EC Tional-East Durham 10/26-10/28

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
woodshampoo
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Durham

Post by woodshampoo »

Neil, it was good to finally meet. I had a great time and really appreciate everyones' help while I was there.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

So how did it go?

T
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

It was amazing.

Gavin's was a marvellous venue, meals were really good. Scheduling was terrific - I thought it was simplified so well. Lots of instruction time - I didn't feel rushed to get to the next class.

Instruction by Louise Mulcahy was brilliant in our intermediate class. She is an excellent musician with witty banter which made it lots of fun. She truly gives our community a very fine touch of class.

Kevin Rowsome is such a wonderful person and piper whose warmth and gentle nature makes one forget the kind of piping royalty bestowed upon him. Watching Benedict and Kevin play on Saturday night was an incredible moment. Two very close friends with so much talent and so little pretentiousness -- no wonder I feel so inspired by these two!

I had the great pleasure of talking with Bill Ochs, Nick Whitmer, Mike Connelly, Jim (C&F: Pipey) and so many other colourful and charming pipers. It was wonderful to see Seth Gallagher, Pat Hutchinson, Jonathan Hohl Kennedy, and of course Benedict, Hillary, Debbie Q, Suzanne, Margaret (quite a good showing by us Canucks!!) and so many more. My room mates Virgil and Greg made me laugh nearly non-stop, especially on Saturday night - thanks guys :lol:

I will definitley be there again next year - waaaay too good to pass up!
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
malanstevenson
Tell us something.: I've been playing the uilleann pipes, flute and whistle for about 18 years or so. I've been listening to Irish and Scottish traditional music for almost 40 years now.

Post by malanstevenson »

Ditto Paul's remarks - and I'm sorry to say that I missed the screening of his film as my class went a bit over time, but heard that it was very well received. The exhibit of his photos was marvelous. I believe an attendance record was set, something like 60 pipers registered.

Kudos to the organizing committee for an excellent job and for finding such a lovely venue!
DarthWeasel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by DarthWeasel »

I think that was the best time I've had at one of these events. Very tired this morning to say the least. I think Paul pretty well summed it up.

I'd like to add that I had a really great time Saturday night after the concert. There was a little session going and everyone was playing their C-chanters. I didn't have one but there seemed to be plenty floating around in there.

Oh and for those who have pictures please share.
"Sleep well, and dream of large women"
malanstevenson
Tell us something.: I've been playing the uilleann pipes, flute and whistle for about 18 years or so. I've been listening to Irish and Scottish traditional music for almost 40 years now.

Post by malanstevenson »

I'd like to add that I had a really great time Saturday night after the concert. There was a little session going and everyone was playing their C-chanters. I didn't have one but there seemed to be plenty floating around in there.
Hi Dan,

that was my chanter you were playing, and doing a fine job with it. Good meeting you, and very nice playing! I think you need a flat set now (and who doesn't?).

Mark
DarthWeasel

Post by DarthWeasel »

That’s a great set you got there. I'm jealous!!
"Sleep well, and dream of large women"
J-dub

Post by J-dub »

I believe an attendance record was set, something like 60 pipers registered
60 pipers and not a single incident, no knife fights, no whiskey bottle to-the-head trick as far as I'm aware of - a very fine and civilized event.

I too thought it was one of the best Tylenol's I have been to. I really had a great time in Bill Ochs' class, he is an extremely fine and effective teacher and, although he normally seems to shy away from 'public performances' by his own account, I thought his performance at the concert exemplified particularly great pipering!

My only criticism (and really I only bring this up for the sake of other passengers on my return flight) is the choice of Corn Beef and Cabbage for lunch on the last day - conditions ripe for a 'perfect storm' as it were :P
There was a little session going and everyone was playing their C-chanters. I didn't have one but there seemed to be plenty floating around in there.
Hi Dan,

that was indeed a great time and some mighty great playing on your part I might add. You need a C set now! keep in mind that I should have two C full sets done by next year's event, so I hope I make it again! I wish I had a go on Neil's massive Froment set, but I probably would've ruptured a disk. I'm not sure how I managed to stay up past three am both days after flying the red-eye Thursday night/Friday morning, but I survived.

Now, I just have to let my liver recover enough before this coming weekend in Socal!

Best regards to all who attended the event!

John
No E

Post by No E »

J-dub wrote:
Now, I just have to let my liver recover enough before this coming weekend in Socal! ...

John
Better get yourself on a transplant list :twisted:

No E
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
J-dub

Post by J-dub »

Better get yourself on a transplant list
Can' we just cover that with the registration fees? Maybe they should have some fresh livers on hand at future events, you know already packed on ice in the beer cooler and all - really handy. And I would trust some of the more renowned reed makers to do the transplant over some physicians I've had the displeasure of knowing.

John
Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

NE Tional

Post by Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa »

I am happy to report that the NE (US) Tional at Gavin's in East Durham went off extremely well (IMHO). There were 60 pipers in attendance ( a new record and up from 44 last year) taking classes from about a half a dozen instructors (Bill Ochs, Jerry O'Sullivan, Debbie Quigley, Benedict Koehler, Kevin Rowesome, Louise Mulcahy). Seth Gallegher provided reed making classes (beginner and advanced). There were also about 15 fiddlers in attendance taking classess from Willie Kelly, and other mucisians. Michael Cooney and Patrick Hutchinson were also in attendance. People came from as far away as Utah and there were about 10 from Canada (I think that they probably would like to rename the Tional, the Southeast Tional).

Two standout events occurred that were both thouroughly invested with their memories, thoughts, time and effort by their presenters:

First, was Paul Reids film relating to present day Irish piper luminaries, with interviews of well known pipers such as Kevin Rowsome, Mick O'Brian, and Gay McKeon. The interviews were wonderful accounts of the early days of the breakout years (if you will pardon my own view of the period) for traditional Irish music and the pipes in the late 60s and 70s. Clearly Paul gave his heart and soul to the project (labeled part 2 which left me with the hunger to view part 1 and part 3??), as well as his deft photographic skill in capturing many well know pipers and makers in his photography which was on display (with deference to Louise's humerous opinion's regarding the subjects seriousness and lack of female representation). Encore Paul!

Second, was Kevin Rowsome's lecture with slides, audio and film clips. Kevin is a soft spoken gentleman. He did however, speak passionately and thoroughly of his family history, complete with photos some of which provided amusement. The pictures included piping luminaries including 4 out of 5 generations of Rowsomes and others as well as some present day piping luminaries in their adolecent years, adolecents making funny faces in otherwise serious piper photos, and my favorite, was the film clip of the parade with the flatbead truck loaded with rows of kitchen chairs and young Leo Rowsome piping students playing on the moving vehicle-today there would be a couple of lawyers trailing for a possible accident legal bonanza or a newspaper clamoring for someone's sanctioning for the unsafe conditions. The presentation was most enjoyable and personal, coming from the mouth of someone who was reared in the thick of it all. Bravo to Kevin!

The teachers were brilliant. I had classes with Louise, Kevin and Benedict, and I thouroughly enjoyed the craic and the tunes that they shared.

The concert was of typical outstanding caliber, with changing styles and tempos. It began with Bill Ochs opening I am happy to say because he so rarely performs (I would have loved to had heard him on the whistle as well or even two whistles simultaneously). He also graced us with the recitation of a poem specific to reeds and their making. Jerry played in his typical whole body approach, and I am convinced that his manner of playing differs from the other musicians in that, like a professional athlete, he has no quams about engaging every muscle in his body in his playing as evidenced by the pool of sweat under his chair equal only to that of a well used stair master excersize machine. His playing was intense, percussive, and as always, perfect. Louise, the youngest (and best looking - which has no bearing on my critique) of the pipers performing, played a Woof C flat set and was equally sharp in her piping as she was with her humor, particularly regarding Paul Reids choices of subjects and their demeaner, not to mention Jerry's rigor. She played several lovely airs among other tunes, and played with great confidence and talent. Will surely hear and see much more of her I hope. Debbie played together with Willy Kelly on the fiddle. Both play with such ease and fluidity together, that you don't even realize the passing of the time. Kevin and Benedict played together and solo as well. Kevin's playing of the Fox Chase was terrific. He also treated us to comments regarding how many times his grandfather and his father would kill the fox when they played it. Benedict's solo perfiormance included a song. Yes Benedict sang. It also was about an ailing animal, this time an aging horse dieing of natural causes though. It was a sean nos song backed only by his drones. I didn't know that he had it in him. It was a treat, and he should sing more often. Together they played to close out the concert to rounding applause.

I had a real enjoyable time (the tunes and the fine company) at a session on Saturday night, here before referred to as the C session. I am still however, longing for the the recovery of the sleep lost though. Great crew of pipers from the Salt Lake region!

I am happy to report my take on the accomadations is favorable. The rooms were clean and functional. The food was exceptional as compared to typical Catskill cuisine. We were clearly very well fed. The rooms for classes were sufficently large in most cases, though I believe that the number of locations will require the Gavins to learn from this year's event. We were told that next year's event will also be at Gavins and on the weekend of October 24th.

I missed the piper's chair (and dinner) on Friday night due to excessive rain that led to equally excessive traffic from lower New York, so I am not in a position to comment on it.

Susanne Ward, the grand poobah, did an outstanding job again. Next year she passes the baton to the very competent Kara Doyle. Sussanne, Kara, Frank, Liam, Benedict, Skip, and others that I am sure that I am forgetting (sorry) should be commmended on their collective outstanding efforts to bring together such a large group of uilleann pipers, I am sure the largest ever in North America, to a grand weekend. I am remotivated and my batteries are recharged.

I already reserved my room for next year.

PS: another awesome T-Shirt for the Tional with two skeletins playing pipes and fiddle against the black backdrop. My three fiddler children participants really thought that that it was cool.

Neil
Last edited by Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa on Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Its FADA not FA...space limitation I guess.

New York pipers check out https://www.facebook.com/groups/332419835911/ (Cumann na bPíobairí Uilleann Inis Fada, the Long Island Uilleann Pipers Club)
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

I most graciously accept your compliments. My project is truly a labour of love. Thanks!
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
Kerryman

Post by Kerryman »

Neil,
This is a great description of the weekends events. You "hit the nail on the head" with your comments.
I would like to congratulate Paul Reid on his documentary. This is very interesting stuff and I am looking forward to seeing more episodes.
Keep up the good work Paul!

Also, for anybody who is interested, the Rowsome set that turned up at the estate sale in New Jersey a few months ago was brought to the event by its new owner. It seems to be in great shape and was definately quite a find.

Now, time to start working on "The Salamanca", just the way Benedict showed us.

Liam
Member - Hudson River Pipers Club
www.hudsonriverpipersclub.com
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

Unfortunately I couldn't go, but I gotta get me one of those T-shirts!
Corin
Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa »

meemtp wrote:Unfortunately I couldn't go, but I gotta get me one of those T-shirts!
Contact Susanne Ward. She had a few extras I think, but many sizes as well as the long sleeve shirts sold out quickly.
Its FADA not FA...space limitation I guess.

New York pipers check out https://www.facebook.com/groups/332419835911/ (Cumann na bPíobairí Uilleann Inis Fada, the Long Island Uilleann Pipers Club)