Kentucky Fried Chicken & the Souls of the Faithful Depar

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Kentucky Fried Chicken & the Souls of the Faithful Depar

Post by Dale »

My story by this title appears in the current edition of Susurrus.

Enjoy:

http://susurrusmagazine.com/
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

I did :D

Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Yeah that was pretty cool.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
carrie

Post by carrie »

Your stuff always makes me cry. That was terrific.
/cf
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Nice work, Dale. If we have any imagination at all, we must have similiar thoughts about the spirits that haunt houses, business buildings, and places in the natural world. When I was a child, I was allowed to explore the woods along White River near my home. As I did so, I sometimes got into a quiet mental space where I would conjure up thoughts of Native Americans that walked those same banks before me. Occasionally, I would find a remnant of their presence, such as an arrow head that had been resurrected by the farmer's plow.

Dale, your piece reminds me of a song that I listened to today. Another thread on this page mentions the new CD, "Cross the Water", by Cindy Kallet and Grey Larsen. Track 7 on the CD, "Lull Myself Asleep", was written by Dillon Bustin using the words from Henry David Thoreau's classic, "Walden". The song is about Thoreau's remembering the inhabitants that used to inhabit the woods around Walden pond. It is a beautiful tribute to a person whose writing had a major influence on how I went about living my life.
emmline

Post by emmline »

I did not know what susurrus meant. Clearly, neither does my MacBook as it is now underlined in red. I looked it up. The MacBook did not.
djm

Post by djm »

That's one of the words I came across when investigating onomatopoeia (yes, I'm a rug wetter).

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

emmline wrote:I did not know what susurrus meant. Clearly, neither does my MacBook as it is now underlined in red. I looked it up. The MacBook did not.
I didn't know what the word meant either, however, I will share the definition that my old dictionary gives. "Susurus" is a noun that means a whispering or rustling sound, hence the reference to onomatopoeia in djm's post. Susurus, however, is not a good scrabble word, having to use three "s" and three 'u" tiles for a small point total.

Dale, it seems to me that your story falls very nicely in place in a literary journal entitled "Susurus". Please share more of your work with us.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Doug_Tipple wrote:Susurus, however, is not a good scrabble word, having to use three "s" and three 'u" tiles for a small point total.
And please note Doug--in case you find yourself in the remarkable position of being able to play the word in Scrabble--that you'd need 2 "r"s. susurrus.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Why do I keep hearing Phil Collins' voice in my head when I think of the word "susurrus"?
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

emmline wrote:
Doug_Tipple wrote:Susurus, however, is not a good scrabble word, having to use three "s" and three 'u" tiles for a small point total.
And please note Doug--in case you find yourself in the remarkable position of being able to play the word in Scrabble--that you'd need 2 "r"s. susurrus.
Spelling was never my strong suit. Thanks for the correction. I see that I would have to use another vowel if I wanted to use the word as an adjective. The susurrous cacophony disturbed the evening quiet.
"Out of my poetry class," my teacher yelled, as she pointed to the door.
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Dale wrote:Why do I keep hearing Phil Collins' voice in my head when I think of the word "susurrus"?
I just say the word.
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.