a consideration

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
sweetone
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by sweetone »

Why do tunes you hear and don't know yourself yet always sound more interesting and prettier than the ones you know and play?
:roll:
Listen, play and have fun!
madguy

Post by madguy »

Sure, ruin my Sunday by causing me to ponder an unanswerable question!!! :grin:

~Larry
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

I don't know why it is, but it seems to be the norm.
ScottStewart

Post by ScottStewart »

Why do they call it a "pair of pants" when there's only one article? And why do we drive on a parkway and park in a driveway? And who are "they"?

In answer to your question, I think it's similar to the WhOA phenomenon, always wanting that which is not owned yet, or conquered yet. Of course, the opposite would be so much simpler - buy one whistle, learn one song and be done with it.
Image Scott

"Peace is not defined by the absence of war."
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

When you learn a tune you become familiar with it, obviously. I used to be interested in the theories of Daniel Berlyne, a psychologist interested in experimental aesthetics. Some of his theory and research had to do with familiarity, novelty and arousal. Here's a web page which summarizes some of the main ideas in a simple way.

http://classes.yale.edu/fractals/Panora ... rlyne.html

Steve
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

because if you've played a song 6 billion 1/2 times you get kind of sick of it...
Kendahl

Post by Kendahl »

Familiarity breeds contempt.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

On 2002-11-10 09:36, Kendahl wrote:
Familiarity breeds contempt.
Really? Always? If you have been married for a long time are you contemptuous of your wife. Are you contemptuous of your old and familiar friends. The original question took for granted that familiar tunes become less interesting and was looking for an explanation.

Steve
sweetone

Post by sweetone »

On 2002-11-10 08:20, SteveK wrote:
When you learn a tune you become familiar with it, obviously. I used to be interested in the theories of Daniel Berlyne, a psychologist interested in experimental aesthetics. Some of his theory and research had to do with familiarity, novelty and arousal. Here's a web page which summarizes some of the main ideas in a simple way.

http://classes.yale.edu/fractals/Panora ... rlyne.html

Steve

This is a quite interesting approach and information.
Cheers Steve
Listen, play and have fun!
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

On 2002-11-10 07:27, ScottStewart wrote:
Why do they call it a "pair of pants" when there's only one article? And why do we drive on a parkway and park in a driveway? And who are "they"?
And why do they call it an "apartment" when people live jammed together in the same building?

John
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

They don't necessarily sound better,
and when they do, I suppose it's
because they are. How's that for
hard headed? I mean, there are a lot
more tunes than the ones I know,
and some of them are bound to
be prettier. But much of what
I hear and don't know leaves
me cold. Best,
serpent

Post by serpent »

Tunes that you like, that strike some chord within you, that you want to "own", are in some ways an unattainable ideal. You will never precisely reproduce the original feeling you had, when first you fell in love with them, but you are human, and you will try, because it was such a good feeling.

And in that striving, who knows -- you may produce something that will give that same feeling to another.

You may also produce absolute crap. I know how that works, ooooh, so well! :grin:
Cheers,
Bill Whedon
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

On 2002-11-10 06:07, sweetone wrote:
Why do tunes you hear and don't know yourself yet always sound more interesting and prettier than the ones you know and play?
:roll:
Because the ones you hear are on CDs or at concerts given by professional musicians who are very good at what they do even without the advantages of amplification, effects, mixing and editing.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I agree that professional playing w/ sound engineering adds a lot to the feel of a tune. And when you first learn it, it's not that smooth. After I learn a new tune and beat it into the ground practicing it, I might lay off awhile and come back to it. When I really know it and can focus more on expressing the feel of the tune rather than the mechanics of getting it correct, it regains a lot of its glamour. If I'm in a particular mood and that tune fits it, and I use the tune to express the mood, then it really sounds nice to me.

Also, coming back to the recording that originally inspired you after you learn it is very interesting. You pick up little details and nuances you didn't notice before. It speaks to you in a different way.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Sandy Jasper

Post by Sandy Jasper »

I think not knowing where a song is going is a magic that a new song can offer over an old.

Old songs, smells, textures and sounds can bring us back in time. That is why music is so powerful to the elderly, it transports them.

New music is full of new visualizations and mystery like an untravelled path.

There is something wonderful in the unknown as there is magic in revisiting the familiar.