Steam - Great CD!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Just wanted to take a quick moment to plug the John Williams "Steam" CD here. Dale mentioned some time back how good this recording is, and now that I've finally had a chance to give it a listen, I have to agree - very nice!

I'm not much on writing long CD reviews any more, partly because I get the impression they have little impact around here, so I'll just mention that while there is some really nice whistle playing on this CD, I enjoyed even more for fact that this recording is a wonderful break for the ear and the brain from the standard type fare we might normally hear - Williams main instrument being the accordion, and with that instrument a further up in the mix, these tunes will be familiar, but they'll strike you in a different way, and that's a wonderful thing.

So, in short, go buy Steam, it's a great CD!

Loren
P.S. If you liked Jim Conway's Mouthbox, then you'll like this, and vice versa.
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

Been listening to it this morning while I clean house. I ordered it from Green Linnet and got that free other compilation that was on Thread a few days ago. Great tune choices and tempos, very interesting guitar accompaniment (probly too busy for more purist types).

Like Loren said, its refreshing on the ears if you're like me and listen to geezer records most of the time. Just a wide palette of textures and ranges in our favorite idiom but done with genuine talent and creativity, not because of studio techniques. And I can think of two tunes on there that have very nice whistling parts to boot.

I second Loren's recommendation.
carrie

Post by carrie »

I third Loren's recommendation. :smile:

The whole CD is wonderful. A real standout, though, is track 4, Miss Hamilton. Achingly beautiful, in my opinion. You can hear a little of it on the amazon site.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... ct-details
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

That's one I'll have to get. I like Williams' first recording a lot. There's nice accompaniment on it too. Eoin O'Neill plays bouzouki. There's also a guitar. Joseph Sobol plays cittern on one cut. Williams doesn't play whistle on it but Micho Russell plays on a few cuts.

Steve
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Hey Loren, stop with the throw-away lines already, like you doubt you have impact here. You will continue to have impact on me and I'm going to try the CD. Keep putting it out there. Regards,

Philo
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

This is a very, very nice CD. The first time I listened to track 5, the Humours of Kilclogher and Mrs. O'Sullivan's, I couldn't help but put it on repeat and play along with it until I've learned the tunes.
This is a really exceptional CD.
Best,
Chris
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Thanks Phil, but seriously I really don't get the impression that CD reviews, by me or anyone else, are given much weight around here. If someone plugs a whistle, then others jump in, and sing it's praises Later, after someone buys based on in part on all of that, they post a how happy they are, but this doesn't seem to happen much with recordings. This thread and the few rare others not withstanding.

Never the less, I'll keep throwing out some mini-reviews here and there, as I have time, and perhaps I'll be proven wrong.

Can't go wrong with Steam though, that's for sure!

Loren
John Williams

Post by John Williams »

I was just notified by a student that there
was some positive discussion about my
recent release "Steam" on Green Linnet Records.
For anyone interested, I can ship autographed cd's anywhere for $16 check or moneyorder {S&H included}. Simply reply so we can exchange shipping addresses. Titles available:
Steam (Green Linnet)
John Williams (Green Linnet)
Solas (Shanachie)
Sunny Spells & Scattered Showers (Shanachie)
Dear Ol' Erin's Isle (Nimbus)
Hidden Treasures of Irish Music in Chicago (Big Chicago Records)
Road to Perdition -soundtrak (Decca)
Out of Ireland-soundtrak (Shanachie)

Thanks in advance for nurturing recorded
music directly at the roots.
Sincerely,
John Williams
http://www.johnwilliamsmusic.com
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

John -
Welcome, and thank you for your music. It's a beautiful gift and has made my life, for one, that much richer.
Best,
Chris
energy

Post by energy »

I second everyone here, "Steam" is a tremendous CD. Wanted add, though, that if you ever get the chance to see Williams in concert, don't, don't pass it up. You won't be sorry(disclaimer stuff here). I saw him at the Chicago Celtic fest in duet with guitarist Dean Macgraw...they lit the tent on fire. I was stunned. It was incomprehensible music. The depth in it was incredible. Easily the best performance that I saw at the celtic fest there. So remeber, if you get the chance to see Mr. Williams, Don't Miss It!
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
"I'm the goodest sheep rider there is. Except Jesus." - Koby Blunt, multiple time rodeo champion, age 6
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

You are all so lucky to have so much talent in the Chicago area. Why can't the bay area get that lucky, Irish trad-wise?
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I've had this CD for a couple of months and it's rarely been far from my CD player. When I first heard it I thought it would be my favourite Irish CD for this year but there's been some stiff competition recently. I think it's currently my favourite box CD although Niall Vallely's 'Beyond Words' is very hard to beat. I especially like the way John uses both concertina and accordeon to enhance the music in just the right ways. It's interesting; I'd been thinking of starting a thread on just this topic mentioning Niall's terrific effort as well. Done.

I know what you mean, Loren, about reviews not being taken very seriously; response to a couple of my efforts seemed a bit underwhealming. I'm not sure, though, that we can judge by lack of explicit feedback. If I hadn't already acquired this CD I'd have taken note and gone out and bought it but I'd not have been in any position to post a reaction while the thread was alive. Maybe others are influenced but don't see the need to repeat the nice things already said. Maybe, maybe not.
TomB

Post by TomB »

Loren: As a "relative newcomer" to this type of music, I will say that I definitely appreciate your reviews of cd's. I, for one, hope you keep them up.
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-Please continue to put up CD reviews, as a fine recording may otherwise escape notice or suffer underexposure to many who might purchase and love it.
Reviews are a first step, listening to samples/judging piece selection a second, and listening to one's new CD the third. A lot of superb music escapes steps #2 and #3 if step#1 is missing.
WhistlingGypsy

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

I also find the CD reviews great.

I have recently bought 2 CD's based on reviews from C&F and am in the process of placing my order for 6 CD's ('Steam' will now be one of these ~ and I had not heard of it before) with Green Linnet as a result of another thread.

Although I may not always reply, I do appreciate the reviews and certainly would like to see them continue.

Thanks again guys.........

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WhistlingGypsy on 2002-11-11 13:38 ]</font>