Is there a way to get the paint of a Clark?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
CountryKitty
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Is there a way to get the paint of a Clark?

Post by CountryKitty »

I know I've seen this posted in the last few months, but to save my soul I haven't been able to find it using the search feature.

I managed to get a ding in my Clark D (probably not a good idea to carry it in a backpack overloaded with nursing texts, huh?), and a chip of the black paint or enamel came off. Is there a simple way to get the rest off without damaging the whistle or scuffing up the metal underneath?
cavefish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

dont mess with it it is only 11.00 dollars for a new one ------------it is baked on enamel and anything strong enough to penetrate the paint with soak in the wood -----also it is a real pain in the butt to try to get the paint out of the inside---------------believe me i tried ---------i painted a non-painted one and tried to reverse it-------------not worth it
lordofthestrings

Post by lordofthestrings »

I used a razor blade to scrape the paint followed by micor mesh and steele wool to remove the ugly green paint from a sweetone and then a clarke. Takes a little elbow grease (can be found next to the headlight fluid at a hardware store :lol: ), but works pretty well.
- - - Spence - - -
A little autobiography, including pictures, Here
Actually, I hate music. I'm only doing this for the money.
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

I think a little scratch and chip adds character. When the paint wears off around the holes you'll have an instument that says "Now here's a whistle player!"
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Tim2723 wrote:I think a little scratch and chip adds character. When the paint wears off around the holes you'll have an instument that says "Now here's a whistle player!"
Ditto that.

You ca also buy them unpainted...at least you used to be able to.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
riverman

Post by riverman »

Tell 'em it's an original Clarke from 1836 and sell it for $100 as a collector's item!

(I didn't really mean that....)

(I'm an honest person...REALLY!!)
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
Denis

Post by Denis »

If it really bothers you, you could try a black permanent marker to camouflage the spot. You can apply more than one coat and easily control where you place the colour. If in the end you are not happy with it, you can remove it with an alcohol and not disturb the black enamel.
lordofthestrings

Post by lordofthestrings »

Take a look here
- - - Spence - - -
A little autobiography, including pictures, Here
Actually, I hate music. I'm only doing this for the money.
breqwas

Post by breqwas »

I think a little scratch and chip adds character. When the paint wears off around the holes you'll have an instument that says "Now here's a whistle player!"
Oh, now I see why the paint on Gens is <i>that</i> bad - they just help whistlers look cool :))

BTW, that paint on sweetones doesn't go off at all - I play my gen less then my sweetone, but gen looks like a tiger, while sweetone is like new.[/quote]
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I'd have thought leaving it to soak for a few hours in paint-stripper should do the job - then scrub it down - do the inside with a bottle brush. Neutralise the stripping fluid with water or white spirit/thinners as per instructions and you should be fine. I doubt it will seriously upset the fipple block - or your lips - so long as you flush it thoroughly. If it is the type that needs spirit flushing, you'll need to flush that with washing-up liquid and hot water - and it'll still smell/taste of white spirit for a while, so try to get the water-flushable kind.

Then throw it away and buy a whistle.

EDIT: first paragraph serious; second paragraph :D serious.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
riverman

Post by riverman »

Actually, I have found that the painted Clarke original is the most photogenic of all whistles when one is photographed playing. And of course, the offensive gold diamonds are not visible in such a picture. Trust me in this.
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

If it really bothers you that mush i will take it off your hands :D