Cat Nicknames and Appellations

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

Nanohedron wrote: One day I came home from work and found about five or six neighbor cats, himself, and my other housecat all sitting in my front yard in a circle facing each other, all eyes closed and all smiling and communing in Zen-like tranquility. And at around 3:30pm, no less. I had no doubt he'd had a hand in it somehow, and it was one of the weirdest things I ever did see.
I saw a cat doing something like that with an escaped domestic rabbit once that lived between back yards. They weren't fighting, just hanging out together, roughly equal size and similar coloring...Strange.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Innocent Bystander wrote:"Are we having fun yet?"
That reminds me that Jim Davis stole that line from Zippy and put it in Garfield's mouth... Flattery, indeed. Come to think of it, mebbe Garfield is Fat Freddy's cat, all sanitized for middle America's protection...
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
springrobin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Post by springrobin »

Pyewacket was a long-haired Siamese (Balinese). She had two small litters- the first kitten was Grimalkin. The second litter produced Thunder & Lightning (my parents named them before I could get home from school and come up with something more creative). Thunder looked so much like his elder brother that he had to wear a permamarker "X" on his head when we went home for holidays.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Nanohedron wrote:[.... Siamese cats are all nutjobs, though, and to me that's a plus. But I had one who was a born diplomat, and he the knack of making friends with all the neighbor cats. One day I came home from work and found about five or six neighbor cats, himself, and my other housecat all sitting in my front yard in a circle facing each other, all eyes closed and all smiling and communing in Zen-like tranquility. And at around 3:30pm, no less. I had no doubt he'd had a hand in it somehow, and it was one of the weirdest things I ever did see.
We're currently listening to "The Cat Who..." mystery series on tape... the writer definitely knows Siamese cats.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

The Weekenders wrote:My terror used to literally jump on a family German shepherd and scratch her nose, which just has to hurt like hell..
My parents used to have a shorthaired calico who was an unholy terror to their dog. The cat would lie in wait (on the raised front porch, for instance), and when the dog trotted by, completely unaware of his impending doom, she would pounce onto his back and dig her claws in. It was like watching a perverse rodeo of sorts, with the cat apparently trying to see how long she could ride the bucking, screaming mutt before getting flung off. Eventually, the dog learned to cut a wide path around anything that could hide a cat.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

The Weekenders wrote:
Nanohedron wrote: One day I came home from work and found about five or six neighbor cats, himself, and my other housecat all sitting in my front yard in a circle facing each other, all eyes closed and all smiling and communing in Zen-like tranquility. And at around 3:30pm, no less. I had no doubt he'd had a hand in it somehow, and it was one of the weirdest things I ever did see.
I saw a cat doing something like that with an escaped domestic rabbit once that lived between back yards. They weren't fighting, just hanging out together, roughly equal size and similar coloring...Strange.
Yep, that's right up there.

My diplomat Siamese was named Simon. You know, like, "Siamese" and "Simon" sound kinda similar. He was named by someone else while on a car trip all the way to Minnesota from a cat-rescue mission in Texas. Don't ask; I have no idea. I just ended up with him (and was gald I did). Anyway, they tell me he spent the duration of that ride with a t-shirt wrapped around his head and his face sticking out to help cut down on the vehicle-noise barrage to his ears. Apparently it calmed him. I don't think I ever really had any other names for him, though. He was always just Simon.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

been gald meself by cats, I have... :wink:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Denny wrote:been gald meself by cats, I have... :wink:
Ah...I was hoping you'd catch that archaic Antrim locution. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

used to be a proof reader for the wife many years ago

-OR-

just goes with the nature of the things :wink:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

One never quite knows with you, does one.

I'm a compulsive spelling maven when it comes to my own posts - I'm not even sure what a spell checker actually is - but even Nano slisp up. :wink:
Denny

Post by Denny »

good lard, itz all I can do to spelt my own name sometimes. :D

'though it looked like a Freudian typo to me :wink:
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

The fingers can play strange tricks...
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

jsluder wrote:
The Weekenders wrote:My terror used to literally jump on a family German shepherd and scratch her nose, which just has to hurt like hell..
My parents used to have a shorthaired calico who was an unholy terror to their dog. The cat would lie in wait (on the raised front porch, for instance), and when the dog trotted by, completely unaware of his impending doom, she would pounce onto his back and dig her claws in. It was like watching a perverse rodeo of sorts, with the cat apparently trying to see how long she could ride the bucking, screaming mutt before getting flung off. Eventually, the dog learned to cut a wide path around anything that could hide a cat.
We had two different Siamese that loved to do this.

One was a 15-lb tom (very lean, all muscle and bone - quite a big cat) who loved to lurk in trees so he could drop on his victims from above. Our dogs had a truce with him (ie, they stayed well out of his way and he left them alone) but our neighbors' dogs were terrified - I don't recall any of them coming into our yard more than once. Something about having 15 lbs of cat dropping onto your back from 8 feet above, then riding you with all four sets of claws embedded in your skin whilst biting an ear and yowling unearthly yowls into it, I'd imagine. :boggle:

The other was a female, who only went into canine-rodeo mode when she had kittens: even if our dogs were friends, they were NOT ALLOWED in the same room with her kittens. The rest of the time, she regarded dogs as acceptable companions/lackeys/targets of feline practical joke. She seemed to have a S/M relationship with our dog - no matter how much she tormented him, he'd always come back for more.

Our current cat (Apricot, aka "Queen Fuzzybutt") doesn't really like dogs (or other cats) in our yard, but other than being rather friendlier than most towards humans (she always wants to meet new people) her only notable peculiarity is an absolute horror of pipe music. Odd - she loves whistles and flutes, ignores piano and fiddle, but flees in abject terror when the pipes start. I could understand it if it were the GHP, but Uilleann Pipes???
jkwest
Location: the beautiful, untainted NorCal..yes there is one..

Post by jkwest »

We have three cats...

Our oldest is a big black long hair...he's strickly outside..looks like he is transient..scraggly and always dirty..hilarious guy..likes to be scratched..if you stop he'll bite you...he just goes by his name: Rumorcat

Then we got two more...A short haired grey tabby best temperment ever:Calliegirl

And then there is the little one...she is the best..she kind of has a drugged look to her face all the time and kind of walks sideways..she was supposed to be a boy(the owner said she was), but, I knew better..her name is Babycakes..mostly just Baby...

maybe I'll post pics if I remember to take some this weekend..
Cass

Post by Cass »

A friend had a cat with 3 legs.....we used to call her "Tripod". She had a few other mishaps, and lost part of her tail and an ear. We then started calling her "Lucky". :lol: Haven't seen her for a while....hope she hasn't lost any more appendages! :o

Cass.
Cass.

Time flies like an arrow....
....Fruit flies like a banana