Look at this face

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
carrie

Look at this face

Post by carrie »

I came across this in the course of my work and was so taken with the face--and the worlds of experience behind it--that I wanted to share it here.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/lewis ... 13_24.html

/cf
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Photos can never give us the knowledge of the person, but they can sure stir emotions... and the more you know and can empathize with people, the more you will see in the still capture of their visage... especially old folk. Venerable age usually carries so much depth of experience and feeling. This one is indeed riveting.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Anstapa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Anstapa »

Sereneness is the only word that I can think of at this quick moment, looking at the photograph and it doesn't even begin to tell the story of her life that brought her to that instance of the taking of her photograph.

I can see why you were taken by the photograph, thank you for posting it.

Anstapa
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Anstapa wrote:Sereneness is the only word that I can think of at this quick moment, looking at the photograph and it doesn't even begin to tell the story of her life that brought her to that instance of the taking of her photograph.

I can see why you were taken by the photograph, thank you for posting it.

Anstapa
Her?
National Geographic wrote:Photograph of Klickitat man ...
:wink:

Thanks for the link, carrie. It is, indeed, a striking photograph.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Anstapa

Post by Anstapa »

Her? I apologize it does state a Klickitat man but if you hide the description and just look at the photograph as I did, it would be hard to tell the gender of the person being photographed.

Anstapa
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I lived in the arid southwest for thirty years. I saw that a lifetime of sun exposure coupled with low humidity takes its toll on the skin regardless of your ethnic origin. Weatherbeaten faces of the elderly are not uncommon. It is hard for me to read the emotion on the man's face in the photograph. At the bare minimum I can say that it is an authentic face, one that projects a certain serenity that old folks from all cultures often portray.
djm

Post by djm »

Doug_Tipple wrote:It is hard for me to read the emotion on the man's face in the photograph.
That's exactly what I thought. When I saw that face the first impression I got was, "Stoned again." :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

djm wrote:
Doug_Tipple wrote:It is hard for me to read the emotion on the man's face in the photograph.
That's exactly what I thought. When I saw that face the first impression I got was, "Stoned again." :D

djm
Funny... I got something completely different. But this is the wrong forum for that discussion.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I saw it and the first thing that came to mind was - "sad", then I immediately changed my impression to "wisdom that comes from experience" - that's what I see - great photo.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

charles bronson?
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

I'd have to go with a negative on the above post... :lol:
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

The Klickitat man has such a remarkable face and I think, too, that the photograph of the face was done so well, the way the light falls, etc. It really is a stunning portrait.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

i totally loved the picture. that's a face that isn't going to show surprise anytime soon.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

I was looking at some of the pictures of neighboring tribes and came across this;
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/lewis ... 13_26.html
This has some personal meaning for me. I lived on the Palouse, in Moscow Idaho for most of my life. The rolling hills are almost ideal for dry land wheat production. There are no significant areas still in the native vegetation, just fragments that contain a bit of the native life, including my old friend the giant Palouse earthworm; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Palouse_earthworm (I saw two in one day in my church compost heap, but I didn’t document it!). My dad was present on an archaeological dig at the confluence of the Palouse and Snake Rivers when a Jefferson Peace Medal was found, one of the very medals given out by Lewis and Clark. Palouse means “it sticks into the water” as there is a rock formation that looks like Beaver or Coyote pulling their canoe out of the water where the Palouse and Snake meet. The Palouse Indians are technically extinct, but there are people who can claim more than 50% Palouse ancestry. My dad the anthropologist has strong connections with the Nez Pierce Indians, close relatives of the Palouse, as he was a trusted intermediary between them and his fellow whites.