Shiny Brass Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Franz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Shiny Brass Whistles

Post by Franz »

What is your favorite polish to keep your brass whistles looking new? I've used "Brasso" but don't like the smell. Recommendations please!
CranberryDog
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CranberryDog »

Flitz: http://www.flitz-polish.com/

Works for me.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I like Simichrome for very occasional use. Non-abrasive, very effective, a tiny dab does an entire whistle. The odor is pungent but doesn't persist after polishing. The usual caveats about residue in the fipple and toneholes apply.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I don't think I've ever polished a whistle. They're lucky if they get a bath in soapy water every three years or so. And I like the matte look of brass with the finger prints around the tone holes.
/Bloomfield
slowair

Post by slowair »

Directions from our old friend Zub:

Heat a glass or two of vinegar in a pan, bring it to boiling while dissolving kitchen salt in it to saturation. I.e. keep adding salt and stirring until the salt doesn't seem to dissolve any more. It does take a lot, like half-a-glass of salt.

Watch out, do this soup in a well ventilated kitchen: there's chlorine evaporating.

Let it cool outside. Pour in a bottle, slowly to leave the salt deposit in the pan. Stopper the bottle for storage.

This liquid is non toxic, use it on a rag to remove stains on brass/copper whistles . Wipe dry. If you dislike the faint vinegar smell remaining, wash with soapy water before drying.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Bloomfield wrote:I don't think I've ever polished a whistle. They're lucky if they get a bath in soapy water every three years or so. And I like the matte look of brass with the finger prints around the tone holes.

Bloomfield is also soon to be offering a special product. Keep checking back for details!

;) :D
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Vinegar + salt ... plus tomato paste = ketchup.

This is also an old pub guitarist's trick for reviving a dead brass/bronze string. Some ketchup on a napkin, add some salt, then scrub and rinse. I tried it once, and it more or less works. Tastes good, too.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Toothpaste, no mixing, no waiting, no bad smell, just rub it on and rub it off. Smells good and less decay.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
DreamOgreen

Post by DreamOgreen »

Hey Tommy, have you ever noticed if the toothpaste leaves any scratches? I had thought that toothpaste had a mild abrasive in it. Boy that's just the thing to go with flossing the airway :)
Ron Jarvis

Post by Ron Jarvis »

Is there anything wrong with #0000 steel wool used very lightly? Ron
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I burnish the brass with a piece of Chamois leather. That gives it a great patena.
Last edited by fancypiper on Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Franz

Post by Franz »

Thanks for the replies! I haven't had a chance to try the commercial brands suggested, but I did try toothpaste and ketchup. They both work well with toothpaste being a slight winner. And when I travel, I will always have some polish with me. :D

No more "Brasso" smell.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Perhaps a topcoat of wax, lacquer, or finger nail polish would be helpful in reducing the discoloration.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Ron Jarvis

Post by Ron Jarvis »

Can you use #0000 steel wool to clean a whistle? Ron
slowair

Post by slowair »

Ron Jarvis wrote:Can you use #0000 steel wool to clean a whistle? Ron
Yes, I do.

For some jobs, I just use the salt/vinegar solution. If there is green stuff in the tuning slide or I want that look of brand spankin' new, I'll use #0000 steel wool.

Others may think this abrasive, but I've done it many times and there has been no ill effects so far.

I find that if I don't keep the whistle polished, the tuning slide sticks after some time, even when using lubrication. So periodically, I will use the solution to get back most of the shine. Then a light, quick application of steel wool, followed by a water bath to get out the pieces of steel wool that will fall away from the wool pad and into the tube. Then dry the inside with two swabs to make sure it is dry. After that, I apply joint grease from Susato to the slide. (I've had the same stick for six years.)

Hope this helps.
Mike