Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

sbhikes wrote:Love that polka, cocusflute. I swear world peace would be close at hand were there more polkas being played!
Been away on hols, so coming a bit late to this - don't suppose I'll have time to catch up on much!!!! Anyway, to the point, Diane, have you heard Matt Molloy's rendition of Sligo Polka together with The Galway Piper on his Shadows on Stone album? If not, get it! I loved them so much I just had to learn the set - and I tend to avoid playing other peoples' sets (I adopt tunes, but rarely sets...) off recordings, but I just can't resist those. Of course, I can't play them remotely as well as Matt, and I've evolved my own versions a bit over time, though they are doubtless still noticeably Molloy-derivative, but, what the hell....... there are worse models!

Cocus, thanks for the reminder - some interesting variants from the Molloy version in your hybrid.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
cocusflute

Post by cocusflute »

Bless you, Romulo. That's a wonderful waltz. Your tone is even more remarkable because you're so new to this and playing a Hammy. You're on the road to being a fine player.
Jem, I got the tune from Garry Shannon, who has a kick to the tune that Matt, more legato, doesn't have. Here's Garry:
http://comhaltas.ie/music/detail/comhal ... y_shannon/

Now I'll have to put on a different tune. Garry Shannon is a wonderful player.
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
Markus
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Markus »

Yeah that Sligo Polka is a lovely tune indeed. Think it's been associated with Fred Finn quite a few times - and also been called The Killavil Postman somewhere.

As for myself, I didn't like tune straight off Matt Molloy's album, I think the legato was the reason for that. Sounded like German circus music to my ear at the time. Then found some bouncier versions of it and it started talking to me. Anyhow, lovely readings of the tune both from Cocus and Garry.

BTW, as for Garry Shannon, I heartily recommend his album Punctured especially if anyone is in the mood for some whacky humour-trad.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Thanks for the Gary Shannon clip link, Cocus - lovely stuff! I like his take on both tunes there - nice variations in the Sligo, though I'll probably stick to a more Molloyish rendition........

Fine player though Gary undoubtedly is (I hadn't really come across more than mentionof his name before), that top hand position of his looks sooooo painful!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Here's a beautiful air that I just found:

http://comhaltas.ie/music/detail/comhal ... d_fleming/
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
rh

Post by rh »

Markus wrote:Yeah that Sligo Polka is a lovely tune indeed. Think it's been associated with Fred Finn quite a few times - and also been called The Killavil Postman somewhere.
on the first Arcady album, i believe. and it's listed as a barndance therein, IIRC.
there is no end to the walking
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

jemtheflute wrote:
Fine player though Gary undoubtedly is (I hadn't really come across more than mentionof his name before), that top hand position of his looks sooooo painful!
Indeed, I was struck by the positioning of his thumb :o
hmmmmmm
Maybe I'll try it for a few minutes and see what I think.....

M

nope, no can do
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

There's in interview with Garry Shannon, I think on Brad Hurley's website, in which he points out that he learned to play left-handed, with the flute on his right shoulder, and never could learn the "right" way.

He's absolutely one of my favorite flute players. If I thought it would do a bit of good, I'd switch to left-handed, flute on the shoulder, right hand contorted.
Last edited by chas on Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Here are a couple of clips from a small gig I did last Friday night. It was at Tŷ Siamas, the recently opened Centre for Welsh Traditional Music in Dolgellau. I was doing a half-hour support/warm up spot before the wonderful Diskan (now without Chris Wilkes - viz their website). Given Diskan's ITM/Breton/Balkan repertory and the venue, I chose to do a programme entirely of Welsh material on a variety of flutes.
The first clip Y Dyn Meddw/Yr Anner Gorniog is played on my mid C19th 6-key F Flute and the second Morfa'r Frenhines on my late C19th Rampone 12 key with low B.

Y Dyn Meddw means The Drunkard and is trad Welsh: Yr Anner Gorniog means The Horny Heifer and is my own composition. Morfa'r Frenhines means The Queen's Marsh (marSh, as in boggy place, NOT MarCh, as it can erroneously be found in various places in the Web and even on album bumf!) and is also trad Welsh.

I hope someone likes/enjoys them.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
cocusflute

Good going.

Post by cocusflute »

Very nice- unusual to my ears. Very un-Irish.
You have a lovely, clear tone.
More....
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
Romulo

Post by Romulo »

cocusflute wrote:Bless you, Romulo. That's a wonderful waltz. Your tone is even more remarkable because you're so new to this and playing a Hammy. You're on the road to being a fine player.
Jem, I got the tune from Garry Shannon, who has a kick to the tune that Matt, more legato, doesn't have. Here's Garry:
http://comhaltas.ie/music/detail/comhal ... y_shannon/

Now I'll have to put on a different tune. Garry Shannon is a wonderful player.
Thank you for the kind words Cocus.
By the way, Gary Shannon also appears at 19/8/2007 Geantraí, around 25:50
Couldn't get a direct link, but it's on www.tg4.ie in webtv- Ceol - Geantraí 19/8/2007
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Thanks, Cocus. Welsh material does indeed often have a distinctive character, though there is much which is fairly "generic celtic". It often falls somewhere between Irish and Breton for flavour. Of course, how it is played also affects how it comes over. I make no claim to play in a "Welsh" way - there is no continuous tradition of flute playing in Wales. I respond to the music partly based on how I hear other Welsh trad players playing it (harp and fiddle have tenuously continuous traditions - but essentially it is a revivalist scene), partly from my background influences of Irish, Breton and English traditional music, laced with a taste for the Baroque. I daresay that shows!

If you can get hold of it, I recommend listening to Ceri Rhys Matthews on flute, and to Fernhill and to Crasdant - websearches should find you links.

Since you asked, here are another couple of numbers. First on 1-key Bb "fife"/band flute are two tunes I learnt from Ceri, Breuddwyd Rhysysn Bach & Pural Fesur. Then, on an early C19th English traverso style 1-key boxwood flute, an air Eos Lais from an 1859 publication, Davidsons Musical Miracles, Two Hundred and Fifty Welsh Airs for a shilling, adapted for the Violin, Flute, Accordion or any treble instrument (Facsimile edition currently in print and inexpensive!).
I fear there are some minor slip-ups in these - momentary panics/loss of concentration! - the perils of live performance despite assiduous preparation!

Breuddwyd Rhysyn Bach means Little Richard's Dream and Pural Fesur means The Pure Measure (as in "strain", piece of music). Eos Lais means The Song/Voice of the Nightingale.

The recording, BTW was with my minidisc at the back of the auditorium; the sound is not straight acoustic as I was playing to a mic, but the output level was minimal, just for support/even sound.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

dow wrote:Here's a beautiful air that I just found:
http://comhaltas.ie/music/detail/comhal ... d_fleming/
Dow, An Feochan/The Gentle Breeze is indeed a beautiful tune - one of the most beautiful I know. It is also quite well known. Like many others, I learnt it from the playing of the late great Frankie Kennedy - it is on one of the Altan albums. Peerless!
BTW, it was, so I think I know, written by Tommy Peoples, but I have never heard it played on fiddle. Anyone know if he has recorded it himself?

Very decent playing from the young lass Sinead, though she was obviously suffering recording/performing nerves - I know them so well! In the background at one point it sounds like she's got dogs howling along outside too!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Axledog

YouTube Piccolo Player

Post by Axledog »

chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I've talked so much abut my small-holed Noy, which I use primarily to play English dance music. Here is a set of four Playford tunes, 4/5 of the first cut of the Baltimore Consort's album of Playford tunes.* It cross-fingers so well that I had Peter make a foot with an E-flat key. The key changes for each of these tunes.

As usual, comments and criticisms are welcome.

http://www.box.net/shared/f0n2pjqs9q

*The fourth of the five in the set on the album is a solo lute piece; Ronn plays it with so much ornamentation I can't pick out the tune, nor is the title in the book so that I can see at least the outline of the tune. :-?
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.