Free Low-D (The Competition)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

bdh wrote:No one ever thinks about the Antipodes. I just wanted to raise awareness about the existence of Australia and New Zealand. That is all. :D
Where??????
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
synecdoche
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by synecdoche »

Just to say I held it would be reward enough. Just to have it say that it saw a fleeting glance of me once would be like nothing I've ever known. For the fact that it might have known me to enter its song, that would be heaven.

Oh, Alba. You I love. I think I shall write an air...and then wish I could play it on an Alba low D whistle, would that I had one. For even if "Air for Alba" became a hit, playing it on any other whistle would be futile at best.

As for doing a good deed for another Chiff and Fippler? I don't know if I have anything of value to give, but I would surely give my all if I knew it would put a smile on someone's face.

Now, off I go to write "Air for Alba"...and weep.
"It's the Great God Bird through it all!"
-Sufjan Stevens
pastorkeith

FREE LOW D

Post by pastorkeith »

Send it to Doc Jones with the understanding that it is to be sold with all monies going to the orphange that he (and prayerfully others) support (Foyer de Sion Orphanage) in Haiti, one of the most impoverished countries in the Western Hemisphere. Real children, real lives looking for real hope.

I know this actually dumps a huge dose of reality to the pluck and light humor of this thread. I'd apologize, but hey, for the orphans in Haiti, I'll suck up spoiling the fun.

pastorkeith
"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love."-- Mother Teresa
walrii

Post by walrii »

Here in the wilds of North Texas, Kountry is King and toy whistles need not apply. Imagine the impact of a REAL whistle, even played by a duffer like myself, on the gray, sordid musical lives of all these folks. The glorious Irish music would spread like wild-fire through from each one-genre town to the next, igniting an explosion of musical diversity, peace and prosperity. Think of it as a musical "Iraqi Freedom" for north Texas.

Um, er...that didn't come out so well...still, it MIGHT work. We won't know unless you send the whistle here!
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

'Twas a month past that I sold my Chieftain Low D in order to fund the purchase of a wooden flute. While I'm no stranger to the whistle, the flute is a new adventure for straycat82. Do not give me this Alba Low D, for 'tis my personal vow that I shall not again toot an octave below soprano D until I have acquired the skills necessary to do so on said flute.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

walrii wrote:Here in the wilds of North Texas, Kountry is King and toy whistles need not apply. Imagine the impact of a REAL whistle, even played by a duffer like myself, on the gray, sordid musical lives of all these folks. The glorious Irish music would spread like wild-fire through from each one-genre town to the next, igniting an explosion of musical diversity, peace and prosperity. Think of it as a musical "Iraqi Freedom" for north Texas.

Um, er...that didn't come out so well...still, it MIGHT work. We won't know unless you send the whistle here!
The Dixie Chicks already done it... y'know... before their lynchin'.
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

Hey crooked...
You've started a whopper. I thought it took a yelling match over the virtues of the mythical off-the-shelf Generation, to get the app-cray piled THIS deep around here! WRONG!

Aside. The award, thus far, for the absolute shoddiest lying technique, goes to the "NAF guy," from Maine. (May he never be called into an IRS office, for a "consultation"...)

Ooops. Yep. The Doc Jones idea sobers the thing up a bit!

Glad I'm not judging this!
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I need the low D, cause the good reverend there made me feel bad with all his talk about orphans in Haiti, and distracted me such that I couldn't finish my tale of woe about the Waldco complaints dept.
Reasonable person
Walden
cadancer

Re: Free Low-D (The Competition)

Post by cadancer »

crookedtune wrote: 1- Don't private-message me
2- Promise to do a good turn of some sort here at C&F
3- Explain to me why this whistle really belongs in your kit.
4- Don't ask any questions about the rules.
1. Wouldn't think of it, but I *did* send flowers. :)

2. Already done (quietly). However, I am up for more. Upon Alba confirmation, my much-loved Freeman-tweaked Shaw (High D) will be on its way to the runner-up of your choice. I would offer more, but I only have the Shaw and a D/C set with one head left after... shhhh, that was quiet.

3. a) Before a person can see the light, they must be willing to walk on the dark side. The Alba is my key to the dark side. Only through exposure can a person really appreciate the beauty of the "Low". Through playing the "Low" I would gain a greater understanding of all people "Low". What better calling is there ?

3. b) I could practice at night and not disturb my hard-working student-daughter.

3. c) I will give it away free of charge (to a deserving person or cause) if/when I find that:
3. c. 1) My journey to the "Low" has been satisfied but my future (while greatly enriched by the "Low" experience) lies elsewhere.
3. c. 2) It has dust on it from lack of use

4. I kinda liked the rules. :)

Your humble servant,

John
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Cool, I always wanted servants! :)
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

'F she were mine, I'd name her Jessica, and caress her ever so gently with my fingertips, being ever-so-cautious not to overblow, til she sang with such sweet senstivity, that she could make a grown man cry.

Yes. That is what I would do.

And when I finally try my hand at making whistles of my own (which I'm starting tonight, BTW), I will host a contest to place one of these fine instruments in the proper hands.
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
evenstr

Post by evenstr »

This whistle is calling to me, saying "play me...play me...I sing ever so sweetly...". I only have a grand total of three whistles and on my modest jobless budget I don't think any new ones will be coming soon. I would sit and stroke it and play it until it was very happy. I will bring my own piece of Ireland home with this whistle.

Just a note on the other matter of helping someone on Chiff and Fipple: I will do something to the best of my abilities, but I am unsure of when that may. I'll have to start coming up ideas...
arnie

Post by arnie »

I'll be honest, I'm late, but I'm suffering from this disease. It's incurable. I don't have enough money to slow down the proces. It's sad really, it's indurable to have only one sort of whistle and surely only one low whistle at all. AND ALBA IS SO DAMN BEAUTIFUL GUYS!!!!! It's quite rare in the Netherlands as well. Does anyone have a cure for my WHOA?
Last edited by arnie on Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

I say HACK IT UP into little pieces...one for each contestant. Be done with it, man!!! AAAaaarrrg...

oh

Was that the wrong answer, Mr Solomon, Sir?
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
Denny

Post by Denny »

evenstr wrote:I will bring my own piece of Ireland home with this whistle.
bit more Scotland than Ireland, I'd think :wink:
Last edited by Denny on Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.