special at greenlinnet

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

Chris, some of my favorite pick up lines:

- Hey, you look like this gorgeous gal in Star Trek!

- Your fingers are amazing, I'm sure they'd do great on my Microsoft keyboard! Did you know that AMD is as good as a Pentium? Have you ever used Linux?

- Nice ring... have you seen Lords of the Ring? This elf dude is great, he can shoot two arrows at the same time!

Anyway, it seems to keep women away. If you ever need me again, I'm there for you :smile:
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

ROTFLMFAO

Dude, Azalin, you win.... that was the funniest thing I've read in days.
That, my friend, is why I like you so much!

Your pal,
Chris
Cyfiawnder
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cyfiawnder »

Hey I want some Jerky! I get mine a farmers markets. That way when I spend $5 I get a pound, and not 4oz. No I'm not on crack :wink: I'm sky high on Cafine...
WhistlingGypsy

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

Chris,

Can you give a quick mini-review on Moving Cloud - Foxglove. I need one more CD to make up my order.

Thks
Cheers Image
Gerry
Think before you Think before you Post!
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Sure enough....

http://www.greenlinnet.com/listen/ra/1186.ram

There you have the entire album in streaming Realaudio format :smile:
That shoudl help you, eh?

Best,
Chris
WhistlingGypsy

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

Not really.......

I cannot download any Real Player files to my computer at work for some reason. Thats why I was hoping for an educated opinion.

Don't worry about it though.....I'll probably order it anyhow based on the tracks and artists.....it certainly sounds great.

thanks again
Cheers Image
Gerry
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

No problem Gerry.
Hmm.... Moving Cloud....

In my opinion, Moving Cloud plays in the best of the old Clare style. The tunes sound like they're being played for dancers and are played with a lovely, playful, rock steady rythm and a nice lift.

This is really old fashioned sounding music, so if you don't like the older styles I'd steer clear of this. If, however, you dig the older, very traditional styles of playing, you'll dig this CD enormously.

Most of the CD is played tuned up into Eb, which helps to give it that bright sound that is so much fun.

Also, Moving Cloud are not afraid to play more than just reels and jigs. This CD is full of barndances, slides, polkas, mazurkas and all sorts of fun stuff.

All the musicians (most of whom are a bit on the older side) are true masters of the grand old Clare style. A nice highlight for a flute/whistle player like myself is Kevin Crawford's sublime playing. It's really wonderful to hear how well he adapts his playing to match the ultra-traditional, set-dance style of this band. His playing and his tone, are completely different here than in Lunasa.

If you like the old music and you want to feel like you're at a great old set dance in Lisdoonvarna or thereabouts, this is the album for you.

Best,
Chris
WhistlingGypsy

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

Thanks so much Chris...

I really do like the old style so this CD should be right up my alley. I was speaking with Martin Hayes about this a few weeks ago when he was here in Ottawa and he also admitted to being a lover of the Ceili Band style of music.

I am looking forward to getting this along with the other 5 CD's I'm ordering from Green Linnet:

Patrick Street, Street Life
Gavin, Frankie, Frankie Goes To Town
The Green Fields Of America, Live in Concert
Lúnasa, Otherworld
Williams, John, Steam

The only one I'm not sure about is 'The Green Fields Of America, Live in Concert'. Have you heard of this or know anything about it?

Thks again
Cheers Image
Gerry
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

That's a great choice of CDs!
I don't know about the Green Fields of America CD, but I hope it's good! Give us your review when you get it.
Best,
Chris
P.S. - Do you have Martin's newest CD? If so, care to give us a quick review?
energy

Post by energy »

Allow me to also point out that Liz Caroll's last three albums are on the Green Linnet label. I think her best one is her newest. Lost In the Loop is really good too, and I actually don't like her self titled album a whole lot; it's good, but it has a much drier feel to it.
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
"I'm the goodest sheep rider there is. Except Jesus." - Koby Blunt, multiple time rodeo champion, age 6
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Chris cracks me up
:wink:
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Liz Carrol is superb.
The reason I didn't mention her in my list was that only "pure drop" recordings were requested.
My favorite is "Lost in the Loop".
Best,
Chris
WhistlingGypsy

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

I don't know about the Green Fields of America CD, but I hope it's good! Give us your review when you get it.
Best,
Chris
P.S. - Do you have Martin's newest CD? If so, care to give us a quick review?
Chris, I don't have Martin's latest CD. The only one I have is Lonesome Touch.

Once I receive the CD's I will give a review on the 'Green Fields of America'

P.S. I managed to listen to the Moving Cloud CD last night at home through Real Player ~ your review is spot on, I really enjoyed it ~ thanks....
Cheers Image
Gerry
TomB

Post by TomB »

Regarding Moving Cloud, I could not put it nearly as eloquently as Chris did, but I can say that I love their music. They are one of the reasons that I became interested in this type of music.

I was fortunate enough to participate in a ceili that they played at several years ago in Gaithersburg, Maryland. All I can say is that because of the music, all the dancers were better that evening.

All the Best, Tom
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

I got my order from Green Linnet yesterday! Here's what I ordered 14 days ago:

"The Tailor's Choice" (Joe Burke, flute)
"The Russell Family" (Micho, Pakie, & Gussie Russell on flutes, whistles, concertina)
"Molloy/Brady/Peoples" (Matt Molloy, flute, Paul Brady, guitar, Tommy Peoples, fiddle)
"Street Life" (Patrick Street)
"The Lonesome Touch" (Martin Hayes, fiddle & Dennis Cahill, guitar)
"Whisper of a Secret" (Deanta,with singer Mary Dillon)

A mix of old school and newer takes. I don't know where to begin! I wish I could upload them all into my brain at once! I can't wait to know every song by heart.

Cara