Odd Spin on New Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JamieHamilton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JamieHamilton »

In another post, Steve asked the question very same question that I've been mulling over myself for the last few weeks... how convenient...

I'm actually mostly a flute and low whistle players, but I've begun to tire of the little, platrinkin' 10 buck whistles I occasionally get stuck playing, so I've been looking for one nice high end one myself. But I didn't want to detract from the purport of the other post by putting on spin on it there, but let me do so now, if I may...

Who makes the best high end whistle around with ABSOLUTELY THE MOST UN-TRADITIONAL SOUND ON THE MARKET (yes, you read that right)? Forgive me, this is wholly a matter of personal preference and stylistic predilection, but I loathe the sound of Josie McDermott, Micho Russell, and Cathal McConnell with a purple freakin' passion, and I want a whistle that will remove me as far from that style as possible - I'm lookin' for tone that's smooth as good lovin' and slick as a baby's ass smeared in Crisco, but still crisp as ice cold boxer shorts at 5 in the morning.

So who makes the best slicker 'n s**t, cool as dammit whistle about these days?

Regards,
Jamey.
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Joan Madden is a big Burke proponent and her tone is about as clean and "untraditional" as I've heard.
Cheers,
Aaron
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

The Whistle Shop sells a pretty fine slide whistle. It's pretty un-whatever you said.

So how's Orange County? I grew up there. I used to bodysurf down at Huntington all the time, back before there was a parking fee.

I went to SAHS. Wife went to Mater Dei.
I'm guessing you're from south county. Just a guess, though. :smile:

JP
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

If you want pure tone, why get a whistle at all, Jamey? Get a recorder. :smile:
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
nickt

Post by nickt »

Jamie - not sure if your post is in English, but from what I can gather you need a Rose blackwood D. The purest toned whistle on the market, balanced, responsive and a great favourite among flautists who love its sound.
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

How about taking just about any whistle in the world, hook it up to an amplifier, and add lots of echo. Your playing will sound like shopping mall muzak in no time.

:lol:
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I agree with Nick, the Rose. I have one I'd be willing to part with; mail me offlist if you're interested.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
JamieHamilton

Post by JamieHamilton »

On 2002-11-05 01:03, JohnPalmer wrote:
The Whistle Shop sells a pretty fine slide whistle. It's pretty un-whatever you said.

So how's Orange County? I grew up there. I used to bodysurf down at Huntington all the time, back before there was a parking fee.

I went to SAHS. Wife went to Mater Dei.
I'm guessing you're from south county. Just a guess, though. :smile:

JP
Yeh... maybe... just maybe. I lived in Garden Grove till I was four, and then in Tustin for the last sixteen years, just south of Cowan Heights. Not exactly "South County" per se, as in Irvine or San Juan Capistrano, but still sufficiently "Burb from Hell" to qualify.

And thanks for the suggestions, everybody - and I'll save a few of you the trouble of posting by saying that, yes, I do already have a MIDI program.

Jamey.
serpent

Post by serpent »

On 2002-11-05 04:29, Jens_Hoppe wrote:
How about taking just about any whistle in the world, hook it up to an amplifier, and add lots of echo. Your playing will sound like shopping mall muzak in no time.

:lol:
Oooooooh! And an electronic wah-wah pedal to eliminate the need to do slides! :smile: One of those Charlie Drake-ish throat mikes so you can sing "in whistle" by just mouthing the words! Modern digital electronics at their finest! :grin:

But Seriously, Folks, I bought a Chinese-made high-D whistle in bamboo in SFO Chinatown last year. It not only sounded waay too "oriental" to be trad, but had the windway on the bottom! Still, it was easy to play and nicely in tune (though I had to try a few to get one that was).

It cost me 99 cents plus tax. That don't make it a "high-end" by any stretch of the imagination, but if you want "different", it's about as "different" as you'll find! :smile:

Cheers,
Bill Whedon
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I think the Copeland whistles have
a sound which, while it hardly
sounds out of place in trad,
is pretty different from
your basic inexpensive
trad whistle--more flutey,
more chiffy. In the high
D I like the nickel best.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

This man needs to buy a recorder and some treatment. :wink:
/Bloomfield
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

If it's a pure tone you want, I have found my Dixon to be very pure, also my Oak.

They aren't high end, but they have a pure tone, and are well in tune.

Best,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
JamieHamilton

Post by JamieHamilton »

On 2002-11-05 10:26, Bloomfield wrote:
This man needs to buy a recorder and some treatment. :wink:
Good thought, but I've been living in Texas for the past two and a half years - the bill from my shrink's already gonna be out of sight without throwing treatment for musical delusions on the pile.

J.
E = Fb

Post by E = Fb »

I'm not sure what it is about a whistle that gives it that "traditional" sound. I do know the sound you are looking for. It's the old TV Test Card sound, folded into an instrument. If you find it, let us know 'cause I'd like one of those too, especially if you can get it cheap. I don't think any of the suggestions you've had will meet what you are looking for, although the Rose comes closest. The Copeland is not it.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Another thought...

Since you're talking high-end anyway, why not contact whistlesmiths, tell them what you're looking for, and ask if they can accommodate you? It appears that many, if not all, of the people who make whistles make them to order...There may well be a whistlesmith out there who will look upon your request as a challenge and be happy to work with you to try to attain the sound you crave. Warning, however...there may be a heck of a wait, depending on who you contact and how backlogged they are with orders.

Just a thought :smile:

Redwolf