Opinions wanted on Low D Keyed Susato

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Moonlight
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Opinions wanted on Low D Keyed Susato

Post by Moonlight »

I am considering a low D whistle but need something with the least reach for my small hands and prefer a moderate breath requirement. I have been looking at the susato with keys as a possibile solution and wondered if anyone has one and what their comments are. Or is there a low whistle out there that someone could recommend for me?
wvwhistler

Post by wvwhistler »

I have a two key model and enjoy it very much. The reach is easy and the tone wonderful. Mine has a breathy sound that is more noticable if I am trying to play quietly. The only drawback to having the keys is that it doesn't allow you to do some ornamentation utilizing the holes with the keys. Other than this I don't regret the purchase of this low D.
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
"All the world's a stage, and most of us are desperately unrehearsed." - Sean O'Casey
plunk111
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I used to have a low-D Susato with one key and liked it - I replaced it with a Burke Viper, which went (on C&F) to pay for my Copley flute. Ah well... The only thing I didn't like about the Susato was the noise the low key makes. I found the "clicking" to be a little distracting to me. It DID, however, make the low end easy to finger and the sound was nice. I don't think you'll go wrong with it...

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Toomanypets

Post by Toomanypets »

I'm the guy who bought Pat's low D. On a trip to TN I took a detour to the Kelischek Workshop in Brasstown, NC, and George K. added a key to the third hole from the top. (Is that hole the G or the A? I can never remember the proper convention.) That was quite a visit, and I got to follow him around the shop while he drilled and added the components for the key. He's quite interesting, and I enjoyed the experience immensely. I recommend a trip to anyone going through the area.

Anyway, I now have several Susatos (and a Burke high D) but the low D is one of the whistles I regularly play. I like the keys, and adding the second key made the reach easier for me, and the whistle more enjoyable to play. The tone of the whistle is very pleasant. The keys do click a bit, but they're cushioned, so I don't find it as distracting as Pat. I don't try any fancy ornamentation, and at first it felt different to use the key rather than a finger, but it's well worth it in my opinion to avoid using the piper's grip!

Bottom line: I recommend it, and you may want to consider two keys.

Joe
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

Toomanypets wrote:I'm the guy who bought Pat's low D. On a trip to TN I took a detour to the Kelischek Workshop in Brasstown, NC, and George K. added a key to the third hole from the top. (Is that hole the G or the A?
From the bottom to the top (on a D whistle): D, E, F#, G, A, B
So, that 3rd hole counting from the top is the G.

I'm thinking in a Susato Low D as well, I've heard many recordings and it seems that it's worth for the price that it costs.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Thank you all for the comments..it certainly helps in the decision making process!
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Bothrops wrote:
Toomanypets wrote:I'm the guy who bought Pat's low D. On a trip to TN I took a detour to the Kelischek Workshop in Brasstown, NC, and George K. added a key to the third hole from the top. (Is that hole the G or the A? I can never remember the proper convention.)
From the bottom to the top (on a D whistle): D, E, F#, G, A, B
So, that 3rd hole counting from the top is the G.
Actually, Toomanypets is right. There are 2 different conventions for talking about this.

Whistlers tend to refer to the 3rd hole as the "G hole". Because that's the hole you cover in order to play a G. But many pipers would refer to the 3rd hole as the "A hole". Because that's the hole you uncover to play an A. Both ideas are equally logical. And the second way makes sense with closed fingering.

Based on a suggestion from StevieJ, I now use the personal terminology "G hole" = "A vent". This keeps the two different conventions separate and clear. Hole = cover it for the note, Vent = uncover it for the note.

Even easier, you can call the Top 3 holes T1 T2 T2, and the Bottom 3 holes B1 B2 B3. The numbers are unambiguous, from fipple to bell. And the "T" and "B" allow both right-handed and left-handed players to use the same terminology.

I guess you could also number the holes 1 through 6, but that seems less intuitive to me than thinking about each hand separately.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

MTGuru wrote: Actually, Toomanypets is right. There are 2 different conventions for talking about this.

Whistlers tend to refer to the 3rd hole as the "G hole". Because that's the hole you cover in order to play a G. But many pipers would refer to the 3rd hole as the "A hole". Because that's the hole you uncover to play an A. Both ideas are equally logical. And the second way makes sense with closed fingering.

Based on a suggestion from StevieJ, I now use the personal terminology "G hole" = "A vent". This keeps the two different conventions separate and clear. Hole = cover it for the note, Vent = uncover it for the note.
Oh, thanks! I didn't know of that, but it makes sense!
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

A very thin piece of adhesive backed foam where the key clicks back on can reduce the click noise.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
JonasOrlas

Post by JonasOrlas »

I actually acquired a low d earlier this fall, and was in the same predicament as you are. Between the cheap-end low d's, I eventually went with a Howard - and am incredibly happy with it. The finger spacing was a stretch, but I have small fingers, and I am able to play it comfortably now. It took maybe a month or two to get used to it ? Haven't been keeping count (mostly been playing it in between classes).

I've also been learning flute, and between the two I find the low d easier - such that I think of my low d as being an easy instrument I like to play when I'm comfortable. :) So I wouldn't be put off by the finger spacing because you'll definitely get used to it (trust me, I have small, tiny hands my friends make fun of and I can play it comfortably). The piper's grip is fun in it's own way anyway.

The only downside to the Howard (which might only be applicable to mine, I think I somehow managed to get an older mouthpiece) is that it clogs rather quickly. But the sound, wow. I'm in love. :D

edit: added a few things I forgot to mention
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

I had a number of people tell me that the A hole is actually above the windway.

At least that was the direction they were pointing as I played.

I'm confused.

:-?
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Aanvil wrote:I had a number of people tell me that the A hole is actually above the windway.

At least that was the direction they were pointing as I played.
Obviously, it must be that you're playing your whistle upside-down. Or standing on your head. We won't even consider the other explanation.

:wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Now I get it!

:)
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Now I get it!