The Great Pratten Key Cloning Project

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

The Great Pratten Key Cloning Project

Post by Jon C. »

Hi,
Just wanted to share with you-all my first step in cloning the foot keys for a original Pratten flute, that has missing keys.(there is a place where all the missing socks and foot keys are!)
The DNA is coming from another Pratten, so they will be genetically compatable ...:D
Imagewax keys, not very structural!
This is a photo of the original keys, that are being cloned
The next step is to cast the keys using the Lost wax process.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Fair enough: Lost Keys, Lost Wax.

Kevin Krell
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

kkrell wrote:Fair enough: Lost Keys, Lost Wax.

Kevin Krell
:lol:
Should be called the "Lost key process"
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Is there a need to compensate for the metal shrinking due to changes of temperature?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

Hi I.D.-10 T. There is slop in the knee joint of each one that probably takes care of expansion. I got the same thing after 40 years of soccer.

Nelson
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sillydill »

:cry: Guess this means I should cancel my order for the fully keyed Pratten made of Purpleheart with Hot-Pink keywork! :lol:

Let us see how the finished keys turn out, PLEEZE ! :puppyeyes:
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Nelson wrote:Hi I.D.-10 T. There is slop in the knee joint of each one that probably takes care of expansion. I got the same thing after 40 years of soccer.

Nelson
I was mostly wondering about when the liquid metal cools and shrinks during the lost wax process. If the knee can compensate for that, great, but the long section of the key made me wonder how close it would be to the wax model.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Looking good, Jon.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Neat
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Now there is the "Just Do It" philosophy in action.

Pretty darn cool Jon!

Fully keyed Cochrans are not far off!

:party:
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

I've already got my Jon C-replaced-lost-key, and it's vera nize.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Well done!

Need an apprentice? My septic system just died, and I need to run away from home. :wink:
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

I.D.10-t wrote:
Nelson wrote:Hi I.D.-10 T. There is slop in the knee joint of each one that probably takes care of expansion. I got the same thing after 40 years of soccer.

Nelson
I was mostly wondering about when the liquid metal cools and shrinks during the lost wax process. If the knee can compensate for that, great, but the long section of the key made me wonder how close it would be to the wax model.
Hi,
As I understand it, when the metal cools in the casting process, additional metal flows into fill the void. That is why there is additional metal in the button at the top of the casting, to allow for the needed metal.
There can be shrinkage in the wax copy, I used special rubber for the mold, "No Shrink Pink" even after the warnings from our C&F Goldsmith (I like the challenge) it worked great. The pink was is low shrinkage also. But the true test will be the final casting, and I hope they are tighter then Nelson's knees! :P
Michael Flatley

Jon