wrote:is it true that being born will eventually cause you to die????
There is a high correlation between the two but no cause and effect relationship has ever been demonstrated.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Re: More myths

Post by Flyingcursor »

Dale wrote:
fyffer wrote:
pastorkeith wrote:ALL FALSE According to WEBMD and University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
(4) Feeding a child a lot of candy or food with a lot of sugar in it will make them hyperactive (Not that it is good for you for other reasons!)
I don't care what any study, doctor or pastor (sorry) says, but for some children (I have one of them), consuming "food" items containing too much processed sugars definitely makes children hyper. No one will convince me otherwise. They obviously haven't studied my son.
For many years, I treated loads of kids with ADHD. I certainly believe the studies that have repeatedly shown that diet, including refined sugar, have no effect on ADHD symptoms. But, like most such studies, they're based on comparing experimental group averages to control group averages, washing out individual differences. It's possible, of course, that individual children respond to dietary triggers. I've seen a handful of fairly convincing cases. But, what would be interesting is to do a double blind study with some individual kids to see if expectations (of both the patient and the parents) are what's happening.
You guys are talking about two separate things. There's a big difference between a kid being all sugared up and bouncing off the walls and a kid with a true case of ADHD. The problem is in the diagnostic process that decided, especially in the '90s, that any kid who didn't pay attention in school or didn't go to bed on time must be ADHD. You are both right.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
djm

Post by djm »

FlyingC wrote:There's a big difference between a kid being all sugared up and bouncing off the walls and a kid with a true case of ADHD.
As long as they both get beaten appropriately, what's the difference?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.