Paul McCartney is dead (the theory)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

Cynth wrote:I have never heard that theory before. When I saw the title of this thread I actually gasped and my heart started beating hard. I guess, having been a Beatle-maniac, I've just got some remains of those feelings yet inside without me even knowing it. The same sort of title is used here for people who really have died as well. Maybe most people are so much younger seeing that title wouldn't affect them the same way. I guess I'm just feeling sort of cranky tonight, sorry.
Me too.
(but Ringo was always my fav)
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Jack

Post by Jack »

Similar to the Paul McCartney rumors, during the last 20 years of her life, there were rumors that Mary Baker Eddy had died and somebody was impostering her.

Now that she has been dead for nearly a hundred years, though, there are those in her movement who believe she is still alive. I've always found that extremely interesting.
brianc

Post by brianc »

Walden wrote:
Charlene wrote: I think it's "I BERRIED, Paul" - meaning he went out and picked berries.
Naw... it was "I married Rupaul." It was the sixties. Times were different. The public wasn't willing to understand. Inter-racial marriage wasn't even LEGAL in this part of the country for most of the 1960's!
Yeah, and Rupaul was, what - ... 8 years old?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Please don't title threads this way.
Jack

Post by Jack »

brianc wrote:
Walden wrote:
Charlene wrote: I think it's "I BERRIED, Paul" - meaning he went out and picked berries.
Naw... it was "I married Rupaul." It was the sixties. Times were different. The public wasn't willing to understand. Inter-racial marriage wasn't even LEGAL in this part of the country for most of the 1960's!
She was born on 11-17-1960: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RuPaul
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

jim stone wrote:Please don't title threads this way.
Thank you. I guess I sort of danced around it, but that is exactly what I meant. Please don't title threads this way.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
brianc

Post by brianc »

Cranberry wrote:
brianc wrote:
Walden wrote: Naw... it was "I married Rupaul." It was the sixties. Times were different. The public wasn't willing to understand. Inter-racial marriage wasn't even LEGAL in this part of the country for most of the 1960's!
She was born on 11-17-1960: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RuPaul
Oh, my mistake.

So Rupaul was not yet 6 when this was theorized.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Cynth wrote:
Thank you. I guess I sort of danced around it, but that is exactly what I meant. Please don't title threads this way.
I recognize that somebody in good taste wouldn't title a thread "Queen Elizabeth is dead" or "Kofi Annan is dead" but Paul McCartney's case is different because of the nature of the old but persistant theory revolving around whether or not he is actually alive or dead. That's the whole point of titling a thread "Paul McCartney is dead--" it goes to the feeling in the heart of the theory being discussed.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Cynth wrote:
I'll admit to approaching the thread with trepidation as well.
So, what they said.
Jack

Post by Jack »

emmline wrote:
Cynth wrote:
I'll admit to approaching the thread with trepidation as well.
So, what they said.
You're generally reasonable so I ask if you can't also see why it's titled the way it is, in this specific case?
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I understand your question was not directed to me, but yes, I can see why you titled the thread the way you did. We were supposed to feel the way people felt when they heard this rumor going around. So some people believed it and felt upset.

Most likely those who were upset will recover---it's not as though someone called to tell me my mother had died. But the importance of the topic does not, in my opinion, warrant giving people a scare or causing them even a moment's distress. You cannot know what relationship people have with the person you have said has died. I myself had never heard of that theory and I really thought Paul McCartney had died.

So what have I gained by that? Not really a deeper understanding of why conspiracy theories like this one exist, unless it's because people keep pulling them out and pranking others with them. I do not know what makes people want to play pranks like that---I guess you would be the one who would have a better shot at answering that question.

I don't think a thread should be titled with someone's death unless that person has really died. The reason is that it is unkind to cause people to be upset for no good reason.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

For the record, the line that sounds like "I buried Pau-I buried Pau-" is actually John saying "cranberry sauce." This is verifiably true.

And don't title threads like that.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

George and John are dead. Paul is of an age where
sudden death could happen (who isn't?)
So the immediate response to the
threads title is to scare hell out of lots of people
to whom Paul means a good
deal personally.

If it's tacky to write 'Queen E is dead,'
because people will believe it,
it's tacky to write 'PM is dead,'
for the same reason.

The joke is over 35 years old. Nobody
is thinking about it.

Quite honestly, reading this was a bummer.
Several people are telling you.
Will you hear it?

Please change the title. You can add the word 'joke.'
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

You could even title it "Paul is dead," since that's what most people call the conspiracy, and it wouldn't evoke the visceral reaction a lot of people are having over this. Just a thought.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
brianc

Post by brianc »

Congratulations wrote:You could even title it "Paul is dead," since that's what most people call the conspiracy, and it wouldn't evoke the visceral reaction a lot of people are having over this. Just a thought.

28IF

:o