Calling all Presbyopics! (old people)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
emmline
antispam: No

Calling all Presbyopics! (old people)

Post by emmline »

Have you tried "progressive lenses" yet?
This means bifocals without the old-fashioned line across the middle.

Do you love, hate, or merely put up with them?

Here is my brand new pair. I am trying to wear them different places to see if my eyes do, in fact, adapt, or whether the weirdness will go on forever, as long as I use those glasses.

Normally, I don't bother with specs, as I am only slightly nearsighted. But now I find that when I wear my old glasses in some of the usual places (at a lecture, in the grocery store,) they inhibit my ability to read labels, or take notes--the usual close-up reading tasks. Hence, the progressives, which, if I'm clever enough to peer through the correct part of the lens, should compensate for either deficit. And they do, provided I don't move.
But once I start looking side to side, or walking around, the bizarre diagonal distortions can become quite extraordinary. Maybe I just have too much astigmatism.

Has anyone else dealt with this type of glasses? Did you ever get used to them?

sorry, having weird connectivity issues tonight. Double posted.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

I have progressives for normal wear. I have a set of "computer glasses, 8 inches to about 25 inches worth of depth of field. I also wear contacts. My contacts work for me as long as I don't do any close up work, like scrape a chanter reed. I can do that sans optical aids. I don't like wearing my glasses when I'm out riding my bike. My contacts and my Oakleys do a lot better than my normal prescription sun glasses when I'm riding.

The progressives are a little bit of a pain if I need to use my computer screen for a long time, say doing CAD work, I have to tilt my head up slightly to get into the magnifier range. I don't have any astigmatism so that a plus. Anything past 16 to 20 inches gets "blurry".

If its just normal surfing, contacts, computer glasses work as well.

The only times I dislike my contacts if its been really dry, or I've been using the computer for a long time, say greater than 8 hours.

I DID NOT WANT BIFOCALS!!! Oh vanity, all is vanity,etc

YMMV
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

I have two pair (just started this a few months ago): one is for distance and driving, the other for computer and reading (progressive). I agree, the progressives are really annoying, and particularly useless. I'm sorry I ever wasted the money on them. The reading/close-up part is only good at one specific distance. I still have to take my glasses off to look at something close up (reed aperatures, for instance). If I had the money I would get laser surgery.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I got by without bi-focals for many many years because I'm farsighted in one eye and near in the other- somehow I'd just rely on the needed eye.

When I had to get them I first tried progressive lenses. I really tried- wore them to work and left the others home, stuff like that. When ever I wore them I immediately got nauseated. I took them back and said "give me the lines". I put them on and they were no problem at all, I guess because with the lines there is a definite point where they are one way or the other, no in between.

I have tri-focals for casing mail at work and bi-focals for the rest of the time. I need to get some piano/organ glasses desperately with a larger area for close work. My neck is killing me by the end of church service or piano at home from tilting back to look through the small bottom part of the lens.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Hey, I'm not Presbyopic, I'm Jewish ;-)

After using OTC reading glasses for about 10 yrs, I got a pair of inexpensive progressive lenses (Sears optical) because at this point Icould use something for reading, and something for middle distance (eg reading music on a stand). They did the trick as far as focussing where I needed them, BUT the actual focal area was so small that instead of being able to scan a line of print with my eyes, I constantly had to move my head left and right to keep the words in the focal area. Think Kathryn Hepburn's head tremor... I returned them in a couple of weeks and got regular bifocals.
I understand that the better progressive lenses have a larger focal area, but they cost a fortune and I don't need them that badly... yet.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

For the past fifteen years I have worn progressive bifocals without difficulty. I like them a lot better than the old flat-top segment bifocals that I used to wear. I do think that it is important to get a good fit at your optical shop, and you may need more than one pair for different tasks. That being said, you can still expect that it will take some time for your brain to integrate the new visual imput. It is common to have problems at first, but this should level off and not be noticeable if you will give it time.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I don't know that mine are called "progressive" (at least I don't recall the eye doctor ever calling them that), but they definitely don't have the line. My sight is okay up close so one part is basically just glass (plastic?) and the other part is for far away seeing (driving, etc.). I don't wear my glasses when at work (unless I want to see who is speaking at the end of the conference table) or at home (unless I want to watch tv or see who the neighbor's daughter is necking with across the street). I'm constantly taking them off and putting them back on -- and constantly losing them. My daughter threatens to get me one of those gold chains to keep them on. But they're light years better than any of the three types of bifocal contacts I tried. Those are a nightmare!

Susan
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

I am extremely nearsighted (shortsighted for those of you who speak English English :) ) and, since my mother had a horrible time getting used to bifocals, I thought I would have a hard time too. My husband tried the progressive lenses and hated them at first. When I finally had to get bifocals I went with the progressive and I LOVE them.

The only time I have problems is going down stairs or getting on the down escalator, and I never was one who could glide downstairs in a ball gown and high heels - I've always had to put my feet firmly on the stairs before going on to the next step (don't get behind me walking downstairs if you're in a hurry!)

As far as using the computer, I just crank my chair up higher so I'm looking at the screen through the proper part of the lenses.
Charlene
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I tried progressives. Would you like me to explain in detail about the projectile vomiting and migraines, or would you be happier with the falling-down-the-stairs story?

They are instruments of the devil. Do not buy them unless you have a money-back guarantee on them, no questions asked.
Cotelette d'Agneau
emmline

Post by emmline »

Lambchop wrote:I tried progressives. Would you like me to explain in detail about the projectile vomiting and migraines, or would you be happier with the falling-down-the-stairs story?
The latter. Please.

Interesting. Based on the above, if I were reading reviews at Amazon.com I would definitely not buy them.
Since I already have, I will hope that I will find them tolerable, like Doug and Charlene.
missy

Post by missy »

I've had Lasik, and when it was done I lost my close up vision, in order to have 20/20 far away (my choice, I could have gone with keeping the close up, but NOT be 20/20 far away, or one eye one way and the other they other).

I use OTC magnifiers when needed, such as doing bead work and threading needles. So far, I've not needed anything when doing computer work or reading.

Both Tom and my mom have progressives (no lines). It took my mom quite a while to get used to them, and they still drive her nuts when driving and trying to look at the speedometer (my kids call my mom the "Little Old Lady from Pasadena", so she NEEDS to watch that speedometer!). Tom finally got a pair of "computer" glasses so he wasn't stretching his neck all the time.

I remember when my dad first got bifocals, he had a terrible time. They had to move the focal point all around because of how his eyes were so deep set, and finally wound up with just a small round area toward the middle of the lense.

So I agree with getting a proper fit.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Anstapa

Post by Anstapa »

What Doug said. I have been wearing transitional progressives for about twenty years and only use the one pair for everything with no problems. I don't need them for distances, so most times at the computer, I let them slip down the nose a bit, so I can easily look over the top for distance viewing.

Anstapa
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

OK Kids -

As a dispensing optician and para-optometric technician of fifteen years perhaps I can shed a little light on why you're having difficulties with your lenses.

First off, ANY lens is a compromise. Even single vision lenses have distortion - worse in spheric vs. aspheric designs, and certain lens materials with lower relative abbe values will tend to add insult to this with an increased amount of chromatic abberation.

Now when you get into bi, tri, computer, and progressive lenses (all VERY different designs mind you), the amount of accuracy needed to keep everything in your field of view clear, and flat, is quite high.

Now I will say this: IF you are struggling at ALL with your progressive lenses, it is most likely due to a poor measurement and fit by the optician, or as I must deal with every day, a poor frame choice and refusal to wear the frames and lenses properly by the patient. In these latter cases, there is not really anything current optical science can offer to improve the quality of vision/life. There are some basic parameters that have to be met regarding fit, placement and angles.

Now if it was the optician who didn't take the time to properly measure and re-measure, then you definitely have reason to go back and ask them to make it right. You would be amazed at the difference even just a millimeter can make here or there. Also, DON'T BUY CHEAP. I can't stress this enough. You will NOT be getting fit with a current lens design that is as well optimized for your unique prescription as possible. Most all of the discount chains and stores use twenty year old lens designs that they can buy at a steal because of their age. A good set of current progressive lenses will likely cost $400 - $600 per pair and up. That's just the lenses...sorry folks.

Also, look for features that either come with the lens already or can be added such as a GOOD anti-reflective (anti-glare) property, scratch resistance, and UV protection. These are all critical to the overall performance of your new spectacle lenses and he comfort and speed of adaption you will experience.

Hope that helps a little... :D

Brian, ABOC
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Did y'all see that Presbyopic on the Beeb about John Knox?
chas

Post by chas »

I'll probably be heading down that road soon. I can see okay for reading, but I do a lot of close work, and for that I look over or under my glasses. I already have bifocal safety glasses, but they're a design that doesn't go over the regular glasses well at all. So for fine stuff in the shop I'll be getting those things that go on your head with magnifying glasses that go up and down, and for work I'll be getting either bifocal or progressive prescription safety glasses. Once I've tried those out I'll see about what to do for my regular glasses.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.