whistles in movies

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tommy
antispam: No

whistles in movies

Post by Tommy »

I saw the tail end of a black and white movie the other night with Humphrey Bogart. The closing scene was in a night club with a jazz band playing. There was a piano and a whistle player. Anyone know the name of the movie, or better still. How many movies can you name with a visual of a whistle being played?
gregdidge

Post by gregdidge »

Waking Ned Devine (Thats almost too easy!)
It is important not to mistake the edge of a rut for the horizon!

Greg
gregdidge

Post by gregdidge »

Waking Ned Devine for a movie with whistle playing not for the name of the movie that you saw :oops:
It is important not to mistake the edge of a rut for the horizon!

Greg
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

The Road to Perdition.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

"to Have and Have Not" alluded to in a recent post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6-QJJ0V ... re=related
pennywhistle
Hong Kong Blues
(Hoagy Charmichael)
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

My fave is "A day at the Races" where Harpo plays a whistle in "who dat man/all dem chillun got rhythm"

classic
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Or me in Patriot Games :wink:
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

pancelticpiper wrote:Or me in Patriot Games :wink:
Wow! A celebrity here on C&F. I saw that a few months ago several times on one of those channels that repeats movies. So what is the name of the tune you play, and where was the scene taken.
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

I just watched "To Have and Have Not" the other day and was excited that there was a whistle player. :)

Harpo plays whistle in a couple other Marx Brothers movies as well.

~Tiff
~Tiff
Whistling Archer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistling Archer »

Mack.Hoover wrote:"to Have and Have Not" alluded to in a recent post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6-QJJ0V ... re=related
pennywhistle
Hong Kong Blues
(Hoagy Charmichael)
We love that movie at my house , and all the Bogey movies. He was a interesting fellow. He was born fairly well to do. And all the tics that gave him his style were his way of covering up a problem,,, i.e. that little smile /grimace was to tighten his dentures. The way he held his cig ,was to hide that ,,,he "wet lipped it" wont use the old term

Lewis and Clark soundtrack is great ,,, lots of beautiful whistle
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

That was filmed at Molly Mallone's in LA on a freezing cold January morning. The makeup woman kept spritzing our faces with cold water to make it look like we were sweating.
The song was from some semi-pop Irish band- I can't remember who. I was playing my trusty old tweaked Generation C which I still play.
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

Thought maybe we are lucky on here. Anyone who has a copy of the movie Black Jack by Ken Loach? Have been looking for it for a few years now but no success :sniffle:

Wishing you all a nice evening!!!
Brigitte
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
PallasAthena

Post by PallasAthena »

There's a scene with a whistle in a movie/tv show/something on a screen set during the Napoleonic wars. Sorry I can't be more specific; I've seen a few films set during this time (The Duelists, that TV miniseries with Sean Bean, etc) and I can't remember which it is from. :-?
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

A bit off track as usual:
My daughter is 19 and moved to New York City last Sept. She tells me on the phone the other day that some friends of her roommate came by and this guy started in about tin whistles. He was laughing and saying how ludicrous they are. Equated them with leprecauns and such. So, my daughter says, "I can play the tin whistle." He laughs and says, Why?" She says, "I don't know. I guess because my dad taught me when I was 7 and I didn't know any better." That's loyalty (and gratitude) for you.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

It Must Be a Seasonal Thing.....

Post by Tom Dowling »

I recall posting about the final scene in this fine film (To Have and To Have Not) a couple of years ago, right around this time of year. They must haul this classic out around holiday time. In addition to the musical number that Mack was kind enough to provide a link for, the upbeat final number really shows the instrument more clearly. It looks to be silver or silver plated, not unlike my fine Tully!! (Eric, were you making whistles back then?)

That thread, which started as a whistle-related trivia question (Which Bogart Movie features a tinwhistle, etc.?) led to some other interesting side-tracks, including information about the US Army Jazz Band landing in Paris after that city was liberated in WW II. (One of their first questions was "Where can we find Django Reinhardt?") Les Lieber, a sax player who is, I believe, still active in the New York music scene, was a member of that band and played what many believe to be a pennywhistle on some of the recordings the band made with Django. The discography for one or more cuts lists "Flute?" If you go to the link posted below, you will be able to listen to one such cut.

http://www.wellsleyarts.com/jazz/index.html

I have been 'off the board' for some time as a result of some travel and a recent surgery on my Left Achilles tendon. So, I would like to extend season's greetings here to all my friends on C & F with whom I have not been in contact for a while. Also, season's greetings to the many fine whistle makers out there, without whom us old duffers (and some young ones too, I guess) would not have the instruments we need to keep at it. I will refrain from enumerating the makers because I inevitably leave someone out. You know who you are.

BOGART-RELATED TRIVIA QUESTION: How many WW II-related movies was Bogey in that had him at loggerheads with and thwarting either the Axis powers or their collaborators and surrogates? (CLUE: Casablanca is not the only one that took place in Northern Africa!)

BE WELL!!

Tom Dowling