looking for the perfect flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

Even if one confines their choices to reputable models and makers, it's still very much a hit and miss affair, particularly for someone at the early stages of learning. One's notion of perfection varys with time. So I recommend buying a good quality keyless. It doesn't have to be the loudest (in fact "loud" might be difficult to play). Validate it's playing characteristics with an experienced player/teacher, preferably before finalizing the purchase. Give it a serious go. I do mean serious. Then upgrade, as needed.
Flutered
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: looking for the perfect flute

Post by Flutered »

[quote="The Whistle Collector"]... i am looking for a flute, for the future (not any time soon), that is very bright, easy to play, loud, and speedy. you know a good flute for playing fast reels in the pub without being drowned out, and with good character.

and also a flute for slow airs. an easy player, a nice strong tone, and a bunch of personality....quote]
Sure this is not a bit of a wind up, folks?! It's not a flute, WC is looking for to buy but rather years of experience and practice!! The characteristics WC is looking for surely are more to do with the player.
Denny

Post by Denny »

shhh...we's jes' funnin' with 'em
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Strange, I always imagined the perfect flute being some unknown maker found in an antique store, covered in dust, waiting to be discovered. Looking at the wear on the tone holes and the discoloration near the embouchure, I would be able to tell that it was once cherished and often played. After re-threading the tenons I would blow the first note and it seems that the flute’s long waiting period for a player is over, and the flute sings a song of rejoice.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

I.D.10-t wrote:Strange, I always imagined the perfect flute being some unknown maker found in an antique store, covered in dust, waiting to be discovered. Looking at the wear on the tone holes and the discoloration near the embouchure, I would be able to tell that it was once cherished and often played. After re-threading the tenons I would blow the first note and it seems that the flute’s long waiting period for a player is over, and the flute sings a song of rejoice.
Things rarely work how we imagine them... :wink:

And yet, one thing which is deeply satisfying about playing an actual antique flute which you don't get from playing even the finest new flute is the wonderful knowledge that you stand at the fulcrum and bridge two times, bringing a sound from the old world into the new.

In my own (admittedly peculiar) imagination, I can hear the echo of sound reflected back from the time in which that flute first played, and I become the mechanism by which the circle closes and the promise which was a flute hanging on a wall for generations becomes the reality of music in our time played with a voice from another time.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
phcook
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by phcook »

Why should the circle close?
Breizh soner
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

phcook wrote:Why should the circle close?
Well, coz then it wouldn't be a circle, would it? :lol:

Actually, I have just gotten one of these, sort of. It isn't one that sat on the shelf in an antique store for years, but is one of Jon C's ebay finds: http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=45532
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

peeplj wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote:Strange, I always imagined the perfect flute being some unknown maker found in an antique store, covered in dust, waiting to be discovered. Looking at the wear on the tone holes and the discoloration near the embouchure, I would be able to tell that it was once cherished and often played. After re-threading the tenons I would blow the first note and it seems that the flute’s long waiting period for a player is over, and the flute sings a song of rejoice.
Things rarely work how we imagine them... :wink:

And yet, one thing which is deeply satisfying about playing an actual antique flute which you don't get from playing even the finest new flute is the wonderful knowledge that you stand at the fulcrum and bridge two times, bringing a sound from the old world into the new.

In my own (admittedly peculiar) imagination, I can hear the echo of sound reflected back from the time in which that flute first played, and I become the mechanism by which the circle closes and the promise which was a flute hanging on a wall for generations becomes the reality of music in our time played with a voice from another time.

--James
Yeah, you can almost imagine the flute whispering 'Thank you!'
That goes for every instrument that should have been
played but wasn't, and now is. I sometimes think some
musical instruments have souls.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I often wonder if my second-hand flutes thank me or if they secretly curse me.

There's an antique wooden flute for sale at an antique store down town. It has keys and an ivory embouchure. Is it silently longing for someone to breathe new life into it? Or is there an elephant in heaven hoping its tusks will be whole again?
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Both, I'm afraid.
Supramundane reality is no
bowl of cherries.
Cork

Post by Cork »

Your second hand flute secretly thanks you, BTW, for any flute is lonely at not being appreciated by a player. Can you imagine not being appreciated?

In regard to that antique flute, and now that you have seen it, you might as well admit your interest, and if is available at a reasonable price, then take it home. You can always later pass it on to another, interested home.
sbfluter wrote:I often wonder if my second-hand flutes thank me or if they secretly curse me.

There's an antique wooden flute for sale at an antique store down town. It has keys and an ivory embouchure. Is it silently longing for someone to breathe new life into it? Or is there an elephant in heaven hoping its tusks will be whole again?