Whistle for a newb

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
cybertek1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistle for a newb

Post by cybertek1 »

So here it is, Ive been researching tinwhistles for awhile now and I am at a loss for which one I should buy... I have recently been looking at the clarke tinwhistle, because I heard a comparitive clip to some other tinwhistles and I particularly liked the sound of it. Why do I like the sound of the clarke original? I like a deep rich mellow sound. I have also heard that clarke originals are unreliable and difficult to play because of the large amounts of air required to play it. So I am baisically back where I started. The choices are infinate! :boggle: So I would Like som help figuring out what whistle to get that has a low mellow sound and costs under $25
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

I'm a newbie too, but I have played and heard some cheapies and I can recommend you to start with a Feadóg a Clark Sweetone or a Walton's. All 3 are very cheap (under u$s 10 each one).

Cheers,
Bothrops
Franz

Post by Franz »

For the price you are talking about, I would recommend the Dixon Trad. I have about every "cheapie" out there and IMHO it is the best value.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I would recommend cutting some costs somewhere else (a few mac & cheese dinners wouldn't kill anybody) and then buying 3 or more cheapies so you can really compare.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

I agree that Dixon Trad is probably the best choice. And Clarke Sweetone is very fine too.

Clarke Original takes very much air, plus it´s got weird sound in higher notes from second octave.
cybertek1

Post by cybertek1 »

Ill look into the dixon trad
nikiarrowsmith

Post by nikiarrowsmith »

Walton's run sharp, do not get one! You'll get frustrated especially if you have a good musical ear for pitch and if you try and play with recordings for practice. I love my feadog. Get a feadog. I've never tried a clarke but that would be a good choice too, from what others say.
May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
cybertek1

Post by cybertek1 »

Where am I to purchase a dixon trad? I would like a reputable dealership thats cheap. (I'm cheap) :P
cybertek1

Post by cybertek1 »

Where am I to purchase a dixon trad? I would like a reputable dealership thats cheap. (I'm cheap) :P
rance

Post by rance »

You can purchase a Dixon Trad from Harp and Dragon for $23.00 plus $5.00 S&H. At least that was the price the last time I checked. (www.harpanddragon.com)
arnie
antispam: No

Post by arnie »

rance wrote:You can purchase a Dixon Trad from Harp and Dragon for $23.00 plus $5.00 S&H. At least that was the price the last time I checked. (www.harpanddragon.com)
or directly at Tony Dixon's website: http://www.tonydixonmusic.co.uk/
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Well the Dixon Trad is a really nice little whistle. Its the one I currently use as my regular whistle. Its not the one I would prefer as my regular but I'm focusing on flute and that is where my big money goes right now.

That being said... I do play whistle a lot.

Its not a bad choice but I feel it will be a little hard to control for an absolute beginner. Its not that loud so that might be a plus for someone just starting out... however...

Its VERY easy to overblow and may make the learning curve a little steeper than you might want at the very start.

So many things to learn right off the bat.

Don't make it harder than it need be.

You'd do just fine with a Feadóg.

Over the other low cost whistles you might have least trouble with it with a small room to grow. The Clarke Sweetone does indeed have a "sweet tone" and is a really easy whistle to play though you'll outgrow it rather quickly... most likely.

Feadógs are one third the cost of a Dixon... and you can have it from just about anywhere.

I think I found one at a Barnes & Noble book store with a booklet.

This my raise some ire around here but don't bother with a Clarke original.

Its breath requirements are too high for a beginer.. IMHO.

Hope that helps some.

Have fun!
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Tucson Whistler

Post by Tucson Whistler »

I agree with aanvil, but I say Walton instead of Feadóg. I like Waltons sound better (but that just an opinion). I also liked the Clarke as a beginner, but I also came from a clarinet, so the air requirement wasn't a problem. But that aside, I agree that just a old traditional whistle is the way to start. As you play longer you will find the sound you like and go for that. It might not even be the Dixon Trad, so why spend extra at this point? I also agree with the thing about Sweetones. They sound nice, but use so little air that you'll probably out grow it really quick.
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Well my choice isn't actually that subjective.

He probably won't notice the difference but you might that Walton's have tuning issues. The two I have, tuned to G at 440, will be out sharp on the bell note by at least 20c and flat on the A over 20c.

Its enough to irritate the hell out of me. :D

My Feadóg tuned to A at 440 is fairly spot on.

The tone they produce are are similar enough... Feadóg seem to be a tad louder and brighter than the Walton's.

YMMV of course.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
CranberryDog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CranberryDog »

Aanvil wrote:Well my choice isn't actually that subjective.

He probably won't notice the difference but you might that Walton's have tuning issues. The two I have, tuned to G at 440, will be out sharp on the bell note by at least 20c and flat on the A over 20c.

Its enough to irritate the hell out of me. :D

My Feadóg tuned to A at 440 is fairly spot on.

The tone they produce are are similar enough... Feadóg seem to be a tad louder and brighter than the Walton's.

YMMV of course.
I agree, the Waltons I have tried all had the same tuning issues. It drives me a little crazy to have the bell note that far out of whack. Cyril.