Hello! Total newb introduction.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
cadancer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cadancer »

FearNot wrote:
sbhikes wrote:... Acquire a program to slow the CDs way down...
Can anyone suggest something to do this? I've heard they exist, but never seen one or heard the results. I assume the program slows down the speed without changing the pitch?

Thanks.
I use BestPractice (Windows only). You can try it for free (creator accepts donations if you like it).

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004/bp/

You can:
1. Slow the music down and keep it in pitch.
2. change the pitch (helpful if your instrument isn't tunable
3. Loop passages (this is very cool)

Best wishes,

John
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Hiya Katie! Welcome to the madness!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
KatieBell

Post by KatieBell »

I think learning from ear or from notation is more of a matter of learning style than anything else. I am the type to need to see and hear it done (then to need to mess it up and figure it out, but I wouldn't call that style :)). Notation is only good for me to remind me of note order should I not have it internalized yet. Everything else I do from memory. Which makes YouTube such an amazing resource!

Thanks for the continuing welcomes and info! I'm soaking it all in!
To be on a quest is nothing more or less than to become an asker of questions. -Keen
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

KatieBell wrote:I think learning from ear or from notation is more of a matter of learning style than anything else. I am the type to need to see and hear it done (then to need to mess it up and figure it out, but I wouldn't call that style :)). Notation is only good for me to remind me of note order should I not have it internalized yet. Everything else I do from memory. Which makes YouTube such an amazing resource!

Thanks for the continuing welcomes and info! I'm soaking it all in!
You've got that part figured out well already. Good for you.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
sbhikes

Post by sbhikes »

You can learn from sheet music if you want, but if you've forgotten how to read it, it's not really important that you MUST learn to read it again. When you take classical music instruction learning to read music is a MUST, as is learning to play it EXACTLY AS WRITTEN. Folk music just ain't like that.

As far as slow-down programs, I just use Quick Time on my Mac. You can slow it down without shifting the pitch, or you can also shift the pitch if you want.
~Diane

My Credentials as a rank beginner on the flute
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

good luck. put at least one whistle in your car and purse. that's why cheapies are so useful. you will soon appreciate a traffic jam and the line at the drive through.

i had been a hard-shell sheet music user until the whistle when i was completely astounded that i could pick out a tune by ear. that sure never happened with the keyboard or guitar.

we're going to want to know how it goes, so weekly progress reports will be expected. i feel safe speaking for everyone saying that i (we) hope you enjoy whistles as much as i (we) do.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Tia

Post by Tia »

I use sheet music to learn all my songs, because I played classical before this, everynow and again I try by ear, but I find it difficult to learn songs that way, I like having copies and the music, because then I can learn a song very fast, I think it would be better to learn without music, maybe one day I can learn all my songs liek that
-Music is a magic beyond everything-
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

FearNot wrote:
sbhikes wrote:... Acquire a program to slow the CDs way down...
Can anyone suggest something to do this? I've heard they exist, but never seen one or heard the results. I assume the program slows down the speed without changing the pitch?

Thanks.
The Amazing Slow Downer is also a good program. You can Google it and download it.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

Katie, there is a very nice low D for a reasonable price ... the $30 Practice Low D from Jubilee Instruments. I've played one and it is fairly easy fingering and a really nice tone. A good whistle to start with on a Low D, especially when on a budget.

Not sure what part of Texas you're in (heard rumors that it is a fairly large state ;)) but if you check around you may find other whistlers in your area. It's always nice to know other people who like the same crazy instrument you do.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Welcome to the wild world of Chiff and Fipple, Katie. No advice on the low D (I've never tried one), but it's great to have you here! :)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
KatieBell

Post by KatieBell »

Thanks so much for the welcomes! I'll check out the Jubilee. Thank you, jkrazy.
To be on a quest is nothing more or less than to become an asker of questions. -Keen
walrii

Post by walrii »

Welcome to C&F, Katie. I'll add another few pennies to the pile of penny pairs you are getting. If you want a "low sounding" whistle, I'd suggest a Generation Bb. You can play tunes from any of the tutorials (the whistle will sound in the key of Bb instead of D), it is a nice whistle, it sounds considerably lower than a high D and the finger spread, while greater than high D, is still easily manageable. Happily, the cost is about the same a high D. Good luck!
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
talasiga

Re: Hello! Total newb introduction.

Post by talasiga »

KatieBell wrote:.....
I like the low whistle but am debating if I should do the pennywhistle first because of cost.
Forget about the cost.
Get a pennywhistle first.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Caution: tinwhistles are a gateway drug to uilleann pipes and woodenflutes! :o

Winamp has plugins to adjust speed/pitch, plus a musician's loop tool that will let you play a phrase over and over until it sticks.

I prefer to learn tunes by ear, but I did start with the dots until I learned how to do ornaments and to think of a tune "vertically" rather than "horizontally".
claudine
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

fancypiper wrote: I prefer to learn tunes by ear, but I did start with the dots until I learned how to do ornaments and to think of a tune "vertically" rather than "horizontally".
how do you think of a tune "vertically"?
After all you are still talking about tunes, not about harmony, counterpoint, or that kind of stuff. So how can a melody line be vertical?