Off To California (I am + tune)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
pixyy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Off To California (I am + tune)

Post by pixyy »

On the Flute Forum Pixyy wrote:To keep this On Topic to the flute forum here's a quick recording of
OFF TO CALIFORNIA on my Aebi FLUTE.

With that taken care of, on to Other News:

I will be making my first visit to the US in the second week of september!!!
This is work related and I probably will have little 'free' time, but I'm quite exited about this.
The company I work for has office in Carpinteria and I will be staying in a hotel in Santa Barbara for the week. I'm aiming to arrive Sept. 10, official meeting days are tuesday-thursday and i am trying to stay on and have the friday off (maybe saturday too, I haven't arranged flights yet).

I saw the film Sideways, which was recorded in Santa Barbara County. The landscape looks very nice.

Anything else I need to do? Chiffers to meet? Places to visit? Drinks to drink? Other advice? :party:
(possibly all in the span of one day :D)

Looking forward to the new experience!

cheers,
Jeroen
YAY - I'm going California 8)
(and yes I'm trying to forget the 18 hour journey and the fact that I need to work).

Cheers,
Jeroen
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

So where in California are you going off to???
djm

Post by djm »

fel bautista wrote:So where in California are you going off to?
Which part of California has gone off? :boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
sbhikes

Post by sbhikes »

He's coming to my home town! Santa Barbara. Land of Sideways. I believe he intends to do a little wine tasting, which is always a good idea. However the Sideways country is about an hour out of town.

The backcountry is on fire right now, but the city is lovely as ever. Foxen Canyon Road has good wine tasting. So far that's not on fire or closed. http://www.inciweb.org/incident/770/ You can taste a fair bit of wine in town too.
~Diane

My Credentials as a rank beginner on the flute
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

djm wrote:

djm
Oh, it's at least a little off all over . . . :lol:

Jeroen - if you have the free time and want a few giggles you might want to visit Solvang while you're here. It's about 30-40 minutes north of Santa Barbara on Highway 101 (Actually, about 3 miles east of 101. Easy to find, though).

The reason I think it might amuse you is that the town was founded (nearly a century ago) by a bunch of Danish educators. These days, the town plays on its Danish heritage (think of a Disneyland version of a Danish town) as a tourist destination.

Taken on its own terms, the town can be fun. We're visiting this weekend - between the town and the local wineries, it's a good for a couple of leisurely days. But they tend to panic when a real Dane visits. If you want to be *really* evil, you can try talking to them in Danish.
:twisted:
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

mmm....Foxen Canyon road- Yes it does have some good vineyards . I tried to have dinner at the Hitching Post after Sideways was out. Couldn't get in till 9 o'clock ( got there at 7:30 on a Friday) :sniffle:

I don't think any part of CA has fallen off, (YET)
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

DCrom wrote:
djm wrote:

djm
Oh, it's at least a little off all over . . . :lol:

Jeroen - if you have the free time and want a few giggles you might want to visit Solvang while you're here. It's about 30-40 minutes north of Santa Barbara on Highway 101 (Actually, about 3 miles east of 101. Easy to find, though).

The reason I think it might amuse you is that the town was founded (nearly a century ago) by a bunch of Danish educators. These days, the town plays on its Danish heritage (think of a Disneyland version of a Danish town) as a tourist destination.

Taken on its own terms, the town can be fun. We're visiting this weekend - between the town and the local wineries, it's a good for a couple of leisurely days. But they tend to panic when a real Dane visits. If you want to be *really* evil, you can try talking to them in Danish.
:twisted:
I agree. A real Scandahoovian has to see Solvang.

But don't forget to visit the Missions, Santa Barbara and Santa Ines while you are there. Integral to our history.

You'll love SB.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Damn, I've been to California probably a dozen times and still never been to Santa Barbara, about which I've heard only good things. Never been to Yosemite either.

Enjoy, Jeroen!
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Flying Cement

Post by Flying Cement »

my favorite zeppelin song
It doesn't mean that much to me
To mean that much to you
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Thanks all!

My collegues talked about Solvang - and giggles sounds like what it's good for :-) I'm not danish though, but from what I heard the town is a mix of lots of Scandinavian and other European bits and bobs.

All tips are really appreciated.
We have some free time with the work team too, and I'm looking for alternamtive suggestions to f.ex. Disneyland (as my boss suggested :boggle: )

sbhikes, it's a pity there's no session in the week I'm visiting... I may bring a flute anyways :)

Thanks again,
Jeroen
pixyy

Post by pixyy »

small update, now that I have my itinerary.
Flying Copenhagen>Munich>Los Angeles>Santa Barbara on monday Sept.10 arriving 6:15pm local time

Leaving Santa Barbara on saturday Sept.15 at 1:20pm.

considering that I only have 3 official working days i should be having one whole day free to explore the area. I'm afraid though that that one got hi-jacked for "off site team building" (meaning excursions) as soon as my boss saw the itinerary :sniffle: I did ever so discretely suggest that Disneylans was NOT hogh on my wish list.
Suggestions are still welcome of what could be fun to see.

I'd like to get a good sense of the place and nature whilst I'm there - so I'm trying to steer the tours away from disney, Hollywood and aquariums :-)

I'll try and meet Eilam whilst I'm there, but if there's others in the area that want to say hi, please drop me a PM. I think I'll have to play it by ear when I get there.

cheers,
Jeroen
sbhikes

Post by sbhikes »

Try to get the wine tasting on the agenda for team building. Or maybe see if you can go whale watching or out to the Channel Islands. Much better than Disneyland.
~Diane

My Credentials as a rank beginner on the flute
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

pixyy wrote:small update, now that I have my itinerary.
Flying Copenhagen>Munich>Los Angeles>Santa Barbara on monday Sept.10 arriving 6:15pm local time

Leaving Santa Barbara on saturday Sept.15 at 1:20pm.

considering that I only have 3 official working days i should be having one whole day free to explore the area. I'm afraid though that that one got hi-jacked for "off site team building" (meaning excursions) as soon as my boss saw the itinerary :sniffle: I did ever so discretely suggest that Disneylans was NOT hogh on my wish list.
Suggestions are still welcome of what could be fun to see.

I'd like to get a good sense of the place and nature whilst I'm there - so I'm trying to steer the tours away from disney, Hollywood and aquariums :-)

I'll try and meet Eilam whilst I'm there, but if there's others in the area that want to say hi, please drop me a PM. I think I'll have to play it by ear when I get there.

cheers,
Jeroen
Ah, Disneyland is great! And quintessentially American. If you go, be sure to spend time at California Adventure (and don't forget to ride "Soarin' over California).

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!