What is your least favorite word?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

"Outsourcing."

This word as it's come to be used means "firing your neighbors."

:x

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

Where I work, forklifts are commonly referred to as 'jeeps'... absolutely drives me nuts! :swear:
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
WhistlingArmadillo

Post by WhistlingArmadillo »

"Rural". And in a similar vein, "Drury Lane".
At the end of it all, I want to be told "Well done". I don't want to _be_ well done!
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Doug_Tipple wrote:
WyoBadger wrote:Lately I've gotten tired of school administrators saying "piece" when they mean "part."

The latest thing...
The first definition of "piece" in my dictionary is: "a part of a whole". So, you might hear me say "piece" when I really meant "part", just like the school administrators. However, when the administrators say that half of the high school seniors are carrying a piece to school, that is when I would run the other direction and call for help. You definately do have to be careful how you use the word "piece", though. In most social contexts it isn't OK to say that you would like a "piece of that" unless you are certain that everyone knows with certainty that you are referring to the cake and not the cupcake beside it. You can get by with the expression, "That was a piece of cake".
You wanna piece of me, punk?

T
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Jack

Post by Jack »

"World" is so hard for non-natives to pronounce, I know a lot hate it. I only know one non-native English speaker who pronounces it correctly (the dark L after the R is tricky) and she's Dutch.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

sbfluter wrote: Do they have any idea how vacuous and sheep-like they sound?
:really:
Cotelette d'Agneau
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Cranberry wrote:I hate when people say "That's so gay" or "That's gay" as though "gay" is an insult equivalent to "stupid."
Think of it as the language evolving, as when "gay" switched from meaning "happily excited, merry, keenly alive and exuberant, having or inducing high spirits" to meaning "homosexual."

And put me down as being opposed to "should of," "would of," and "could of."
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
emmline

Post by emmline »

Cranberry wrote:"World" is so hard for non-natives to pronounce, I know a lot hate it. I only know one non-native English speaker who pronounces it correctly (the dark L after the R is tricky) and she's Dutch.
And in most short cognitive function tests you are required to spell it backwards. Or "earth."
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

This is a local/regional thing, but it drives me nuts: "might could". As in, "You might could set that tire on fire." (Pronounced, of course, "set that tar on far.")
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
emmline

Post by emmline »

crookedtune wrote:This is a local/regional thing, but it drives me nuts: "might could". As in, "You might could set that tire on fire." (Pronounced, of course, "set that tar on far.")
In correct usage, this would be followed by the phrase "right quick."
Phonetically:
"Yew maht cood set that tar on far rot queeick."
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

gonzo914 wrote:Think of it as the language evolving...
Thinking of words changing meaning, I do not like the way Martini has come to mean anything served in a cocktail glass (now often referred to as a Martini glass).
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

I.D.10-t wrote:
gonzo914 wrote:Think of it as the language evolving...
Thinking of words changing meaning, I do not like the way Martini has come to mean anything served in a cocktail glass (now often referred to as a Martini glass).
I agree wholeheartedly. There is no place in a martini for apples, cinnamon, Drambuie, butterscotch, schnapps or any of a host of candy-assed adulterants, the primary function of which is to make the drink not taste like a martini so the feeble-minded and weak of spirit can pretend they are grown-ups. I don't even like the idea of a vodka martini because it is starting to be assumed as the default in those chi-chi establishment that cater to afficionados of fruity drinks.

That's why I order Gibsons on those occasions when I eschew the nectar of Scotland for a less primal potation.
And yellow fringe
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

peeplj wrote:"Outsourcing."

This word as it's come to be used means "firing your neighbors."

:x

--James
Or more precisely, "Firing your neighbors and sending the work to an Indian sweat shop staffed with sub-minimum wage workers."

The EMP from a couple of well-placed Pakistani airbursts would do wonders for the employment market for American IT workers, not to mention an overall increase in customer satisfaction in all sectors.

Not that I'm advocating that, mind you.
And yellow fringe
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

Innocent Bystander wrote:My least favourite expression: "Oh, one more thing..."
Innocent Bystander