Tuning forks

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
celtic_lass
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Tuning forks

Post by celtic_lass »

Does anyone here use tuning forks? What type do you like using? I mostly tune with an electric tuner, but I want to increase my ability to tune with my ears instead of my eyes. I also have a pitch pipe, but the D doesn't work anymore. :P Also, how exactly do you use them? Thanks.
Sara
Jesus is the bridge beneath my strings, and the breath that blows my whistle.
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Hi again Sara, (I don't know why I'm so often the first to reply to you. I'm not stalking you, really. LOL!)

I'm sure there are lots of people still using tuning forks. I believe elderly and musiciansfriend sell them indiviually and in full chromatic sets.

The electronic tuner has all but entirely surplanted them, as you know. When I was your age students were issued a tuning fork to listen to constantly as ear training. You would hit the fork on the heel of your hand and placed it against your temple to hear it. The idea was to memorize the sound of middle C. It worked very well if you practiced as you were told.

Don't worry that your pitch pipe has failed. They all do. Indeed, long before they fail they often go out of tune themselves. Pitch pipes were never all that reliable. But they are cheap and easy to use. They belong to a by-gone era.

To use a tuning fork, hold it by the stem and tap one tyne (the long fork part) firmly against the heel of your hand or other firm surface (never anything hard), and place the ball end against the soundboard firmly, near the bridge. The violin will amplify the sound. Listen carefuly to the pitch and get it solidly in your mind, then sound the string (usually A). Once you have the A tuned to the fork, you have to work with the intervals to tune the other strings. You can buy four tuning forks, one for each string if you like.

Tuning forks are very precise instruments and need to be carefully handled and used. Wipe it with a soft tissue only and store it in its little protective pouch. It takes considerable practice, but it's a method as old as the hills and it works.
Last edited by Tim2723 on Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
fancypiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I use a D (and C) tuning fork or an electronic pitch pipe to tune my pipes. I strike the fork against the side of my thigh, then press the handle of the fork against the little flap at my ear hole and tune the drones to no beats against the fork.

For a stringed instrument (except for banjo and fiddle), I would strike the fork and place it on the sound board, then tune the D string to no beats, then tune the other strings to harmonize with the D string.

Strings pluck sharp and ring flat, so fiddle would best be tuned with the bow and the banjo would best be tuned to another instrument in tune.
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Hmmm. I hadn't considered the pluck sharp/ring flat rule for banjo. That's good advice. I never had any luck with a tuning fork on banjo, but I always attributed it to the odd harmonics produced by the drum head. Very interesting, thanks for that.

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
fancypiper

Post by fancypiper »

You're welcome.

Our tenor banjo player uses an electronic tuner, but he offsets the tuner so that the banjo is in tune on the pluck, rather than the ring.

Another tip, woodwinds (whistles, flutes and pipes) go flat with a decrease in temperature while strings go sharp, even though each instrument may be in tune with itsself.
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Do you know how much offset he uses? I can calibrate my tuner to any setting. That would be a big help.

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
fancypiper

Post by fancypiper »

No, I don't know.

You could tune the banjo to another instrument that is in tune (when I was playing with Naomi's Fancy, everybody tuned to my D drones), then see what the tuner reads, then offset it.
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Oh yeah. (Things that make you slap your head and go 'Duh'.)

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info