Where do YOU live?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

my little bit of southwest Virginia- there's lots purtier spots herebouts, but these is th' ones I've got picters uv....

Sourwood Mountain in winter

Heading up on Sourwood-

from the hills behind our house

the house from the vineyard

here's the ancestral log home

our house before repainting-same site as above-and floor joists. etc/ are from the house above- that's the smokehouse to the left in both pictures

"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Steamwalker
antispam: No

Post by Steamwalker »

emmline wrote:Correct. You walk the perimeter, along a pathway with a chain that you're not allowed to cross.
That's looks pretty far away from it. What is that, 50 yards? I assume people are bringing their binoculars.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Not quite that far - as I recall from a couple of years back it was more like ~20 yards away from the stones.

Got to give them points for trying their best to hide the barriers until you're right on top of them - from any distance, things look OK.

Still disappointing, though. And during tourist season, Stonehenge is about as isolated as the main entrance of the San Diego Zoo.
KatieBell

Post by KatieBell »

Well, here in Dallas there isn't much other than concrete, so they try to make the concrete look interesting. For instance, Reunion Tower in the first picture rotates while you are inside it so you can see a 360 degree view of the city while paying a premium on drinks or dinner. The second picture is a back view of Dallas and the overpass in the lower left corner is where JFK was shot.

Image Image

Dallas is trying to make a name for itself in the arts, and it is doing a pretty good job of it. You can see various forms of art almost everywhere. The first is the entrance to the zoo. The two following are from the Nasher Sculpture Center. The fourth is the entrance to the Crow Museum of Asian Art. The fifth is one of many free concerts hosted by the Dallas Symphony Orchestra.

Image Image Image Image Image

You don't have to go too far to get some greenery. The first picture is at the zoo. The second is one of the few places in the United States you can ride a gondola. The third is a privately owned nature preserve. The fourth is a historical barn on a state park.

Image Image Image Image

This last one is just for fun. Dr. Pepper is quite popular here as Dublin, TX is a Dr. Pepper bottling facility where they still use the original recipe, including sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup.

To be on a quest is nothing more or less than to become an asker of questions. -Keen
djm

Post by djm »

Them's some gosh durn powerful purdy pitchers ya got there, ct.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
KatieBell

Post by KatieBell »

Here are a few more from Texas, but not Dallas.

Palo Duro Canyon

Tyler Rose Garden
Image Image

The Texas/Mexico border (Tx is on your right) at Big Bend National Park and roadside shrine in Texas nearing the Mexico border
Image Image

A common Texas sight when you get away from the big cities
Image Image

And here's one of the many things to see in Granbury, TX
To be on a quest is nothing more or less than to become an asker of questions. -Keen
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

Makes me want to walk through all these landscapes. Beauty in all kinds of places. A friend of mine who had chronic pain said she kept a photo album in her head of favorite places, and would visit them when things got rough.

I still don't know how to post photos. One day...

<--- I live here.

Jennie
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

Here's some pictures of Aberdeen itself (none of these were taken by me). By the way if anyone's read Bill Bryson's Notes From A Small Island this is all the stuff he said he couldn't find (floral gardens, lots of large and impressive granite buildings) and the majority of these pictures were taken right in the city centre. All he had to do was look up at the buildings he was walking past. Instead he complained about the shops being the same as everywhere else and gave the city the most negative write up of anywhere in the book. Not that I'm bitter, I just love my home and hate to see people talk it down needlessly.

Union Terrace Gardens

Union Street

His Majesty's Theatre

Just to be fair, here's what Union Street's like in the rain, not quite as pretty

River Don entering the North Sea

Kings College (Scotland's 3rd oldest University founded in 1495)

Aberdeen Harbour (the first publicly limited company in the UK)

Where I work

Marischal College (2nd largest granite building in Europe)

Finally a gratuitous winter shot of Dunnottar Castle beside Stonehaven

I was going to post some more but Flickr seems to have stopped working. I might add more later on.
djm

Post by djm »

I was watching a show last night on Scotland's castles and private homes. Ayr looks a bit tony, but very nice. Definitely something to add to my itinerary when I win the lotto.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I don't have any good photos of my own to post so I'll post my boyfriend's. Even so, he didn't have any of the things I would have wanted to show. This is Santa Barbara, California.

The Beach

Mission Santa Barbara

The Cold Spring Tavern (motorcycle hangout and good place to eat leg of lion or kangaroo or whatever other strange meat is on special. I had the salmon, thank you very much. Oh, and that's not me or my boyfriend.)

Ostriches near the Wine Country (you can get burgers made of these guys up the road)

Bear prints in the local wilderness (the creatuers themselves are rather elusive and shy)

Hiking in the local wilderness (when it's not on fire)

Hiking in the wilderness (when it's on fire)
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

It always amazes me how much natural beauty there is in and around big cities. The human beauty is expected of course. And West Virginia...wow. Added to my list of places I want to go. Scotland (again) is already toward the top.

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

And West Virginia...wow. Added to my list of places I want to go.
Badger, if you are thinking of my pictures, you need to go a bit south. I'm in southwest Virginia.

'course good ole West (by God) Virginia tain't bad neither- I's born there.

:P

"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

cowtime wrote:
Badger, if you are thinking of my pictures, you need to go a bit south. I'm in southwest Virginia.
I used to live in western Virginia. Beautiful country and the views underground are just as good. Great place to go caving!

Remember the old John Denver tune called "Country Roads"? Anyone from the area knows it's really about western Virginia. :)
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

swizzlestick wrote:Anyone from the area knows it's really about western Virginia. :)
Er, it says West Virginia repeatedly in the song. Makes it pretty obvious where it's about :wink:
emmline

Post by emmline »

chrisoff wrote:
swizzlestick wrote:Anyone from the area knows it's really about western Virginia. :)
Er, it says West Virginia repeatedly in the song. Makes it pretty obvious where it's about :wink:
It's a bit of a confusing issue when you say your family's from southwest Virginia--people hear West Virginia. The geographic truth though is that the only thing seperating one from the other along that zigzaggy border is the condition of the roads.
Well, Cowtime can probably give me some different differences.

I remember driving from the Bluefield (W. VA) airport to my grandparents' home in Tazewell (VA) numerous times as a kid, and I'd be looking at the little ramshackle farmhouses and whatnot, when all of a sudden all the yards and houses snapped into groomed place, and the lines painted on the roads became sharp and crisp. Then you'd know you'd crossed the border.