Help for Haiti Babies.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

Payday is Monday and a check will be in the mail to you, Doc. It's so great to be able to give to a cause and actually trust it--rather than hoping that at least something of my donation will go to something other than administrative costs!

Susan
Steamwalker
antispam: No

Post by Steamwalker »

djm wrote:Keep it to yourself, thx. I will choose my own.

djm
Not sure why someone would post to a thread about a charity to say that they don't support the charity. Keep it to yourself, bub.

Also, just out of curiousity, how would value be determined for tax-refundable purposes if someone would to donate an item (not just as it applies to whistles but any item in general)?
carrie

Post by carrie »

My holidays are already brighter. Thanks for the opportunity to share, Doc, and for all you do on behalf of these kids.
/cf
oregonden

Post by oregonden »

Yeah, Doc. Thank you for posting and sharing this thread of information. Some of us may be new to the C&F forum but, old as dirt in caring for children and their future. We'll look for your list and give what we can. You bet :) .

Dennis
Make It Fun!
Dunphys Hornpipe
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

Steamwalker wrote:
Also, just out of curiousity, how would value be determined for tax-refundable purposes if someone would to donate an item (not just as it applies to whistles but any item in general)?
When someone sends me a flute (or whatever) I sell it and then send them a receipt for the value for the item. Actually, the treasurer will send the receipt but you get the idea. :)

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

susnfx wrote:Payday is Monday and a check will be in the mail to you, Doc. It's so great to be able to give to a cause and actually trust it--rather than hoping that at least something of my donation will go to something other than administrative costs!

Susan
Thanks Susan.

Yup, we have no administrative costs to speak of and what few costs we do have are paid from the adoption fees so 100% of all donation monies go to the kids. :)

Doc

Doc's Website

djm

Post by djm »

Steamwalker wrote:

djm
Not sure why someone would post to a thread about a charity to say that they don't support the charity. Keep it to yourself, bub.
It's easy to quote a statement and take it out of context. The gutter press does it all the time.

I have no objection to anyone bringing up their pet charities here at C&F. A thread dedicated to that charity is a fine idea, as far as I'm concerned. I simply object to others telling me what charities I am to give to, as was suggested above, i.e. that everyone on C&F should make Doc Jones' personal choice of charity our own. Note that Doc Jones did not, himself, make this suggestion.

I may or may not choose to give to Doc Jones' personal choice for a charity. That is my business and my concern, and not something to be preached at me or at anyone else. That is what I object to.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

djm wrote:I may or may not choose to give to Doc Jones' personal choice for a charity. That is my business and my concern, and not something to be preached at me or at anyone else. That is what I object to.

djm
Easy, man! There was no preaching or coercion, just a thoughtful suggestion from Jim, which we can all take or leave, at our discretion.

Doc's group efficiently produced a receipt for an instrument contribution I made in 2007, which will suffice for IRS needs. Doc, I salute you, and will be contributing again via PayPal.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Bothrops wrote:I just wanted to congratulate you, Doc Jones, for your big heart. I don't know you, but what I have read about you is enough to know that if all the people were like you, the world it would be much better.

My congratulates to you!
Regards,
Martin
Thanks for the kind words Martin but I must confess to having a normal sized heart as well. :)

The wonderful thing about being human is that each of us can choose to lend a hand when we see an opportunity. Our choices at such occasions define us. And choices there certainly are...in abundance.

The world is full of folks and causes that could use the support of good people. Making a contribution to the kids at Foyer de Sion (or any other needy child) won't make much of a difference in the world at large, but it makes a tremendous difference to each child helped and, I believe, that repeatedly giving the needs of others a high priority in our lives can make a difference for each of us personally as well.

My association with these wonderful little kids has been one of the great blessings of my life. :)

Doc

Doc's Website

cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Making a contribution to the kids at Foyer de Sion (or any other needy child) won't make much of a difference in the world at large,
Or perhaps it might....we never know..... who's to say what these children might accomplish if given half a chance?
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

cowtime wrote:
Making a contribution to the kids at Foyer de Sion (or any other needy child) won't make much of a difference in the world at large,
Or perhaps it might....we never know..... who's to say what these children might accomplish if given half a chance?
Too true.

Doc's Website

WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Hello, Doc.

Thanks for the picture--made my morning. :)

Cowtime's comment reminds me of the one about the guy walking down the beach after an unusually high tide, throwing stranded starfish into the ocean. An onlooker ridiculed him, saying "There are so many, you can't possibly make any difference." At this, the man picked up another, threw it in, and said, "I just made a difference to that one."

We can't really change places like Haiti from the outside, but if we give love, care, and hope to individual kids, they can change Haiti from the inside. That is a realistic hope. And even if they do not, well, you still made a difference to that one.

Doc, do you ever get up to Cap? If you do I know a couple people who would love to meet you. :D

God bless your work and these kids.

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

There are kids within five miles of my home who don't have enough food, clothes nor security. I'll start my charity with them.

What's going on in your neighborhood Doc?

This belongs in Rubber-room.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
emmline

Post by emmline »

Flyingcursor wrote:There are kids within five miles of my home who don't have enough food, clothes nor security. I'll start my charity with them.

What's going on in your neighborhood Doc?

This belongs in Rubber-room.
There are many, many tremendously worthy causes in the world, and to contribute to the world's betterment in any capacity is a wonderful thing.
Some people choose on the basis of geography. Some choose on the basis of others things, meaningful to them. To help in any way is the thing.

We, as a board, have given bytes to other worthy causes over the years--The Porcupine Clinic being one, help to beloved board members has also occurred here.

I think I can speak for many when I say that it's delightful to know that people like Doc are doing this kind of stuff. Those of us who are moved to help...let's help.
Those who are comfortable sticking with their existing charities of choice...I don't think anyone has any quarrel with that.

(But that could be an interesting Rubber room topic Fly, if you want to start a thread--something like how do you choose what to support in a world with so many needs? No, not that. Wouldn't fit in the subject line. :) )
Last edited by emmline on Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

djm wrote:
Steamwalker wrote:

djm
It's easy to quote a statement and take it out of context. The gutter press does it all the time.

I have no objection to anyone bringing up their pet charities here at C&F. A thread dedicated to that charity is a fine idea, as far as I'm concerned. I simply object to others telling me what charities I am to give to, as was suggested above, i.e. that everyone on C&F should make Doc Jones' personal choice of charity our own. Note that Doc Jones did not, himself, make this suggestion.

I may or may not choose to give to Doc Jones' personal choice for a charity. That is my business and my concern, and not something to be preached at me or at anyone else. That is what I object to.

djm
What's meant by a "board cause"? If all that means is a link on the front page, that seems fine. But if having a "board cause" will result in any kinda marginalization of or bad feelings towards someone who doens't support it, then that's wrong. I agree with djm that each person should give to what they like, so if having a "board cause" would hamper that freedom, or create an atmosphere where it wants to be hampered, that's wrong.