Another side of LE McCullough....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I've been carrying out an e-mail correspondence with LE McCullough for a while now. The man who literally wrote the book on whistle playing has another interesting side to him-- he's a talented and sometimes very funny writer. He gave me the go ahead to post this link to a darkly funny bit of political satire he wrote. Go dude!

http://www.nuvo.net/news/archive/001245.html#001245
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

LOL! :grin:
dlambert
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dlambert »

Maybe when Tel Aviv gets nuked Larry will rethink his little play.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Completely OT: In your email correspondence with Mr. McCullough, would you please mention that his use of apparently handwritten musical notes in his books SUCKS! I find them so hard to read I won't buy the books.
Thanks! :smile:
Susan
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

I found it pretty funny, but my experience on other forums (forii?) has convinced me that current US foreign policy is quite an inflamatory topic for Americans to discuss at the moment. Do we really need a political flame war on this board too?
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

I find it rather funny in a sick way that we go on and on about the weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, yet not once have I heard anyone in government metion the unknown chemical weapon used in russia to kill over 113 protestors. Why isn't Mr. Bush trying to declare war on Russia for their use of chemical weapons of mass destruction? Could it be cause it's easier to pick on a little kid than one your own size?
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Re Russia: The gas isn't "unknown" at all. In fact, it's a very well-known anesthetic gas, frequently used in surgeries. It was intended to sedate everybody in the building so the authorities could get the hostages out safely, but something went terribly wrong.

FWIW, most of the people killed weren't "protesters" (although I would tend to call people who take and kill hostages "terrorists" rather than "protesters"), but the hostages, which makes the situation all the more tragic.

Redwolf
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

BrewerPaul:

I just get the idea that the guy is basically a prodigy and has figured out how to make it in life on his creative talents, rather than having a day job. he writes plays, music, does recording and i think he works with kids etc etc. i admire him from my standpoint at "work."

And Susan, that was a bit harsh. The first whistle tutor came out before desktop publishing and macs. i know, i have an old copy from the 70s and agree that it ought to be upgraded if it hasnt already

. We are spoiled with the ease of printing and duplicating now but it used to be a real big deal to get music copied and printed, especially for an obscure (at the time) musical topic.

His 120 Session tunes are in very legible computer typesetting format. My beef is the "no rolls notated" but thats another argument...

As for politics, if you guys really think saddam is just the same as every other leader of countries with nukes etc , then you get my Neville Chamberlain award.

To continually recite the fact that we "dont bomb North Korea or other fairly hostile states with nukes so why pick on saddam" is to fulfill the "useful idiot" function that cynical power brokers worked for this last election, which failed for the most part.

I sure don't want to bomb babies but the guy has to go and our CIA is pathetic. They couldnt get Fidel and they can't get Saddam, yet they have apparently done terrible things to nearly everybody for all the years in between.

So if yer the leader of this country, who do you count on? Dumb grunts with "semi" smart bombs or the Keystone spooks??

Or do you wait for him to scud and nuke Tel Aviv to engage other Islamic countries in a World War? He tried that once, remember? Then you can march and sing "we shall overcome" in black clothing for the incinerated Chosen People. Or maybe, Tel Aviv will strike first and you can march and mourn for Saddam his own self. Neither choices are my cup of tea at all.

I mean, just because we might have the means to save millions of lives, we shouldn't even try right because its so presumptuous on our part??

Must be easy to shoot from yer office chair at Washington. Try getting on a plane and going to Bagdad. Maybe Jimmy carter and Jesse Jackson will go with you (stop by Tripoli and get Moammar too) and you can "reason" with him. Heck, he got 100% of his country's vote, he must be a Reasonable Person.

Rant finished. Time for a fling.
joeln

Post by joeln »

Nice and incendiary, Weekenders. Suffice to say I don't agree. I'd jump in, but it's easier to keep my perspective from a distance. I'll just sit back and watch the fur fly. - Joel
Edit: I think Jens has it right. The board is more fun when we stick to whistles.
On 2002-11-06 13:00, The Weekenders wrote:
As for politics, if you guys really think saddam is just the same as every other leader of countries with nukes etc , then you get my Neville Chamberlain award.

To continually recite the fact that we "dont bomb North Korea or other fairly hostile states with nukes so why pick on saddam" is to fulfill the "useful idiot" function that cynical power brokers worked for this last election, which failed for the most part.

I sure don't want to bomb babies but the guy has to go and our CIA is pathetic. They couldnt get Fidel and they can't get Saddam, yet they have apparently done terrible things to nearly everybody for all the years in between.

So if yer the leader of this country, who do you count on? Dumb grunts with "semi" smart bombs or the Keystone spooks??

Or do you wait for him to scud and nuke Tel Aviv to engage other Islamic countries in a World War? He tried that once, remember? Then you can march and sing "we shall overcome" in black clothing for the incinerated Chosen People. Or maybe, Tel Aviv will strike first and you can march and mourn for Saddam his own self. Neither choices are my cup of tea at all.

I mean, just because we might have the means to save millions of lives, we shouldn't even try right because its so presumptuous on our part??

Must be easy to shoot from yer office chair at Washington. Try getting on a plane and going to Bagdad. Maybe Jimmy carter and Jesse Jackson will go with you (stop by Tripoli and get Moammar too) and you can "reason" with him. Heck, he got 100% of his country's vote, he must be a Reasonable Person.
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: joeln on 2002-11-06 13:13 ]</font>
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I can delete it I guess ). i really started off saying that LE is a real talented guy!!!! But I do get tired of Bush-sniping IN THIS PARTICULAR SITUATION.

I believe that much of the protest movements have a symbiotic relationship where they depend on being disenfranchised and powerless. It gives motivation for the marches etc. and permanent "higher moral ground". 8 years of Clinton actually put a lot of the people with that mentality in power and I don't think they did any better than the mean old Republicans with the various military actions etc. We bombed babies in other places, lost American lives in terror, etc. etc.

Its not easy to actually lead the country but very easy to find fault with those who do.

I don't have the ultimate answer about Saddam. But he will kill if he can, that is for certain. I can understand the mentality of saying that its not our job to do something about him, but I don't agree with it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Weekenders on 2002-11-06 13:32 ]</font>
joeln

Post by joeln »

I'll delete mine if you delete yours :smile:
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

hmmm....thinking........dont wanna be called a coward....hmmmm......dont know the Netiquette......hmmmm....they get real mad when you take away a post, especially if they have just penned a white-lipped response....

Now you know why I am not president!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Weekenders on 2002-11-06 13:37 ]</font>
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I was assuming using the handwritten notes, or computer-generated handwritten notes, or whatever they are, was a choice and I was stating my opinion of that choice. If there wasn't an alternative, I humbly apologize for my sarcastic remark.
Susan
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I think you mean the Original Tutor, right Susan?? The old one had a white cover and had hand calligraphy in places, typed copy in others with hand notated musical notes... I think he has another publication which I havent seen....That one had a hand-drawn ad for Lark in the Morning, i think. Almost like a museum piece in tinwhistledom...And the pic of 70s McCullough is pretty funny too. Midwest Cool guy!!!! I looked pretty funny then too!

Once the printers have the plates, all parties are reluctant to reset anything because thats all the cost...
There are a few great tunes in that original. I love Boholla Jigs and Love at the Endings....

None of this is that big of a deal, except maybe me accidentally pouring political lighter fluid on all o' it....
plagon2000

Post by plagon2000 »

[quote]

What a coincidence you mention the CIA, we saw a show on the tv just last night which all-but pointed the finger at that crowd for the anthrax terrorism. Did that show make it onto your screens, are you recieving news on the investigations?