Dear Abby...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

jim stone wrote:Religious views can become a kind of idolatry.
God is love.
What he said.

What I hear is that you're using a religious (or quasi-religious) belief to tell the world how special you are and to try to get the people around you to do things they don't understand to accomodate your specialness. I see nothing in your performance here that indicates compassion for the other people involved, humility, patience, self sacrifice, etc. It seems to be all about you.

If the idea of not celebrating birthdays is to avoid creating a culture of vanity, you've got it completely backwards.

If they want to give you birthday presents, that's very nice. If you don't want to celebrate your birthday, then thank them nicely, keep the presents or pass them along to someone else if they're not something you can use, and stop making a fuss. In making the fuss, you're violating the spirit of the rule. You're telling the world that you don't want to make a big deal of birthdays, but you're making a big deal of birthdays.

The rule is not for them, it's for you. It's to help you live without vanity, not to give you something to use to make other people do (or not do) what you want them to do.

As to religious beliefs, I question whether this is really a belief that's necessary to your religion. If your religion calls for humility, you can honor that call by not making a fuss about yourself. However, by announcing to the world that this is a RELIGIOUS belief, and one that you want them to change their behavior to accomodate, it looks like you're using the pretext of religion as a lever to try to control the people around you. Do you suppose this pleases God?

Best wishes,
Jerry
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

What Jerry said.

It is so hard not to think one is special, more important than others,
and one's religiousity can make the problem worse. I say
this personally.

I'm an atheist. I've published articles arguing for atheism.
Sometimes people tell me they pray for me.
I thank them from the bottom of my heart.
When people express love for me I really don't
care about the mode or the theology. There
isn't that much love in the world, is there?
Expressions of love and affection are to be
commended, yes? To hell with dotting the 'i's
and crossing the 't's.
Has your life been so full of love that you
can turn it away? When people
express love for me, I become very
unfussy.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

gee folks:

if you look at your answers from a different viewpoint, you might get a glimpse at why cranberry and i don't like to celebrate our birthdays. folks seem to be on our cases for not wanting to celebrate our birthdays. folks here have so many differences that we've all managed to accept more or less. i'm going to avoid making the list of differences here. why can't folks just accept this difference?

if you're up to trying to walk in our shoes, then on your next birthday, try to not celebrate, try to give your family and friends a head's up that you're not celebrating, try to get your co-workers to not buy a hideous cake in the flavor that is not your choice. cranberry may ask you to go further but i'm fine if you still buy yourself a present. a present is a present.

and if cranberry wants to pitch a fit on her birthday, it's her birthday and just like our families let us have our favorite meal and activity on our birthdays, maybe cranberry should be given her choice to pitch a fit. i don't know cranberry so i don't know how she tells people "no." so i'm willing to assume that she's not being hateful to the people who love her.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I don't celebrate my birthday.

I really don't want anyone to make a fuss, and I accomplish that by not making any fuss myself. I don't mention to anyone that my birthday's coming or on that day, that it's my birthday. Some of the children remember, some of them don't. Arleen almost always forgets, which is completely OK with me.

If anyone shows up and wishes me happy birthday, I'm pleased. I've never told anyone not to make a fuss over my birthday. However, no one does. They don't make a fuss over my birthday because I don't make a fuss myself.

Best wishes,
Jerry
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

Hi
jim stone wrote:When people express love for me, I become very unfussy.
The best thing that's been said so far in this thread.

I am agnostic, bordering on atheist, but I will gladly accept any gift that comes from the heart whether it's on a religious holiday (of any religion), my birthday or just because. The only kind of gift I would turn down is a bribe, but then I'm not in a position where there would be any point in bribing me.

Regards,

Owen Morgan
Yacht Magic
Anchored in the lagoon, St Maarten

My new blog.
Click here for my latest reported position. (Use the satellite view.)
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I have a brother who is a Jehovah's Witness.

Years ago, he explained to the family that he doesn't observe his birthday or Christmas as a holiday, and that he doesn't want anyone else to either.

So we all ignore his birthday. (Actually, I don't, and I usually play him "Happy Birthday" and a few cheerful tunes on flute or whistle that day, but he lives in a different city and doesn't know that: it doesn't hurt him and it makes me feel better.)

We all still celebrate Christmas; some as a religious holiday, some as a secular one. After all, it's not like its his holiday; he doesn't own it, and he doesn't have to participate or watch. We don't send him presents, because he's asked us not to--and that's the reasonable boundary of what he can ask on that particular subject.

I think the point that has been raised is valid: when you tell your friends not to send you anything on your birthday and that it's because of the views of your religion, please be aware that one thing you are telling them is that the particulars of your religion are of more value to you than they are.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
djm

Post by djm »

It's extremely difficult to cut a tragic figure if everybody around you is being nice to you and wishing you well. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Denny

Post by Denny »

ah, you underestimate Cran....
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

not only that but someone pointed out to me in a private message that cran was a guy. what can i say. that cat avatar threw me off.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Denny

Post by Denny »

mutepointe wrote:cran was a guy
ahem...still is.

so...does that mean that you really are a stuffed bear?

How many dolls and puppets does this forum have?

I need an image makeover...
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

jim stone wrote:I figure it's simple--your friends in this situation matter
more than you do. Giving you the gifts/cards
makes them happy. So accept the cards/gifts
and thank them.

e.g. vegetarianism. If I'm a Buddhist vegetarian
and I go to grandma's for dinner and she serves
turkey I eat the turkey. Without comment,
except to say: 'YOu outdid yourself, grandma.'

Religious views can become a kind of idolatry.
God is love.
Well said. As for the second paragraph, if I know a Buddhist vegetarian is coming to dinner, I make sure there's something for him to eat. One great challenge is having a vegetarian and an Atkins dieter over. That's how I came up with my chili recipe -- one batch just meat, one batch just beans, and one just vegetables. Everyone's happy.

I agree that one shouldn't worry about what others are celebrating -- birthday, Christmas, whatever. I'd just as soon ignore my birthday, but my wife and parents want to do something for it. If it makes them happy, well, that's one of my goals in life, to love my loved ones.

I frequently ask people to make a charitable donation for my birthday or Christmas. Last year my mother donated to Heifer International. I was very happy, as was she.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Jerry Freeman wrote:... The rule is not for them, it's for you. It's to help you live without vanity...
Very good point.

It's very difficult to find ways to mesh one's beliefs with others, and when your beliefs are far outside the norm (or maybe the 'norm' is far outside you beliefs). Finding the grace to accept that folks are well meaning when they ignore your specific requests is part of the growing process, i suppose.

I do still maintain that if people *genuinely* are interested in giving you what you want and need, they will not persist in trying to force you to fit their norms, but i do see the value of at least not getting all bent out of shape when they are deep in their cultural rut and cannot think that way. Accepting their wishes/gifts graciously and then redistributing them seems a very good way to deal with it, since bruising your forehead on the brick wall of 'normalcy' does nothing to weaken the wall... and ... oh, it hurts to say this... (gulp)... some normalcy is good. (cough, hack, spit... deep breath)

So.. Cranberry, no matter what day of any year it is, I'm glad you're here, and that you trust folks here enough to bring your difficult questions and thoughts into the mix.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

My birthday is June 12. I have no reservations about accepting presents.

Thought you'd all want to know. :D

T
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
rh

Post by rh »

so cran can send any presents he gets to wyobadger.
there.
problem solved.

okay, who's got the next religious dilemma?

-------
mufti rh
there is no end to the walking
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

rh wrote: ...okay, who's got the next religious dilemma?

-------
mufti rh
See the newly reopened Rubber Room . :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com