The Ultimate Whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MagicSailor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The Ultimate Whistle?

Post by MagicSailor »

Hi

What is the ultimate tin whistle?

Which whistle would you choose if someone offered to buy you one whistle as a present and you could choose any whistle on the planet whether it's a current model or a historic one. You can make your choice based on the quality and playability of the instrument or historic value or whatever. It does not matter whether the whistle is available on the market or not.

Note that for the purpose of this thread, you would never be allowed to sell the whistle. You would have to keep and play it or give it back, so choose a whistle you'd like to own, not one you'd like to sell so you could get your greedy hands on the cash.

Single whistles or sets with one head and several bodies are allowed. Multiple whistles would be considered greedy, but you can always list a couple of different ones in order of preference.

PS. Let's make it clear that I am not buying you guys any whistles!

EDIT: It would be nice if you give some background on the whistle of your choice and explain why you want it. And, Bloomfield, the title of the thread may be possible to misunderstand, but I do say "Tin Whistle" at the top of this post...."

Regards,

Owen Morgan
Yacht Magic
Anchored in the lagoon, St Maarten

My new blog.
Click here for my latest reported position. (Use the satellite view.)
Last edited by MagicSailor on Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

/Bloomfield
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

A Humphrey B natural.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

I think I can't choose one. I should have them all!!
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

My second choice would be a sticky tack tweaked Generation Bb.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

Hi again

I think my own choice would be an O'Brien set of three piece wooden whistles in Bb, C, D, and Eb.

I'm not sure whether he'd be able to make one head span all four keys as I've found getting a single head to play well with three keys has been a stretch with my homemade PVC whistles. I'm hard pressed to decide whether I'd go for Bb, C and D or C, D and Eb if I had to choose only three keys, but I think the Bb would win the day.

I made myself a three piece D PVC whistle that slips nicely into a pocket and I never go anywhere without it. It plays well and sounds good, but it's nowhere near as pretty as an O'Brien wooden whistle.

Regards,

Owen Morgan
Yacht Magic
Anchored in the lagoon, St Maarten

My new blog.
Click here for my latest reported position. (Use the satellite view.)
Stuporman

Post by Stuporman »

Oak Classic D
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Hoover tunable ski pole low G.
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
MTGuru

Re: The Ultimate Whistle?

Post by MTGuru »

MagicSailor wrote:What is the ultimate tin whistle?
The one in your hands. Play it well. Be happy. Mazel Tov.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
slowair

Post by slowair »

Would be the Hudson Winds D, made by Peter Bonsteel.

http://www.hudsonwinds.com/

My review: http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... dson+winds

Mike
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Overton A or Generation Bb
Tucson Whistler

Post by Tucson Whistler »

Tied between 2...

Thornton & Hudson Winds

The whistles look completely different, but both are beautiful and very well made. The Hudson Winds is easy to play and sounds full and rich. I think it makes me sounds better than I am. On the other hand, the Thornton makes you work some and when you have it, man it's awesome. Bright, a bit chiffy and just about perfect.
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
JordanII

Post by JordanII »

Thin Weasel Blackwood D.
jsluder

Re: The Ultimate Whistle?

Post by jsluder »

MagicSailor wrote:What is the ultimate tin whistle?

Which whistle would you choose if someone offered to buy you one whistle as a present and you could choose any whistle on the planet whether it's a current model or a historic one.
Personally, I'd love to get my hands on a Paddy McChud "Mr Pointy" high D-sharp vampire-stake whistle.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
arnie

Post by arnie »

I'm in love with the characteristic, unique sound of Overton, but I don't play it myself (yet) as far as the high whistles is concerned.
I play Gen, Sindt and Impempe. I'm in love with my Impempe D. It's extremely solid, beautifully simple-looking and with a complex, somewhat flutish sound. The magic of this South African whistle is in the volume. It is known to be a quiet whistle. But at the same time it can be heard very well from 50 yards as if it was next to you. It's a good whistle to play inside and my loudest whistle very fit to play outside and very, very responsive and in tune. And what's more: it's cost is $40,-!!!! It's just incredible that it's not more popular! I also have a C, Bb and an F. And what's more, Ian Turnbull, the maker is the kind of guy that sends you a whistle just to try and you can send it back if you don't like it and pay if you keep it.