Dixon flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ofloyd

Dixon flutes

Post by ofloyd »

Hello everyone. Are the Tony Dixon irish flutes worth looking at for a first irish flute? I posted about his whistles on the whistle forum but I am also interested in learning the irish flute as well. I play a boehm stlye flute now and wanted to begin irish whistle and flute. I notice that the Dixon flute I am looking at can also be used with a fipple and act as a low D whistle as well. Could this be a good combo for me for learning both irish flute and whistle? The model I am looking at I believe is priced around $100 for the body, whistle head, and flute head. Should I consider another? Thanks.
Jack Bradshaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Stay away...far away, from that particular model....although the whistle head is decent if you want to put it on a different flute....

Other Dixons can be quite decent...
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

Hey OFloyd,

Doc currently has two good Dixons at the Irish Flute Store. Here: http://www.irishflutestore.com/newsite/ ... =55&c2=137 I myself am tempted to try the wooden maple flute.

All the Best!
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I wonder how it compares to the Sweetheart maple D.
Feadoggie
antispam: No

Post by Feadoggie »

Similar to what I posted to your inquiry on the whistle board - Dixon whistles are decent whistles. The flute head for the low D (or low C) doesn't make for a very good flute - especially not for a beginner on the Irish flute. Now, the two Dixon low D whistle/flute combos I have owned are the older style, without the lip plate now offered. Has anyone out there tried one of the new models?

You would be better served by getting the Dixon low whistle and a Tipple flute. The Dixon three-piece polymer flutes can be pretty useful. They are a pretty good beginner flute.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
ofloyd

Post by ofloyd »

Thanks for the heads up everyone. I was just at the Irish Flute Store and seen a few that I am interested in. I hope you all can give me an "ok" or "no go" on these:

Hammy Hamilton practice flute - new $115.
Miller Windwood bamboo D - new $89.
Tipple tunable PVC - pre-owned $55.

From these, you can see where my price range is . . . Thanks!!
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

All three have been spoken highly of on these forums. Of the three, I've played only the Tipple, and highly recommend it.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
ofloyd

Post by ofloyd »

crookedtune wrote:All three have been spoken highly of on these forums. Of the three, I've played only the Tipple, and highly recommend it.
Thanks. Are all the notes and registers able to come through evenly or are some harder than the others to achieve? Was the Tipple you played the PVC model?
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I think all Tipples are PVC. Do a forum search and you'll find lots of glowing recommendations.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
ofloyd

Post by ofloyd »

sbfluter wrote:I think all Tipples are PVC. Do a forum search and you'll find lots of glowing recommendations.
Thanks for the clarification.

This particular flute, as seen at The Irish Flute Store web page has an additional two holes on the end. What are these two holes for? Many of the other Irish flutes that I have seen have just six holes just like the whistles?? Thanks again for all the help.
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Doug explains on his site, if I remember aright. Some folk like the "full length" concert flute proportions, as if there were a low C foot joint. Obviously, if you aren't going to have keys, you still need at least the D tone hole drilled in the tube (the other is just an extra vent) or you'd go from a very muffled E to a low C when you put down R3! Some people consider there are tone, intonation, response and octave balance advantages with the extended foot. Others disagree. Personally I am indifferent to the question. There was a thread recently about this whole issue here.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
gurgler

Post by gurgler »

Hey Ofloyd

I've had Tony Dixon's flute-whistle-combo for some month now.

My flute head is the later model with lip plate and I'm blown away by its huge volume, authentic tone and in-tuneness(?) in 2 octaves. Yes it DOES look and feels like a piece of black cylindrical pvc plumber's pipe but with a 'good' player behind a curtain with a selection of other 'good' irish flutes, I doubt whether you could pick the Dixon. I do own and play three 'real' blackwood flutes from three well known makers and as soon as I can find a guineapig with a musical ear . . . I'll keep you posted.

On the other hand I found the same body with the whistle head attached rather insipid and disappointing . . . maybe I just got the 'Friday' whistle. If I lived closer I'd take it back but not really worth the postage.

Robert
ofloyd

Post by ofloyd »

Thanks for the link jemtheflute. I'll be sure to readhis reasoning for the eight holes.

Thanks for the feedback gurgler. So, it seems that the old style headjoint without the lip plate isn't as good as the newer headjoints with the lip plate. Now I have to decide between the Tipple and the Dixon . . .
Tootler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Tootler »

I have the older style Dixon two piece polymer flute and I must say I am a little puzzled by the extreme negative reaction I have seen in this and other threads.

I found the Dixon flute easy to get a sound from and once I had got a basic idea of producing the sound, found its tone quite good. I did have some trouble initally with finger stretch, which surprised me as I am used to playing tenor recorder and the finger stretch is not really that different. The hand position is, though and I put it down to that. I did nearly give up at one point because I seemed to be making little progress, but was given another flute and that fitted my hand better and I started to make progress again. I play the Dixon fairly regularly to give my other flute a rest and find it plays fine.
Jack Bradshaw wrote:Stay away...far away, from that particular model....
I would be interested to know what exactly your objections are.

My suggestion to ofloyd is if you are in the US go for a Tipple, if you are in the UK, go for a Dixon, but elswhere, take your pick.

Geoff
Geoff Walker

Westmoreland (Playford, 1686)
Tootler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Tootler »

I have the older style Dixon two piece polymer flute and I must say I am a little puzzled by the extreme negative reaction I have seen in this and other threads.

I found the Dixon flute easy to get a sound from and once I had got a basic idea of producing the sound, found its tone quite good. I did have some trouble initally with finger stretch, which surprised me as I am used to playing tenor recorder and the finger stretch is not really that different. The hand position is, though and I put it down to that. I did nearly give up at one point because I seemed to be making little progress, but was given another flute and that fitted my hand better and I started to make progress again. I play the Dixon fairly regularly to give my other flute a rest and find it plays fine.
Jack Bradshaw wrote:Stay away...far away, from that particular model....
I would be interested to know what exactly your objections are.

My suggestion to ofloyd is if you are in the US go for a Tipple, if you are in the UK, go for a Dixon, but elswhere, take your pick.

Geoff
Geoff Walker

Westmoreland (Playford, 1686)