Just what brought you to music?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Cork
antispam: No

Just what brought you to music?

Post by Cork »

OK, there are dabblers, those who give musical instruments a try.

However, it is clear that the majority of the individuals here on the C&F FF are musicians, of one stripe or another, at least.

So, fellow musicians, what brought you to music?
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

Begged for piano lessons in fifth grade. I mean begged.

Two years of that, then I went to saxophone in middle school, and I was beyond hope. Took up whistle in high school, and now I play that and flute pretty much exclusively. I've played a lot of instruments in the in-betweens, but I'm down to those two, now. Though the other day I did find a harmonica I never learned to play. I've been messing with it...
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

I think when I was a kid (10-12 maybe) I had a romantic notion of living as a hermit and playing a flute-type instrument to my goat herd on the side of a mountain. :lol:
Henke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

First it was friends in elementary school. We were a couple of guys who decided to start playing trumpet when everyone else played recorders. Then I quit and several years later it was the spirit of a couple of runned down Irish pubs in France and Spain that got me interested in ITM.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

My parents, especially my father. He had a band back then when I was 5, and I used to "practise" on his electric piano when he wasn't at home. Had a short look into classical guitar shortly after that but it didn't work for me. So my parents finally were convinced that they'll have to buy a piano. ;)
Played that thing for quite some years, but I quit in the later years on high school since I had too much other things to do (e.g. sitting in front of my computer and playing video games). At 16 I had to learn this "pseudo-medieval bagpipe", ordered one and started on the rec***er to practise the fingering. The bagpipe never arrived, a singer of my medieval music band back then brought me to irish music when I was 18, I fell in love with flute and uilleann pipes and the rest is history as they say. I'm 21 now.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

At my grade school, they had an "instrument zoo" day (the high school jazz band came, played, and you could try out the instruments). I'd always loved the Pink Pather tune, and they played that...so I had to start playing the sax.

I came to ITM through two avenues - a local Irish pub across the hall from a comedy club my wife and I used to go to and because of that damnable Matt Malloy and the Chieftans. Malley & Co opened the door, but I thought the music was only played in Ireland until we heard it coming from the pub one night after watching a comedy club.

Eric
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I'm not a musician. I was a church musician in childhood but not in adulthood.

Thought I'd give it a go again at age 42 now that I no longer live in an apartment with a day-sleeper upstairs and the land-lady next door.

I chose the flute because I learned a little of it as a child and thought it was easy back then, plus I just love the sound of a flute.

Irish music is what gave me the idea to try music again. Otherwise, I think I'd still be music-less.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
hydromel89

Post by hydromel89 »

I once was sport addict... but it gave pleasure to no one but me.
I am still a decent painter and good drawer... but the joy I sometimes give to others is constantly delayed.

I now try to be a decent player in order to give instant joy to people (stille work to do though!).

Pascal.
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

In grade school, we had a music instructor who got us all those white plastic flageolets with the burgundy-colored fipples and bell-shaped ends (sort of like a recorder). He would give us sheets with our individual parts on it to play as a choir. The parts were written in numbers, as in the number of fingers covering the holes for each note. It was a great system. I found that I had a good ear for figuring out tunes on my own, and have been playing ever since.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Cubbitt - I'm pretty sure those are flutophones...we had them, too, but didn't start using them in school until after I was already playing the sax and reading music. I found that numbering system maddening!

Eric
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

Jayhawk wrote:Cubbitt - I'm pretty sure those are flutophones...we had them, too, but didn't start using them in school until after I was already playing the sax and reading music. I found that numbering system maddening!

Eric
Right you are, Eric! Here's a picture and write-up:
http://musiced.about.com/od/windinstrum ... ophone.htm
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

What "brought" me to music?
I'm pretty sure it was "birth".
I was born into music. I came out singing.
Still can't stop.
Drives my office-mates crazy.
Can you hear me?
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

It's an odd and sordid tale... :lol:

When I was a kid my brother David had a recorder he'd bought while in college, and when he'd come home on breaks he'd play little songs on it by ear.

I was enchanted.

I hit fifth grade and mandatory P.E. classes. I hated P.E. because I was horrible at everything. I wasn't a fast runner, not a good catcher, couldn't throw, had the all the graceful coordination of a drunken elephant, hated sports...the one physical thing I was good at was riding a bicycle, which did me no good at all in P.E.

By the time I finished that year, my life was at one of its lowest ebbs. Thanks to P.E. class, I was now known as an easy mark for bullying. I hated school with a passion.

Then I found out that if you are in band you don't have to take P.E., and my black world had a hint of color around the edges again.

I begged my parents--literally got on my knees and begged--to play anything, didn't care what.

To make a long story short, I would up playing flute because the only cheaper band instrument available was the drums, and my parents couldn't abide the thought of my playing drums.

I think also my dad thought that I would get picked on for playing flute (he was right), and that I would hate it and want to quit (he was wrong). My folks weren't expecting me to stick with it--they rented the flute for the first several months instead of buying it.

Here's where it gets neat.

I was good at playing the flute.

I loved playing it. For the first time in my young life, I had found something I could do well at.

--James

Edited to fix a typo.
Last edited by peeplj on Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

hydromel89 wrote:I once was sport addict... but it gave pleasure to no one but me.
I am still a decent painter and good drawer... but the joy I sometimes give to others is constantly delayed.

I now try to be a decent player in order to give instant joy to people (stille work to do though!).

Pascal.
So music is instant gratification! Very nicely put.

I grew up with musical parents, too.
My first love was classical music. I had a love affair with Tchaikovsky, starting in first grade.

I'm grateful to my elementary music teacher, Mrs. Carpenter, for pulling me out of the window-well where I was humming along to something, and making me part of her after-school singing group.

Jennie
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

I never really got the bug for music unti I was in my early twenties. Some artist types in Ithaca, NY where I was lliving at the time dabbled in music. At some point I got a hold of a recorder and taught myself to read music and began to play simple early music. After a few years of that I heard this band called DeDannan at the Philly Folk Festival, and shortly thereafter got hold of a whistle, then a flute, then a low whistle, a practice set of pipes....well, you can see where this is going. Oh look, there's my banjo and fiddle....
Arbo