An Unapologetically Uncharitable Post by Nanohedron

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

An Unapologetically Uncharitable Post by Nanohedron

Post by Nanohedron »

WARNING: EGREGIOUS VIOLATION OF "THE PEPSI RULE" AHEAD:

For those of you unaware of the Jimmy John's Gourmet Sandwiches franchise, their TV ads are at best vapid, stupid, and/or infantile.

If I ever meet the person who authorised this TV ad, I'm going to say, "Hey, I've always wanted to meet you," and then punch him square in the nose for polluting the tranquility of my home to say nothing of forcing a waste of air time on the public with such moronic idiocy. It's not even funny. Although I think it's supposed to be. To someone, anyway. Although I couldn't imagine who that would be except some brainless legbreaker's character from The Sopranos.

Yes, I don't have to watch it. No, I shouldn't not have to. Put that in your sub and eat it.

That is all.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
rh

Post by rh »

yikes, what an obnoxious ad!
there is no end to the walking
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Thank you.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Flogging Jason

Post by Flogging Jason »

Your Ptahhotep quote should be modified to reflect your distaste for that franchise. But keep the bit about winelessness being bad. :)

It's late and I'm goin to bed but I'll watch the clip tomorrow and express my opinion. I already have a bad feeling...anyone who gives such a podunk name to their business is bound to make other bad decisions.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I won't argue the name; it's the original owner's, a Lithuanian expat who made good. It is what it is. You have to agree it's got a ring to it. Could be worse, right?

As for the rest of it, I'd be surprised if they haven't lost business for their latest marketing attempts.
Last edited by Nanohedron on Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny

Post by Denny »

would ya be upset if I didn't watch it?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

No. Consider it as saving yourself some real aggravation. Trust me.
Denny

Post by Denny »

good! I shall. I do. :D
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

What an idiotic ad! That's supposed to make me want to buy a sandwich?

That's as bad as the Sponge Monkeys promoting Quiznos...they always made me want to check under the bloody pepper bar for dust bunnies!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Quizno's has bloody peppers? Ew. Now I know I'm never going there. :wink:

But I don't think I've seen those ads of which you speak, Red. Maybe they are California-specific or something? Here in loverly Minnesota we get the Us-vs.-Them shtick, but all we really see is Them: represented by a bespectacled, affable, dorky college-student type at the till, as if that in itself were a liability. One of their lines is a clumsily conceived thing about how you can get a better French Dip sandwich at Quizno's...*cue to the "competition's" hapless rep waving nicely at you*..."without the dip." Terrible, really.

- It is patent, Quizno's, that you are whoring yourself out to The Beautiful People, and I tell you the bees of revolution will not lose your scent.
scottielvr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scottielvr »

Nanohedron wrote: But I don't think I've seen those ads of which you speak, Red.
Well, aren't you in for a treat. That would be these. Live dangerously; play the clip.

I'd like to say that the aether has been a slightly less desperate place since the noisome Spongemonkeys went away. But then... I saw the ad you posted, and knew despair.

:wink:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Mercifully, Windows won't let me play the file. But I read the article, and I have to say that for these fellas...

...I am probably in all three camps ("What are these creatures?", "You gotta be kidding", and "This is genius advertising!") equally, absenting an actual viewing. Please don't throw things at me. I do have a soft spot for some bad taste.

And I see that I've been inserting an apostrophe where it doesn't belong. I promise to stop that from now on. "Quiznos" (note my making good on my word) it shall be, then.
scottielvr wrote:But then... I saw the ad you posted, and knew despair.
It's like a cartoon entertainment for psychopathic toddlers. I dread that this may well be art to come. O tempora. O mores.
Cass
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cass »

Just looked. WHAT was that????? Does the food taste as good as the ad looks?? :boggle:

Cass.
Cass.

Time flies like an arrow....
....Fruit flies like a banana
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

That's a really horrible ad.

But now I'm thinking about sandwiches and there's an hour until lunch...
emmline

Post by emmline »

I don't understand this ad at all.
What is the thing that screams as it falls?
It looks like a red sun.

So the primary objection is that the commercial is little more than a protracted scream?

I'm not saying that's not obnoxious, I was just expecting to be offended, but maybe I would be if I had to hear that more than once.