McGee Rudall or Pratten Perfected

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
CranberryDog
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

McGee Rudall or Pratten Perfected

Post by CranberryDog »

I am interested in the keyless McGee Rudall and or Pratten Prefected in blackwood with the long D foot, eccentric bore head and rounded rectangle embrochure. My application is playing sessions and recording. Experience level is that of an enlightened novice; I know what I don't know. I played flute (Armstrong in a rock and jazz context) years ago; played whistles for many years as well as pipes and have thirty odd years of guitar playing. Anyone have experience with either flute? I want a strong, professional quaity flute. Thank you in advance.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I've played a McGee pratten model once. It was a wonderful flute. Unfortunately, I didn't ask the owner the headjoint design. Very nice playing flute though. I can't recall now if it was 6 or 8 key...but I think it was an 8 key.

Eric
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Might e mail Doc Jones. He's had a lot
of experience with T Mc flutes of all
kinds.
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

jim stone wrote:Might e mail Doc Jones. He's had a lot
of experience with T Mc flutes of all
kinds.
\

I've talked with Doc Jones often. A great source. Just trying to get some player insight. Thanks.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I've got a 6-key blackwood Pratten of Terry's; it has the rounded rectangle embouchure. It's a great, solid flute; never has a bad day. Amazingly light for its size, too. I affectionately call mine "Hoss" if that gives you any idea as to its personality. :-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

I got to play one of Terry's keyless prattens at Augusta last week. Nice player, although it had the improved elliptical embouchure, like my GLP has. Very enjoyable flute to play.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

Thanks for the comments folks. BTW, it's not a question of which maker; I am totally sold on Terry McGee; it's a question of Rudall or Pratten. I am leaning towards Pratten.

I can see the bumper sticker: "Honk if you love ITM".
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Don't be silly.

The obvious answer to get one of each.

:party:
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Both the McGee Rudall Perfected and the McGee Pratten have plenty of volume, especially with the rounded rectangle embouchure. The Pratten has a bit more of an edge, a bit more "Bark". The Rudall is warmer and more complex with a sweeter top end. Both are fabulous.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
eilam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eilam »

different tools for different jobs.
if you want volume, the McGee Pratten has the biggest sound out of any flutes i have owned.
my personal take is, that with a very focused embouchure, even a smaller holed flute can carry great, but it takes a lot of practice, and goes fast once the Guinness come into play ;)
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

eilam wrote:different tools for different jobs.
if you want volume, the McGee Pratten has the biggest sound out of any flutes i have owned.
my personal take is, that with a very focused embouchure, even a smaller holed flute can carry great, but it takes a lot of practice, and goes fast once the Guinness come into play ;)
True, the Pratten is louder. Also true that a guy with the chops can get plenty of volume out of any of Terry's embouchures.

The Rudall perfected has plenty of punch for any session. If you want the biggest stick on the block get the Pratten.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School