Being 10yrs old again!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Cass
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Being 10yrs old again!

Post by Cass »

I decided (after ages of putting it off...), to go ice skating again, after a break of about 21 years! ("Baaaad move", I hear some of you say!! and I was beginning to think so myself, at first!)
I dug my skates out, and could hardly stand up in them, never mind venture out onto that slippery stuff, but I thought "what the heck!, the worst that can happen is that I end up in traction!" :o
Well, I've not enjoyed myself so much in ages! It was sooooo much fun. I just had a permanent grin fixed on my face.
I fell over once. (It was one of those spectacular falls, where your arms and legs are going like windmills, and it seems like 5 hours before your bum hits the ice...it gave several small children a laugh anyway!!)

I literally felt 10 years old again(...erm, OK, well 20 years old then)! It was fantastic. (I couldn't move the day after though!)
:o

It's good to do something silly once in a while! :lol:

What haven't you done for ages, and wish you could start doing again?......(no rude answers!!! ...I'm an innocent young thing!!:boggle: )

Cass.
Cass.

Time flies like an arrow....
....Fruit flies like a banana
Anstapa

Post by Anstapa »

I heard of all the flooding in your area and more rain on the way but when did it freeze over, I saw nothing on the news about this, this morning! :boggle:

If I were ten again. It was the year we moved from Southern Ontario to Atikokan, in Northwest Ontario. From being an inner city kid of streets and alleys to rivers, more trees than a ten year old could ever count, cliffs to climb, cold lakes to swim in and a black bears at your back door! That is when I fell in love with the north country.

Anstapa
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film
Cass

Post by Cass »

Sounds amazing. Wish we still had bears and wolves in the UK! There's been talk of re-introducing them to the wilder places, but nothing's happened yet.

Fortunately, the floods are nowhere near to us. We live on a hill, so if we got flooded, everyone else would be seriously under water.....biblical proportions!
It's been a bit of a chilly non-summer, but not THAT cold! :lol:
I love the winter...better than summer. We haven't had a good hard winter in ages either. All the seasons seem to be merging into just two seasons. A cold wet one, and a slightly warmer wet one!
The last really big snow fall I was stuck in, was on Shetland a couple of years ago. I loved it!! When we could finally get out of the house, I made a seriously big snowman!!
:D

Cass.
Cass.

emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Ok...I'd like to run around barefoot on a golfcourse when no one's playing.

Also, and most importantly, I'd like to believe someone else is in charge for a little while.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

emmline wrote:Ok...I'd like to run around barefoot on a golfcourse when no one's playing.
You really should just do it, emm. It's well worth it :) The grass is so soft and cool on your feet. Running around barefooted on a golf course should be compulsory, but then I'm the type who runs around barefooted in almost any grass whenever I can :party:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Anstapa

Post by Anstapa »

Think of all the worms you would find in the dewy grass of the evening with your toes!

Anstapa
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film
sbhikes

Post by sbhikes »

When I want a silly grin and to feel like a kid again, I ride my go-kart. (Actually, it's just a recumbent tricycle, but it feels like a go-kart).

http://www.catrike.com
~Diane

My Credentials as a rank beginner on the flute
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

izzarina wrote:
emmline wrote:Ok...I'd like to run around barefoot on a golfcourse when no one's playing.
You really should just do it, emm. It's well worth it :) The grass is so soft and cool on your feet. Running around barefooted on a golf course should be compulsory, but then I'm the type who runs around barefooted in almost any grass whenever I can :party:
You wouldn't want to try that in my yard- at least half of the green color is thistles. Ouch!

When I was 10 I spent most of my waking hours(when not in school) on horseback. If not riding I was in the barn, swingin' out over the creek on a big old grapevine, or trampin' up and down the wooded mountains of our farm. Farms are great places for kids. I'd like to do that again-or have the energy to think I could. I quit riding when I became the primary breadwinner in the house- just too risky.

I really think Em has the right idea- NO RESPONSIBILITY for a bit would be nice.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Cass

Post by Cass »

There are some ornamental fountains, right in the middle of Liverpool. They rise up straight out of the pavement in a long archway of water jets, and last summer loads of little kids were running through and getting soaking wet. I was with my mum, and said "I've always wanted to run through those...here hold my handbag"! and off I went. Got a round of applause too!
Snow angels are good too! ..and sledging! (All the silly things I do, seem to revolve around water in some form or other!) :D

Cass. :D
Cass.

djm

Post by djm »

Cass wrote:All the silly things I do, seem to revolve around water in some form or other!
Does that mean you're all wet? :D

(sorry, couldn't resist)

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Yeah, adult life can be so dry....

Do you mean, doing things now that are 10-yrs-old-ish?

Or, a do-over from when you were 10?

I'm constantly doing the things I did when I was 10 :D (I spend most of the day w/ an 11-yr-old who's a lot like me as a kid). Raise caterpillars (we've got a big aquarium of them on the livingroom table :boggle:) catch bugs in the garden, listen to birds, have lots of pets...f*rt jokes....slapstick humor...deep discussions about the meaning of life way too late at night...procrastinate on bedtime :lol:

A while ago we went to a crafts store and spent half an hour blowing over the tops of decorative vases to see which had the best tone. :lol:

Do-overs?
I wish I had made friends with more kinds of people instead of sticking w/ my little geeky clique.

That's great about the ice-skating Cass!

I also tried to get back into skating this past winter. Kevin loved it and did great, though w/ many spectacular falls (the friend we were with called him The Human Zamboni).
But I messed up my knees and had to start going to physical therapy. :swear:
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

So far this year things that we have done that fits into the same category.

Ice skating
Sledding
Flown a kite
Played with a Frisbee (and got rid of one of those Aerobie monstrosities)
Gone to the beach for a swim
Used the swing set while there

Probably missed something.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Cass

Post by Cass »

djm wrote: Does that mean you're all wet? :D
I beg your pardon??? :boggle: . Actually, I think I'm beginning to grow gills, it's rained here that much! :o

My husband likes to ride on the trolleys at the supermarket, when he thinks there's no one looking! A little kid saw him once, and copied him. He ran over his mothers' feet and into the back of a shopper. I just hid when the kid turned to his mum and said....."but that man over there was doing it too, so it's OK!"

We're a great influence on the younger generation! :D

Cass.
Cass.

fyffer

Post by fyffer »

I love to climb trees.
At 38, I'm still spry enough to do so.
At 38, I'm old enough to feel it the next day.
At 38, I'm brittle enough that if I fall, I'll be out of commision for quite some time.

Still, all that poetically said, as soon as my grass seed takes (just had a new septic system put in!!), I'm gonna build that tree house I've been promising my kids for years. And I just may spend more time in it than them.

:)

Oh, and I read HP books too (no spoilers here, please. I'm on page 223).
:)
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I took up rollerblading a couple of years ago. Running and cycling have taken their toll on my knees, so rollerblading seemed like a logical transition. I really didn't do well -- took a nasty spill the second time out and all but broke a finger. My then 4-year-old daughter got a kick out of it. I still want to learn. I really need to do something besides running, and rollerblading really looks fun and beneficial. Didn't exactly make me feel 10. ;)
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.