I know I'm beating a dead horse here...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
bigwig
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I know I'm beating a dead horse here...

Post by bigwig »

...but at least I'll be doing it with a better whistle.

I've been playing for a while and have gone through an extraordinary amount of cheap whistles. I think I've lost, broken, or melted a dozen whistles. I'm left with a nickel Generation that seems to be indestructable. I know because the whistle is horribly out of tune, even with itself, and I've tried to break it. Too bad it's so easy on breath that I almost have to use it for fast stuff. I also have a Dixon Low D pvc whistle.

I'm to the point where I want a better whistle. I know that everyone will say that it's a matter of personal preference but I don't live anywhere near anyplace to actually test any whistles. I hope I can just tell a bit about what I like and someone can suggest a whistle.

This is kind of what I'm thinking:
--My favorite whistle is probably an original Clarke but lots of faster music and even some slower stuff doesn't sound good or is harder because of all the breaths I have to take. I love the breath requirements of my Generation. Maybe something that's sweeter than the Generation but takes less breath than the Clarke.

--I want to spend about $150 US. I know that people like Copelands but I'd have to sell a kid or two to buy one.

--I don't want to spend this much money on a plastic whistle. It's a hang-up I have. I own (or did own) many plastic whistles and I like them, it's just that I want metal for my first expensive whistle.

--It has to be fairly durable.

--It has to be an all-around whistle that is good for both airs and fast stuff.

--I guess I don't care if it's tunable as long as it is very in tune with itself and reasonalby in tune with other instruments so it doesn't hurt my ears when I play along with a song on a CD to try and learn it.

--the Burke seems to be an easy answer. http://www.burkewhistles.com/product.ph ... t=0&page=1
That song that plays automatically on this page is just one of the coolest that I've ever heard. There are so many different kinds of Burkes, though. Anyone think the whistle linked here would be the best for me?

--The Overton also seems good.http://www.thewhistleshop.com/catalog/w ... pranod.htm
However, I've read that these whistles can really vary whistle to whistle (not in quality but in sound and breath requirement) which makes me more nervous to buy one. The curve on the mouth of this whistle just seems like it would be comfortable and the whistle seems really durable.

There could be many others around this quality and price range. I just don't know and really only have one shot at this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
arnie
antispam: No

Post by arnie »

Here's what I have to say about whistles that I know. I was lucky to try out 40 different whistles at Colin Goldie's place.
Overton is a whistle you can buy easily; only thing is you should buy it from the maker Colin Goldie. I don't know about Bernard Overton whether he makes them still, or makes them the way you ask, but Colin does. Phone him or email him and ask him what you want in a whistle. He will make it for you. Thing about the Overton is: it has the most characteristic sound I know, and I love it. (listen to Brian Finnigan, whistler in Flook, he plays Overton)
Also look at the website of Ian Turnbull, South African whistlemaker. He makes the Impempe. I have 4 of his whistles. Quite cheap ($40,-) and known for the fact that it's not loud when you play inside, but it has such a focused sound that it can be heard from a far distance. So it's soft and loud at the same time you might say.
Succes with your quest for the right whistle!
pipersgrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

http://burkewhistles.com/product.php?pr ... 254&page=1 i was going to recommend Burke before i read you wanted one. the narrow bore is great for breath and sweetness. good luck in finding one. i would recommend Humphrey, but hi heads are acetal. http://webpages.charter.net/raindog1970/ there is also the Kerry Songbird.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Tucson Whistler

Post by Tucson Whistler »

You can get a really good C or D Thornton whistle for under $100 or a C/D set for $115. They look and sound great. Good luck with your search.

http://www.thorntonwhistles.info/index.html
Last edited by Tucson Whistler on Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
riverman

Post by riverman »

I have to put in a word for Burkes. They are notoriously in tune, and very forgivable--very easy to play. I have two, and they are my best. The brass ones have a more complex sound, the aluminum a brighter, purer sound. You can't go wrong with 'em.
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
slowair

Post by slowair »

It's about $15 more than your limit, but I would highly recommend the Hudson Winds by Peter Bonsteel.

Here is my previous review: http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ght=hudson

Good luck with your search.

Mike
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Get a Sindt. It's worth the wait. It's a little more focused than a Gen, has a bit more back pressure and requires a tad less air. $95 USD with a 6 month wait last I checked.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I own a Brass Burke, DBSBT, and love it. I also am in possession of a Hudson. I love it as well... so much so that I'm going to have to figure out how I'm going to pay for it, since Judy is either going to want it or the purchase price back, and I don't want to part with it. :lol:

My all time favorite is my Water Weasel, but you will play heck finding one. The Burke and the Hudson are readily available, and comparable in price. The sound is different, the look, weight and feel are different, but they are equally easy to get used to and I highly recommend both.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Right now my favorite whistles in no particular order: Colin Goldie Overton, Burke, O'Brien, Hoover, Syn.

I think you would enjoy any of these very much.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Lyn D

Post by Lyn D »

I'm also in favor of the Burkes. I have the DBSBT and I love it. The low notes are solid and the high notes are sweet, not shrill. The transition from first to second octave is smooth, and the volume is great, not too laud and not too soft. Check out Doc Jones web site: www.irishflutestore.com He has new and pre-owned whistles and flutes. Good luck.

Lyn
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I'm a bit of a dissenter here, as I've not cared for the Overtons I've tried. Maybe I just had the bad luck to try bad ones, but the ones I've played had harsh high notes and quickly filled with "moisture".
I'm a very recent convert to high-end whistles. I've played whistle, flute, and uilleann pipes for 30 years, and was faithful to my beloved Generations to the point where I actually made Generations in extra keys:
C#, B natural, and low A. My go-to high D whistle has always been a wonderful Feadog (somewhat modified) that is the sweetest whistle I've ever played. But a couple months ago I played a Burke narrow-bore high D aluminum, and I was hooked. It played exactly like a Generation, except better in every possible way. Sweet, easy high notes, full low notes, perfect intonation, and extremely even voicing. I now have Burkes in low D, G, A, C, and high D (session bore). They are all fantastic. The low D Burke ("pro viper") is quite nimble enough for anything- I played reels at breakneck speed for nearly two hours at a session last week on it. But it is very expressive for airs.
In my quest for the best possible low D whistle I recently tried about a dozen different makes, and the Burke Pro Viper was clearly superior to all, except in the matter of ergonomics (it has a very big bore and for some reason my hands tire holding something that large).
My Burkes are all aluminum, but many people say that the brass Burkes are sweeter. So, if I were you I would certainly try a brass Burke narrow bore high D.
bigwig

Post by bigwig »

pancelticpiper wrote:I'm a bit of a dissenter here, as I've not cared for the Overtons I've tried. Maybe I just had the bad luck to try bad ones, but the ones I've played had harsh high notes and quickly filled with "moisture".
I'm a very recent convert to high-end whistles. I've played whistle, flute, and uilleann pipes for 30 years, and was faithful to my beloved Generations to the point where I actually made Generations in extra keys:
C#, B natural, and low A. My go-to high D whistle has always been a wonderful Feadog (somewhat modified) that is the sweetest whistle I've ever played. But a couple months ago I played a Burke narrow-bore high D aluminum, and I was hooked. It played exactly like a Generation, except better in every possible way. Sweet, easy high notes, full low notes, perfect intonation, and extremely even voicing. I now have Burkes in low D, G, A, C, and high D (session bore). They are all fantastic. The low D Burke ("pro viper") is quite nimble enough for anything- I played reels at breakneck speed for nearly two hours at a session last week on it. But it is very expressive for airs.
In my quest for the best possible low D whistle I recently tried about a dozen different makes, and the Burke Pro Viper was clearly superior to all, except in the matter of ergonomics (it has a very big bore and for some reason my hands tire holding something that large).
My Burkes are all aluminum, but many people say that the brass Burkes are sweeter. So, if I were you I would certainly try a brass Burke narrow bore high D.
So, you would for sure recommend the narrow bore over the session bore? What's the difference in playing and sound between the two?
Mr.Nate
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

ok i need some help

Post by Mr.Nate »

Here's my advice,

Don't waist 170 on a Burke narrow bore or a session...just forget it. (Sorry all you Burke fans!)

Put your order in for a Sindt and waite 6 months. It's a nice trad whistle with a good amount of chiff. It is easy to play in the second octave like a narrow bore burke but with more charactor. The down side is the C nat is out of tune.

But in the mean time you can get a Hoover white or Black for 30-50 dollars. It's a great whistle.

Order a Humphry narrow or regular bore. (sorry, his site is under construction right now!) and get it in a couple of weeks for under 100)

Or Get a Reyburn session or narrow bore for 110?

Ok, well go ahead and get a burke...they are easy to play and are in tune.

Cheers!

Nate
Whistling in the Rockies!!
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

bigwig wrote:
pancelticpiper wrote:I'm a bit of a dissenter here, as I've not cared for the Overtons I've tried. Maybe I just had the bad luck to try bad ones, but the ones I've played had harsh high notes and quickly filled with "moisture".
So, you would for sure recommend the narrow bore over the session bore? What's the difference in playing and sound between the two?
yes, i recommend that too. the tone is sweeter, and it is easier breath quantity.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan