How much should I bid for a Cook Low D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tucson Whistler
antispam: No

How much should I bid for a Cook Low D

Post by Tucson Whistler »

I found a Cook low D on eBay and I was wondering how much I should bid. I did a thread search and found one that sold for $50, but that was over a year ago. Is that still about what they go for?
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

I'm certainly not privy to the existence of every maker or make of whistle in the world. That said, I'm a pretty privy guy when it comes to tooters.

I've not ever heard of a Cook. If it were me, I'd sure want to hear from someone that had played one before shelling out any dough.

Call me a cynic, but a $50 low-D raises some flags for me based on my experience.

Hopefully they're wonderful, but I'd counsel caution 'til you have some solid information. :)

You might look for a pre-owned Dixon. That's an inexpensive low-D with a solid reputation. Or you might look for a Susato...again, a solid company with a predictable product.

Doc
Last edited by Doc Jones on Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Here's some info, which was linked in the ebay listing.
Looks like they haven't been made since at least 1998.

http://www.chiffandfipple.com/cooklow.html
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

fearfaoin wrote:Here's some info, which was linked in the ebay listing.
Looks like they haven't been made since at least 1998.

http://www.chiffandfipple.com/cooklow.html
Good enough for me. See, I told you guys I didn't know everything! :lol:

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
sbruyette
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by sbruyette »

Ralph Cook made great low whistles. You can read about them on C&F Maian website http://www.chiffandfipple.com/low.html. I am sure some of the people who have been around for a long time remember these. I don't believe they come up for sale often at all. I believe owners tend to hold on to them.
Susan
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I remember Cooks being spoken of highly. I've never seen or played one, though.
/Bloomfield
Tucson Whistler

Yeah, I saw the reviews and the other information, and I thought it sounded good. I've decided I want this, and I know that in the end it's up to me how much to spend. I guess I just wanted to know about how much they go for.

If this belongs to anyone on the board, please let me know if you'll do a Buy It Now.
~Oscar Wilde
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I thought highly of the Cook when I received one from Ralph. It was numbered #3 and I still have it. Tonight, I'll spend a little time playing it. I'm only reluctant to speak highly of it again now because, while it was innovative and belonged to a very small number of options in 1998, it may not be as attractive option in 2007 as it was in 1998.

My recollection is that it's pretty quiet. But, I'll haul it out tonight, run the spiders out of it, and let you know.

Dale
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Tucson Whistler wrote:Yeah, I saw the reviews and the other information, and I thought it sounded good. I've decided I want this, and I know that in the end it's up to me how much to spend. I guess I just wanted to know about how much they go for.

If this belongs to anyone on the board, please let me know if you'll do a Buy It Now.
They're just not on the market enough to really know.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I remember the Ralph Cook whistles, but I was a bit of a noob at the time, so didn't really pay much attention to them.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Tucson Whistler

Dale wrote:My recollection is that it's pretty quiet. But, I'll haul it out tonight, run the spiders out of it, and let you know.

Dale
Thanks Dale, I'd really appreciate that. I'm not expecting the perfect wislte or to be blown away by it. I'm hoping for a good beginner whistle that doesn't cost too much. It doesn't need to be loud, since I'll only be playing for myself. From what I could tell, I like the look of it and the sound sample sounded pretty good, too.
~Oscar Wilde
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Tucson Whistler wrote:Yeah, I saw the reviews and the other information, and I thought it sounded good. I've decided I want this, and I know that in the end it's up to me how much to spend. I guess I just wanted to know about how much they go for.
Given that these retailed for $75 ten years ago, and inflationary tendencies,
if you can get it for $50 (like the earlier sale you found) you're probably doing
pretty well.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

I have owned two Cook low D whistles - one a gift, the other purchased used. Both were made of PVC and were painted black. The black paint came off easily, which necessitated careful handling. Dale is correct in remembering that they are a soft-sounding whistle. If I remember correctly, a three-sided wind buffer was built up around the wind window, ala Copeland.

I remember the instruments to be responsive, and innovative for their time. One of mine was significantly sharp throughout its entire range, making group playing impossible.

I feel that if the instrument in question is in tune with itself, and if it has not been cosmetically trashed, the $50 is a fair price. It is a bit of a collector's item, for those who care about such things...

Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Sorry...double post. I was being impatient, in that the submit button had no effect for 30 seconds...
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Tucson Whistler

Thanks for the info Byll. I am hoping to get it for around that. Someone else has bid, so I hope they don't go too much. Though there will probably be other bidders along the way. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
~Oscar Wilde