The difference between men and women

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

You can't discuss the difference between women and men without defining "women" and "men." It's like discussing the difference between bohm flutes and Irish flutes without in the process defining what they are.
pipersgrip
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

if i remember correctly in high school anatomy....... well i guess it speaks for itself.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

hey cranberry. since no one else has bothered to define "man" and "woman" and the issue seems so important to you, why don't you give it a go? don't forget to mention the ambiguous folks. i'll pop some poprcorn while we're waiting.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Jack

Post by Jack »

Good old wikipedia to the rescue!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender
Wikipedia wrote:"Gender", in common usage, refers to the differences between men and women. Encyclopaedia Britannica notes that gender identity is "an individual's self-conception as being male or female, as distinguished from actual biological sex."[1] Although "gender" is commonly used interchangeably with "sex," within the academic fields of cultural studies, gender studies and the social sciences in general, the term "gender" often refers to purely social rather than biological differences...(continued in main article). (emphasis added)
:)
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Okay, people who identify their gender as female like to chat, people who identify their gender as male want to "get going". I can say that the one biologically male person I knew who identified his gender as female did like to chat. Actually, my sister who identifies her gender as female is definitely a "get going" type. And I've had numerous friends who identified their genders as male who liked to chat. Sooooo.....FORGET IT :lol: !
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

One time, when I was a teenager, my cousin came over and wanted me to look at her kitten to see if I could tell if it was a boy or a girl. I went outside and looked it over.

When I came back in, my grandma asked what we were talking about. I said "We were trying to decide if it was a male, or if that was just a growth."

I never heard Grandma laugh for such a long time in my life as she did after I said that.
Reasonable person
Walden
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

djm wrote:....women usually tend to smell better, are softer and wetter, and are generally nicer to hold in your arms.

djm

Oooo! That made me feel all nice inside!
Cotelette d'Agneau
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

The difference between women and men, (at least in a marital sense )is :
A woman marries a man expecting to change him; and he dosent:
A man marries a woman expecting her not to change, and she does. :lol:
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Innocent Bystander wrote:
mutepointe wrote:men make messes. women clean messes.

Hmm. Have you ever seen an afterbirth? Or cleaned one up?
Ahah!

The difference between a man and a woman is that the man thinks cleaning up the afterbirth is hard, without even understanding how lucky he is that the woman who just passed it is in no condition to chase him down the hallway beating him about the head with the closest heavy object... yet.

Having passed three, and the large, elbow-and-knee-y things that precede them, I can tell you - there's a task that will separate the women from the men! :lol:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
djm

Post by djm »

Lambchop wrote:Oooo! That made me feel all nice inside!
Thx. At least I did somebody some good. :)

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Some man, being wise and funny wrote:I'm scared of that thing. I mean, how does it bleed for seven days and not die?
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I'm with ya annie- the ultimate difference- women are much tougher.

Women never get to just "quit"- sit down and say, ok, I'm retired now.
They also don't get to take to their bed when sick or ever get too tired.

Women have to keep going.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Cranberry wrote:
Some man, being wise and funny wrote:I'm scared of that thing. I mean, how does it bleed for seven days and not die?
IMHO not very wise or funny.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Jack

Post by Jack »

cowtime wrote:
Cranberry wrote:
IMHO not very wise or funny.
Strangely enough, now, I'm thinking I heard a woman--Kathy Griffin, in fact--say it. I can't remember the exact phrasing, though, so it's hard to look up on Google...
falkbeer

Re: The difference between men and women

Post by falkbeer »

fyffer wrote:Please, in one sentence only (per post), finish the sentence:

The difference between men and women is <your response here>.

I'll start.

The difference between men and women is that women put a napkin in the lunchbox.

OK, feeble, but it struck me this morning, since my wife happened to pack my lunch for me this morning, which in itself was unusual.
Here are some observations I have made:
(all measurements are relative and not absolute)

1. Women have longer index fingers than men.
2. Women have broader feet than men (men´s feet are narrower).
3. Women have longer legs than men.
4. Women tend to walk with their armes crossed sometimes. I have never seen a man walk in this way.
5. If you (a guy) walk in a straight line on the sidewalk you will slightly nuge the shoulders of (bump in to) women but never men. Men seem to have a better "radar" to steer cleer from other men.
6. If your in a western country. Men will hold up the door for both women and other men. Women will drop the door for any man right in the face even if if he is carrying something heavy.
6. Women are very good at detecting lies. From my own bitter personal experience I do not try to tell lie to women... again... never...
7. It´s not possible to tell if it´s a woman or a man playing a musical instrument if you can´t see the person. I have tried many times to guess the gender of the performer on a record, but my conclusion is that it cannot be done! there is however a difference in how men and women compose music! After years of study I can now sometimes conclude if it´s a man or a women who have written a tune or a piece of music. But the differences aren´t that obvius.