Harry Potter 7 SPOILER discussion

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

emmline wrote:I felt kind of bad for the little whimpering sniveling thing under the bench in the Kings Cross Station scene. I presume it was the piece of Voldemort which had been inhabiting Harry, and which he could only separate from by dying.
It was...and it did evoke pity, but as Dumbledore said, there was nothing that could be done for it.

Tom Riddle, like Harry Potter, had the choice, and chose what he became.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Charlene
antispam: No

Post by Charlene »

I'm about halfway through but I've checked out the ending, so I know Harry survives. I was sad about Hedwig.

The part with the details about the night Harry's parents died was interesting.

Off to read more.
Charlene
hathair_bláth

Post by hathair_bláth »

gonzo914 wrote:Too bad about Fred. I like to think he became a ghost at Hogwarts, and that George became the Charms professor after Flitwick retired.
I think Fred's death was the hardest to sink in. It was totally unexpected, for me at least. But I can see him joining Peeves for some ghostly mischief around Hogwarts.

What about Neville? He really changed in the last three books. Completely changed. In the first book I was wondering how in the world he got into Gryffindor, but in the last three he really started kicking some tail! And I thought it was cool he ended up as Herbology professor. Who knows, Head of Gryffindor one day?
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

I was very glad that the final battle was at Hogwarts. (Where else could it have been, really?)

The biggest surprise, to me, was that Harry and Ginny named one of their children after Snape. That's maturity and forgiveness far beyond anything Harry had displayed previously, and a very fitting end to the book (and series). Well done, J. K. Rowling!
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I thought most everybody was gonna die. So I was surprised. Just finished the Brit edition.

I think this one read faster. Otherwise, how could I have read it in two sittings?

As we just saw the new movie, I was prepared for Neville to be capable. It was kind of a good feeling.

I have to say, I can't get Rickman out of my head whenever I read Snape. I too was amused by the connections.

There was only one of those "why can't they see this" things, which was the Snitch's real purpose. As soon as I read about the Hallows, it became obvious. I kept expecting them to whack it with the sword.

And, losing the sword before the end of the story caught me by surprise. No Frodo here...

I do think its funny that all of the pre-release speculation was about who would die, whereas really, it's who survived that was the story. And the set-up for the certain death of Harry. I almost think she mighta re-written the ending at the last minute just to confound the speculations. It worked.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

jsluder wrote:I was very glad that the final battle was at Hogwarts. (Where else could it have been, really?)

The biggest surprise, to me, was that Harry and Ginny named one of their children after Snape. That's maturity and forgiveness far beyond anything Harry had displayed previously, and a very fitting end to the book (and series). Well done, J. K. Rowling!
Well... he did end up with a very intimate knowledge of just who Snape really was, and he did, finally, fully understand that Snape had indeed been on the good side all along, just had to keep enough on the bad side to pass for one of MoldyVoldy's followers. I thought the name was a good tribute.

I wish she'd given us just a bit more on the raising of Remus and Tonks' kiddo, and the like... ah well... you can't have everything.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
emmline

Post by emmline »

anniemcu wrote:I wish she'd given us just a bit more on the raising of Remus and Tonks' kiddo, and the like... ah well... you can't have everything.
Well, the latest newswires quote Rowling as saying she's planning to work on an encyclopedia of characters which would give further details on the backgrounds and lives of people she couldn't cover adequately in the books.
djm

Post by djm »

Weeks wrote:I almost think she mighta re-written the ending at the last minute just to confound the speculations. It worked.
Well, she did. For quite a while she was quoted as saying she knew the end of the last chapter, and that the last sentence ended with the word "scar." Then in an interview this past April she revealed that this had changed, but she didn't say why. I was speculated that she did it to throw off the speculators. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
emmline

Post by emmline »

The biggest bone of contention re Hallows seems to be readers' opinions of the epilogue. Some find it Disneyesque and out of character. Others are disappointed at not getting sufficient info on characters of interest to them.
Having just reread that section, I would say it reminds me of a Peter Pan type of life-goes-on thing. (At the end of PP, Wendy's daughter Jane flies off with Peter, and Wendy is wistful...you knew that, right?)
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I'm going back and rereading the entire series.

What's extremely cool is even in the first book there is foreshadowing of the events of book 7, and even a few clues thrown in.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

anniemcu wrote:
jsluder wrote:The biggest surprise, to me, was that Harry and Ginny named one of their children after Snape. That's maturity and forgiveness far beyond anything Harry had displayed previously, and a very fitting end to the book (and series). Well done, J. K. Rowling!
Well... he did end up with a very intimate knowledge of just who Snape really was, and he did, finally, fully understand that Snape had indeed been on the good side all along, just had to keep enough on the bad side to pass for one of MoldyVoldy's followers. I thought the name was a good tribute.
True. But my point is that a less mature Harry wouldn't have been able to do that. I appreciate that Rowling's characters actually grow, both physically and emotionally. So many fictional characters are emotionally static.
djm

Post by djm »

jsluder wrote:So many fictional characters are emotionally static.
And rightly so. What good is a symbol if the thing keeps changing on you? :wink:

djm
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

djm wrote:
jsluder wrote:So many fictional characters are emotionally static.
And rightly so. What good is a symbol if the thing keeps changing on you? :wink:
Heh. Good point. :)
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

I love the theme of redemption. Snape and Percy most obviously, but also Ron ("He knew you'd want to come back"), Kreachur, Neville (my favorite charactor), Mrs. Weasley, even Dumbledore himself. I like, and very firmly believe, that it's never too late to change.

What Harry says to Ron upon his return is profound: It isn't the leaving that matters, in the end. It's the coming back.

I thought the last chapter was a bit too cute (though naming the kid after Snape was a very nice touch), and it didn't satisfy. I found myself wondering what became of George, Luna, and Lupine Jr, especially.

Then I reminded myself that none of them were or are real, so no worries. And I went to sleep. :D

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
djm

Post by djm »

WyoBadger wrote:I found myself wondering what became of George, Luna, and Lupine Jr, especially.
Wasn't the character at the end of the book named Teddy the Lupin Jr you refer to?

djm