Help me hold my flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
sbhikes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Help me hold my flute

Post by sbhikes »

I think I need help holding my flute.

I seem quite dependent upon my right pinky finger to hold the flute, to the point that it can start to hurt a bit, or else with my boehm flute, to the point that I can't play quickly because I need it to hold the flute.

I've tried various ways to use only my right thumb, my left index joint and my chin, but the flute always wants to roll forward (both kinds, Irish and boehm, and the boehm quite a bit because of the keys). Before I know it, my right thumb is underneath the flute again and I'm back to using my pinky and it starts to hurt (or becomes loathe to lift off the eb key on the boehm.)

What am I doing wrong?
~Diane

My Credentials as a rank beginner on the flute
peeplj

Re: Help me hold my flute

Post by peeplj »

sbhikes wrote:I think I need help holding my flute.

I seem quite dependent upon my right pinky finger to hold the flute, to the point that it can start to hurt a bit, or else with my boehm flute, to the point that I can't play quickly because I need it to hold the flute.

I've tried various ways to use only my right thumb, my left index joint and my chin, but the flute always wants to roll forward (both kinds, Irish and boehm, and the boehm quite a bit because of the keys). Before I know it, my right thumb is underneath the flute again and I'm back to using my pinky and it starts to hurt (or becomes loathe to lift off the eb key on the boehm.)

What am I doing wrong?
Without seeing you play, it's hard to be sure.

Your flute should be resting against the side of your left index finger's knuckle. This should stop it from being able to roll forward.

Remember, it doesn't hold it up...rather, you are pushing back with it, directly back towards you.

Neither does your right thumb hold it up...it pushes almost straight out from you.

With those two points of contact along with your chin, you should be able to hold the flute solidly using no fingers at all and even with your left thumb hanging free.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Cork
antispam: No

Post by Cork »

I'm guessing, here, but if your flute wants to roll forward, then it could be in the way you are using your left hand, it being too low at its contact point with the flute. Straightening your left wrist somewhat could effectively rotate the contact point a bit higher, reducing the flute's tendency to roll. Edit: And, when you find the place that's just right for you, the flute will not tend to roll, at all, and your fingers also will be free to play. You'll know that place when you find it, as it speaks for itself.

Again, just guessing!
Last edited by Cork on Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny

Post by Denny »

velcro
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Denny wrote:velcro
veni veci velcro

I came, I saw, I stuck to it. :P

--James

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

peeplj wrote:
veni veci velcro

--James
vidi, not veci.

And if "velcro" were a verb, the first person singular perfect would probably be either "velcravi" or "velcrui".

:D
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

peeplj wrote:
veni veci velcro

--James
Actually, that would be 'veni vedi velcro'.

It's true, though, that holding the flute properly (as basic as it seems) can be a challenge at the beginning. I tend to clamp too hard with the left hand, and sometimes get cramping in the lower part beneath my thumb. The best thing is always to spend a few minutes stretching muscles before playing, and then always be looking for an easy, relaxed grip. Once it becomes a habit, you're home free. :) The primary rule is: if it doesn't feel good, you're not doing it right!
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Denny

Re: Help me hold my flute

Post by Denny »

peeplj wrote:Your flute should be resting against the side of your left index finger's knuckle. This should stop it from being able to roll forward.
if it still rolls and it rolls when you lift your index finger, you are not far enough down on the knuckle. It needs to be far enough down that the finger is not helping.

...and what Cork said, straight wrist.
scheky

Post by scheky »

crookedtune wrote:
peeplj wrote:
veni veci velcro

--James
Actually, that would be 'veni vedi velcro'.

It's true, though, that holding the flute properly (as basic as it seems) can be a challenge at the beginning. I tend to clamp too hard with the left hand, and sometimes get cramping in the lower part beneath my thumb. The best thing is always to spend a few minutes stretching muscles before playing, and then always be looking for an easy, relaxed grip. Once it becomes a habit, you're home free. :) The primary rule is: if it doesn't feel good, you're not doing it right!
That's exactly the same problem I have. When I'm paying attention, I have the flute on the proper anchor points, but when I'm not, that damned left thumb comes rocketing in to press against the flute and hold it firmly in place...causing of course, no end of pain.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

The trick is finding the balance in your left hand, holding it like James described (assuming you play right-handed). When you find that it only takes enough grip from your right hand as you need to keep those fingers in place. The left hand grip combined with contact of the headjoint under your lip should anchor the flute quite comfortably.

Veni, vidi, velcro... is that off of a coffee mug or something? Although 'veci' isn't too far off. according to this this wiki it means a veteran in northern Italian vernacular. So it does mean somebody who has stuck to it.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

AaronMalcomb wrote:The trick is finding the balance in your left hand, holding it like James described (assuming you play right-handed). When you find that it only takes enough grip from your right hand as you need to keep those fingers in place. The left hand grip combined with contact of the headjoint under your lip should anchor the flute quite comfortably.

Veni, vidi, velcro... is that off of a coffee mug or something? Although 'veci' isn't too far off. according to this this wiki it means a veteran in northern Italian vernacular. So it does mean somebody who has stuck to it.
Balance is the key...when you have the flute in balance, it's easy to hold, taking virtually no effort at all.

The good news is once you finally figure it out, it'll quickly become automatic, and you won't have to think of it anymore.

"Veni veci velcro" is actually a saying from when I was in college, years ago. I couldn't tell you who came up with it or where I first heard it...it was just one of those things "everyone" said back then.

--James

-------
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Some more, from

http://forum.quoteland.com/1/OpenTopic? ... 2201935091

"Veni vidi visa" (I came, I saw, I shopped)
"Veni Vedi Velcro" -(I came, I saw, I stuck around) Me.
Vedi Vici Veni" -(I saw, I conquered, I came )
Veni, Vidi, Vici -I came, I saw, I conquered
Veni, Vidi, Verily -I came, I saw, I concurred
Veni, Vidi, Vista -I came, I saw, what a great view!
Veni, Vidi, Venison -I came, I saw, I ran over a deer
Veni, Vidi, Visa -I came, I saw, I went shopping
Veni, Vidi, Vegi -I came, I saw, I had a salad
Veni, Vidi, VCR -I came, I saw, I went home and rented the video
Veni, Vidi, Vinny -I came, I saw, I got an offer I couldn't refuse
Veni, Vidi, DaVinci -I came, I saw, I painted the Sistine Chapel
Veni, Vipi, Vici -I came, I'm a very important person, I conquered
Veni, Vidi, Dei Vici -I came, I saw, God conquered
--James

-------
cadancer

Post by cadancer »

crookedtune wrote: The primary rule is: if it doesn't feel good, you're not doing it right!
I totally disagree with this.

Any new physical activity takes time to learn. People do new movement all the time in a way that feels good, but is clearly not in their best interest in the long run.

I would recommend learning good technique, but doing it in moderation if it is uncomfortable at first. Learning poor technique will hamper your playing later on.

Of course what *is* good technique is sometimes difficult to figure out without help. Oh... and it will feel good eventually. :)

Best wishes,

John
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Second codancer's post.

Sometimes the position that initially seems most comfortable
leads to injury. Sometimes the position that initially seems
awkward and less comfortable, is the
safest and most comfortable in the long run.

Holding a flute is an art and a science and, as the
instruction books i've read about concert flutes say,
one the player may review and fine-tune all her
career.

As to the grip that involves bracing the rt thumb on the
side of the flute, it certainly isn't for everyone. I think
a lot of people find it unstable. More power to those
for whom it works.

There's nothing the matter per se, Diane, with the grip you
are using, relying on the rt pinky. It's standard. A good idea
is to check with a teacher in your area, IMO. Someone who
can see what you're doing. May save you
some grief.
cocusflute

Holding the flute

Post by cocusflute »

I use the base of the end joint on my ring finger, RH, to balance the flute. That, and the flute is resting on my thumb, RH.
I don't like to use my little finger to balance the flute because it would make it too hard, if not impossible, to use the Eb key. I want the little finger free to have continued easy access to the Eb key.
Whatever you learn isn't set in stone. As your playing develops you can change bad habits and modify what you're doing to make playing easier for you. There are many ways of holding the flute. I doubt you will learn how to hold the flute by reading words. I don't think the words matter.
The most important things are: always to be learning new tunes, to play inside your comfort zone, and to love to play.
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.